Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Promo Talk    What are your top 3 favorite promo cards or sets?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your top 3 favorite promo cards or sets?
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here's Card #1:

Posts: 4390 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Oooh thats easily the best card. Smile

Posts: 29001 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
A great topic Albert, I may borrow that for another project...
My fav promo cads/set, in no particular order would be,

1. Tempo Trading Cards from 1997, mainly because I'm finding many more "business card" promos with the gold foil names, than are listed in PCE

2. Hollywood Horrors from 1993, as a 1 card set, don't know why but it really just appeals to me

3. Spaceshots from 1990 as a 9 card set and I just love space related promos, for me, these just light my fuse lol

An Honorable mention must go to On Guard: The Heritage Collection from 1992, love the foil lettering and very cool finish on the cards.

Please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots... Metal Thumb Up

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
A great topic Albert, I may borrow that for another project...
My fav promo cads/set, in no particular order would be,

3. Spaceshots from 1990 as a 9 card set and I just love space related promos, for me, these just light my fuse lol

Please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots... Metal Thumb Up

Hello, my Downunder friend! I love space-related cards as well. Are you familiar with the 1991 embossed five-card Astronaut Memorial Proof set from Spaceshots? Reportedly, only 175 were made and given to VIP members at the dedication ceremony.

In my opinion, there were fewer than that made/released as these have been extremely difficult to find even when they first became known to the promo card collector community.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello, my Downunder friend! I love space-related cards as well. Are you familiar with the 1991 embossed five-card Astronaut Memorial Proof set from Spaceshots? Reportedly, only 175 were made and given to VIP members at the dedication ceremony.

In my opinion, there were fewer than that made/released as these have been extremely difficult to find even when they first became known to the promo card collector community.

Gday mate, how's Costa Rica treating you ?

No, I didn't know that about the 1991 Astronaut Memorial Proof set. Sounds interesting. The hunt and wants list continues Wavey Wave

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
So far, so good. I've been enjoying selling my collection but unfortunately, I can't send anything by certified mail from here to either Australia or New Zealand and that's the only way I ship nowadays because the rates from here are very reasonable. Correos De Costa Rica will ship by certified mail to 85% of all countries and thankfully all packages have arrived safe and sound to their destinations around the world! I can't wait till they reopen yours and Piko's.

I've tried to find out when that will happen, but I have yet to receive an adequate answer from the authorities. I'll let you know when I do. They call that attitude "pura vida" here, which translates to "pure life" but what it really means is "whenever, man" a la Bart Simpson!

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Albert are you talking about that 5 card set that comes in the box ? I have that one. I think I bought it from Bill back in the 90s for $ 20.

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Exactly that one, David. Bill and Fran each had only one in their collections. I've owned 1 set plus now theirs. Yours makes it the fourth. I wonder how many more are in the hands of CardTalk members? I doubt many! Again, I just don't think there were 175 made or distributed unless most of the dignitaries who attended the inauguration are still holding on to theirs almost 33 years later.

Perhaps fellow members can respond to this post if they own one of these sets so we can tabulate the number of them in private hands and establish some rarity scale for them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have one too and agree it's scarce, rarely offered for sale. I would also assume attendees at the memorial probably kept their sets but they might've ended up in a box forgotten or in the trash. It seems unlikely that many would have come on the market even if someone at the event realized that such a limited space-related card set would be in demand and tried to acquire as many as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Exactly that one, David. Bill and Fran each had only one in their collections. I've owned 1 set plus now theirs. Yours makes it the fourth. I wonder how many more are in the hands of CardTalk members? I doubt many! Again, I just don't think there were 175 made or distributed unless most of the dignitaries who attended the inauguration are still holding on to theirs almost 33 years later.

Perhaps fellow members can respond to this post if they own one of these sets so we can tabulate the number of them in private hands and establish some rarity scale for them.

Posts: 4390 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I put the cards in my binder with other space related promos.

Not sure where the box is. Smile

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love space-related cards as well.

My current favorite astronaut cards are the STS mission sets put out (I think) by NASA contractors in the late 1990s. (to see what they look like, search "STS Mission cards -patch" on ebay - there are usually some available) I've seen them for all missions between STS-75 and STS-96 except 92, and I've seen (but can't confirm) that there was no set issued for that mission.

Did you see the Nasa Emeritus cards I posted here?

quote:

I've got one.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I had checked them out. Very interesting cards and definitely collectible.

Do you know of anyone else who owns the Spaceshots Proof set?

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you know of anyone else who owns the Spaceshots Proof set?

Nope.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
same... hmm, maybe just one bloke I know north of the equator ! Metal