Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Russell:
We could get someone from Australia to obtain a jar full of bulldog ants and toss in a tarantula...they could film it and we'd take a poll who'd win and how long it would last...

A cruel idea, I know Wink

Hmmm... I'd go along with the idea of it being filmed. I really would not want to be anywhere near the action. Shake Head

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I just watched "Bug Attack" on Fox and it was very informative. We have enough killer bugs to keep this thread going for years.

The giant Japanese Wasps were amazing, but the spiders still are the creepiest.

When down in Missouri one year, we visited the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield. It's a big store, and they have live animal exhibits throughout the store. We saw a small case with Brown Recluse Spiders, that are very poisonous. That night, I'm sitting on the floor in my wife's grandmother's living room, and see one these things come out from under the couch right next to me.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised .....

- that with all the posts in this discussion thread, that nobody's mentioned the insert sets from the "Crocodile Hunter" card set. One features deadly reptiles and the other shows lethal insects. And the way the semi foil refractor set was done, it makes these creepy crawlies appear even more scary. Eek

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never interfere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
I don't because I HATE bugs. Not so much hearing about them, but looking at them. Sorry, but if we get a Killer Bug Review out, I won't be buying... I get the willies just watching a fly's red eyethingies- {shudders}

That link Wendi set up awhile back, from the AZ Republic. They had big stories on it here. The girl was allergic to the ants, they weren't deadly.

I won't be in this thread long. Next time, talk about scorpions! Now they're fun!

If a killer ant bites you, how long do you have to live?

And ants living 16 years? They never got near MY foot.

I think I'm gonna capture some and let them play Russian Roulette... their prize will be a "sugar cube" hehhehheh Shake Head

"Hey! No one ruins our family vacations except me!... and maybe the boy!"- Homer Simpson

http://hometown.aol.com/prezkott29/myhomepage/sale.html

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
I'm not scared of no stiiiinking bugs... Big Grin

I'll just be off back under my mosquito net to put on this full-body insect repelling suit, if that's okay... Razz

Actually, last night I watched a film about a giant mutant sabretooth tiger and some giant mutant rattlesnakes.

Summer madness, obviously.

--
xSaBx :: Mistress of Stuff ::

'I swear I am completely unimpressed by clever answers'
REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DisneyChick74
posted Hide Post
I was watching Jeff Corwin on Animal planet and they showed a recently killed animal on the savanna and showed a time lapsed thing on how fast its cleaned off...MAN the maggots and ants covered this thing and had it GONE in no time...it was freaky! but pretty cool to watch.

Here is an interesting facts of the leaf cutter ant...kinda cool...who would have thought ants were this complex???

No one has actually observed mating between leaf cutter ants; however, entomologists estimate that females mate with from three to eight males. They then store 206 to 320 million sperm, for 10 or more years, in their spermatheca. A queen ant can produce up to 150 million daughters, many of which are workers. Once a queen establishes a nest, she'll produce eggs for the duration of its existence, which can range from 11 to 15 1/2 years.

BTW for thoes of you who get Discovery KIDS! on Cable ...Aug 6th at 8 and 11PM there is going to be a DEADLY BUGS show on :O)

WHAT??! Did everyone Eat their CRAZY flakes This morning? ~XANDER
~~~WILL WORK FOR CARDS~~~

Posts: 1055 | Location: Cinderellas Castle | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DisneyChick74:

BTW for thoes of you who get Discovery KIDS! on Cable ...Aug 6th at 8 and 11PM there is going to be a DEADLY BUGS show on :O)

NOT WHILE IM HOME!!!!
LOL

http://mtlhddoc2.8m.com

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
While vacationing in Greece some years back, I was in a bar that ran video clips (accompanied by the usual club dance music) of a tarantula fighting a wasp. They looped it over and over. It was rather disconcerting. I'm not a big fan of the tarantula.

BTW, the wasp won.

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
How come this topic hasn't been rated? How can we give it a five star rating?

-----
"Who knows where thoughts come from? Sometimes, they just appear."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCW:
How come this topic hasn't been rated? How can we give it a five star rating?

I gave it a 5...

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
Okay, I missed all the happenings in this thread since yesterday, so I have a bit of ground to cover. First, Don, I considered the Brown Recluse, but unless you are allergic, you wont die from being bitten, it will just cause your flesh to rot, and you might loose a limb. Cool, yes! Deadly, only on rare occasions. Paul, I like the jar of Bulldog ants vs' the scorpion. Maybe each issue could feature a face off between 2 species of killer insects. Third, I have the Lethal insects cards at home, but I'm not their so I can't remember which are in that set, but we could definitely have an article about card sets that feature killer insects.

http://www.geocities.com/race51fan/
http://www.geocities.com/space_cards/

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dobby The House Elf:
Third, I have the Lethal insects cards at home, but I'm not their so I can't remember which are in that set, but we could definitely have an article about card sets that feature killer insects.

/

What a great idea for an article. Now we need an instant graemlin that says "ewww" Wink

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update on the ants: I've been out in the garden for a cigarette and I'm sad to report that they have now started to rebuild. I'll bide my time and let them start to think they're gonna be OK before obliterating them again. Mind games, even with ants is fun Smile

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a Sir Peter Ustinov anecdote about his childhood - he was in the garden killing insects (quite possibly ants) and doing it with some reslishuntil stopped by his grandfather, who told him "You were enjoying it too much."

Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paulbines

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
I am reminded of a Sir Peter Ustinov anecdote about his childhood - he was in the garden killing insects (quite possibly ants) and doing it with some reslishuntil stopped by his grandfather, who told him "You were enjoying it too much."

Ustinov is a very good speaker. He is the vice chancellor at Durham University and his graduation speech that we got was very funny. My graduation involved sitting in Harry Potter's dining hall (from the first movie) which is Durham castle's Great Hall, listening to a speech and then going to shake Sir Peter Ustinov's hand.

PS. Sorry there were no ants mentioned in that story, but at least there was a castle Smile

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
I was flipping channels, and FX had fire ants (when I was looking for Buffy)... but now it's the X-Files... maybe an episode about ants? Big Grin

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -James Danforth Quayle

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prezkot:
I was flipping channels, and FX had fire ants (when I was looking for Buffy)... but now it's the X-Files... maybe an episode about ants? Big Grin

Oddly enough, The X-Files never had an episode with deadly ants. After ten years, you would have thought the mighty bulldog ant would have received mention *LOL* Perhaps that could be the premise of the next movie (should they ever do one) - the alien ant conspiracy. We know Don would go see it daily Big Grin

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I'm just worried about BCW. He got 12 cans of beer today, been sitting around in the backyard, sipping beer, and then he was going to attack the ant hill again.

This time, the ants could win...

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I'm just worried about BCW. He got 12 cans of beer today, been sitting around in the backyard, sipping beer, and then he was going to attack the ant hill again.

This time, the ants could win...

When last I spoke with him he was eating dinner. Perhaps an ant burger??

Regards,

Paul Russell

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oddly enough, The X-Files never had an episode with deadly ants.

They did have one on cockroaches though!!!

*Mike*
It's funny till someone gets hurt.....
Then its hilarious.

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post