Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Sketch Card Gallery Rules & Entries    2010 NSU Card Talk Sketch Card Gallery Rules and Regulations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 NSU Card Talk Sketch Card Gallery Rules and Regulations
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
To NSU Card Talk Members and Guests:

Well, here we are again. Peter Jambrits (aka "slackjawedjokel" here on NSU Card Talk) has come to me with a new and improved Sketch Card Event for 2010. Notice I didn't say "contest". Peter is trying to de-emphasize the contest portion this time and make if more of a gallery of sketch cards. He is doing this to try and get even more people to enter (the crazy guy even wants me to enter -- we'll see about that Big Grin).

Peter really works hard on these contest, er., events, so I hope you'll read over the rules below and enter. And encourage your hobby friends to enter as well. If you have children, please try and get them to enter as well. It's fun -- who doesn't like to draw after all. And even though we're not using the "contest" word, there are still prizes!

I really want to thank Peter for all his hard work on this, both this year, and for all the past years as well. Thank you Peter! Now please read on to see what Peter has in store for 2010.

BACKGROUND:

Hi. My name is Peter Jambrits (aka slackjawedyokel on Card Talk) and I want to personally thank all those contestants who submitted sketch cards for the contests held between the years 2005 to 2007. I apologize for not being able to have this contest in 2008 and 2009 but as many of you are aware life sometimes has a way of playing tricks on you and for me it was quite eventful. I humbly ask that you accept my sincerest apologies for not continuing the contest during the years mentioned above. I am pleased to announce that I am continuing to host, with the gracious support of Harris Toser at NSU, a place for each of you to once again display your sketch card art. Unlike in previous years I have decided to remove the contest aspect and turn this into a gallery to showcase each of your individual pieces of art.

I will now outline the basic elements of the Sketch Card Gallery.

GALLERY DETAILS:

First and foremost this is about having fun. I would like you to try your hand at creating hand-rendered sketch cards of a character or scene from your favorite TV or movie. I must stress that these cards MUST BE HAND DRAWN as no digital submissions will be accepted. The reason I say this is quite simple - when you open a box/pack of your favorite cards and happen to be lucky enough to pull a sketch card, the card itself has been hand rendered. I would simply like to follow this same premise for the contest.

I leave it up to your imagination as to what you can create. We have two stipulations:
  • Keep it clean
  • Put your best effort into each sketch(es)

The sketch cards must be hand-drawn in a media (Pencil, Ink, Colored Pencil, Markers, Paint, etc...) of your choice. Both Color and Black and White submissions will be accepted. Blank sketch cards can be purchased from your local comic book/hobby shop or you may create your sketch by first purchasing a piece of cardstock, paper or similar art medium from a local art/stationary store and cutting it to the dimensions illustrated on the template provided (see below):

SKETCH CARD TEMPLATE:

Both portrait and landscape sketch cards are acceptable.

If you are sending me a pre-purchased card from a local hobby/art/comic book store or from a site online it is pre-cut to the correct dimensions and you simply need to sketch on it, slip it into an envelope and mail it to the address listed below.

However, if you need to cut your card I ask that you be as precise as possible and comply with the 2.5" (65mm) x 3.5" (90mm) measurements. Parents - I ask that you either pre-cut sketch cards for your children to sketch on or cut them after they are finished. It is probably best to do the latter.

You may by all means work on a larger card and trim your sketch to the correct dimensions. In fact, I recommend this. For those who found out previously it is a little difficult to work on sketch cards as they are rather small in size.

I have eliminated the logo spaces at the top and bottom of the portrait style and the logo space at the top of a landscape style card as this was only used to identify the winners from previous years contests. Since this is no longer a contest I see no need in keeping these logo areas. Besides, it frees up the canvas so you are able to create your individual masterpieces on a larger area.

SUBMISSIONS:

Each person is allowed to submit as many sketches as they would like. There is no maximum or minimum.

The gallery will be open from early August and will close on December 15th, 2010. Please make sure all submissions are postmarked no later than the close date.

At the end of the Gallery closing if you would like your sketch(es) returned I will offer this option to each of you. Please note that you will be responsible for the return postage.

Each of you will create your submission(s) and on the back will write the following:

Character, Scene, or Character in a Scene
Name (First and Last)
E-mail Address

Parents of those entering who are under the age of 13, I ask that you also include your name and e-mail and/or street address. I am requesting this information in the event your son/daughter is chosen as one of the random prize recipients. I will mail the prize to your attention, and not your son/daughter.

All submissions will be mailed to my address and I will take each individual entry and scan and post them on this thread for all of you to see. My address is as follows:

2010 Sketch Card Gallery
550 Paularino Ave. #J205
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
USA

AGE GROUPS:

Put simply there is no age groups. This gallery is open to everyone of all ages and abilities. It is open to all Card Talk members, their families, friends and guests on the forum, professional artists, those with aspirations to become a professional artist or those who are creating and selling commissioned works of art.

RANDOM PRIZES:

Yes, there will be random prizes available to all who enter. I figure that each of you is hard at work creating your masterpieces so it is only fair that I offer a few prizes to a couple of lucky individuals. The number of random prizes will be based on the number of sketches that I receive. The ratio will be determined at the random prize dates. I have set aside two days to hold these random drawings: Oct 15th and Dec 15th.

How this all works? Well, it’s actually quite simple. As I receive each of your sketches they will be assigned a number – 1,2,3, and so on... When the calendar reaches October 15th I will gather all the sketches I have received and I will use a random number generator that I search for on Google and use this generator to determine the lucky winner(s). I will run the generator and will see which number is the first to appear 3 times in a sequential order. As an example:

1, 2, 5, 1, 7, 8, 9, 3, 5, 7, 2, 4, 10, 8, 6, 2, 10, 1, 4, 5, 6…

And the number "2" sketch is the lucky recipient of the random prize. Yippee!!! If the ratio of sketches to prizes favors more then one prize being awarded on either Oct 15th or Dec 15th then I will continue with the next number in the same sequence. So the number “1” sketch would also win a prize if I was awarding two prizes. And so on...

Now I am sure all of you have some questions with regards to submitting multiple sketches. Hopefully the following information will shed some light on the intricacies of entering multiple sketches. As an example, if you enter 3 sketches prior to the Oct 15th drawing and one of your cards is chosen to receive the random prize that sketch is no longer able to be awarded another prize. But the other two are and will be set aside until the Dec 15th drawing. Once the Gallery closes I have a special surprise in store. But I will not give this away until the end of December because I am so sneaky and devious Smile

What are the random prizes exactly? Good question right! Well, it will vary depending on the artist's age and that is exactly why I have asked each of you to write it on the back of your sketch(es). The prizes will be awarded in amounts totaling, and not exceeding, $50 (all US figures) and will consist of one of the following:

Art Supplies
Gift Certificates
School Supplies (Children only)
NSU 1-year Subscriptions (Adults only)
Artist Sketch Cards

FINAL THOUGHTS:

I would like to remind all of you that this is all about having fun. I kindly ask that each of you take a few hours out of your busy schedules and participate in something I truly believe is fun. I urge all to participate and you have 4+ months to submit something, so you have plenty of time to practice and get something sketched. If you have any questions concerning this contest please address them in the Questions and Answers thread in this section.

I would like to take a moment to personally thank Mr Harris Toser for sticking with me through the "dark" years and allowing me to continue to use the Card Talk forum as a vessel with which I may offer a bit of respite from your working/studying lives and instill some wonderful art for all of us to see. Harris you are a gentlemen and a scholar and I kindly thank you.

Sincerest Thanks – Peter Jambrits (slackjawedyokel)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H_Toser,

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post