Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Rich
posted Hide Post
I’ve been away from Cardtalk for quite a while, busy with life and such, and have been lurking a bit lately. I missed the old Killer Ant thread so I just had to look it up. Not quite dead yet! Big Grin

These are for Don….some interesting ant facts!

Ants stretch before they wake up. They also appear to yawn in a very human manner before taking up the tasks of the day.

An ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated. (I’d like to see how they test this in the lab!) Roll Eyes

Posts: 768 | Location: Kokomo, IN | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich!
I have heard however, that ants never sleep. They used to run a bit about this on the Kid's Discovery Channel. Perhaps they go dormant for a while.

As to ants always falling over on their right side, I cannot dispute this... on the instances when I have been intoxicated, I beleive I fell over on my right side as well.

Sorry i have no ant stories to tell everyone, this has been neither a very dry or very wet summer, and we have had no ant problems, but i just killed one of the largest spiders I've ever seen recently.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
39 pages of Killer ants, are they dead yet?! Big Grin

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Rich
posted Hide Post
Hi Don. I had a large, very ugly spider try to ambush me last week. It spun a web across my door in the night and I only just saw the spider itself in time not to walk into it. It's web covered most of the lower half of the door! Eek It had been busy! I relocated it to my yard.

As for ants sleeping, you may be correct. I saw conflicting info on that while looking for something to post. I found this on the San Diego Zoo's website:

"Do ants sleep?
It hasn't been studied much, but some scientists say that yes, ants do sleep. It's not exactly like human sleep, but ants seem to go through cycles or periods of rest and inactivity in which their body functions and brain activity slow down. It may seem like ants don't sleep because some part of the colony is always busy, but individual ants do need to rest."

I decided to post that weird fact after seeing this info. Sounds like no one is really sure. Maybe you can research it and let us know! Wink

Strange that they don't know for sure if they sleep, but know which side they fall on when they're drunk! Big Grin

Posts: 768 | Location: Kokomo, IN | Registered: January 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
It must be said that I haven't seen many ants this Summer. Not like the Summer of '03 at all. However, my new flat does seem to attract spiders. I spent about 10 minutes the other week trying to capture one. It was a wily bugger I tell you. Massive too. In fact it may well have been a Killer Spider...

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
I had an ant problem a few years back but they stopped coming in the house when dryer sheets were placed at the point of entry. For some reason they do not appear to like them. Which of course is good for me. Im just hoping that my cat doesnt decide to make them toys.

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Glad to say I didn't have any ants getting into the food problem this year. Woot!!

And now from the news desk, the most recent story on ant activity comes from a location just heading into the new fall season:

"Here we've had a rather unfocused invasion last week. While there didn't appear to be a singular target, enemy forces took a lethal beating upon their intrusion. Regardless of the fate of their kin, nothing seemed to stem the tide of these insect invaders for a couple days. Fortunately, enemy activity was very localized, and ended as quickly as it began. If past years are any indication, this continuing problem won't recur until mid spring next year. This gives us ample time to prepare defences against this mindless invasion."

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It must be said that I haven't seen many ants this Summer. Not like the Summer of '03 at all. However, my new flat does seem to attract spiders.

Has it occurred to you that the reason you haven't seen many ants lately is that the wily spidey has been eating them all? Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
quote:
It must be said that I haven't seen many ants this Summer. Not like the Summer of '03 at all. However, my new flat does seem to attract spiders.

Has it occurred to you that the reason you haven't seen many ants lately is that the wily spidey has been eating them all? Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul

Metal

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
if you watch the asian film "Old Boy" there is a giant ant riding the subway, and there is a scene where the main character gets swarmed by ants.

they are breaking onto the big screen

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Rich
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, I bet there are some great Killer Ant's in Breygent's new Poster set! I can't wait! Big Grin

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Yes Rich, THEM! featured giant ants - I'm sure this one must be in there.

Another film had giant grasshoppers destroying Chicago - anyone recall the name of that one?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
i was thinking of resureccting this post the other day, but had no news from the front line.

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
What's the point of this topic. Do you all have ant problems?????????

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
Or maybe instead of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

"Invasion of the Killer Ants"

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post

(found via Google Images - I thought it might be a fun seasonal post!)
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
lol Big Grin

A belgian hiphop group

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Cool- it's "Anta Claus"!

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Rich
posted Hide Post
My favorite thread has been quiet, so I thought I'd try an ebay search to see if Killer Ants were represented and of course, they are! Big Grin

Attack of the Killer Ants by Betsy Haynes (1997)

"The school picnic is crawling with ants. So Ryan and Alex step on them and drown them. They think they've seen the last of the ants--until something big and ugly and hairy follows them home." Eek

By the way, I'm not the seller of this item (and I'm not buying it either!)

Oh, and suddenly I feel slightly more tan, maybe even, you could say, Bronze! Cool

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Oohhh! Ya beat me to it!

No better place to happen than in the "Killer Ants" thread too LOL

I wonder if there still any dopey queen ants wandering around in the bathroom at work... they should be kinda hungry by now.