Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
Okay - I'm officially freaked out. Anyone wishing to be freaked out too can check out one of the Bulldog ants here.

I am NEVER going to Australia again!

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is turning into one of the best threads ever! How 'bout those Bulldog ants?

This is why God gave me size 14 feet!

Wendi, thanks for all the Killer Ants flicks. Some of them I've seen. My favorite is "Green Hell" with Charlton Heston, I think, versus South American Army Ants.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DoctorChristmasJones
posted Hide Post
I bet some people eat those things. "Tastes like chicken!"

Posts: 2272 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Wow! This is turning into one of the best threads ever! How 'bout those Bulldog ants?

Hmmm...me thinks Don has gone off the deep end *LOL* Those critters look ghastly! I'd hate to run into one of them on a dark night (or anytime for that matter).

Regards,

Paul Russell

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with...molecular structures." -- Ash, Army of Darkness

Posts: 1242 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Just go to western Oz. They don't seem to have crossed the desert (i.e. the middle bit).

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
Who knew that the Killer Ant thread would become so popular?

It's a shame that Don spoiled the fun for Wendi though, although my original royalty post was made in jest (but the follow up about the court jester wasn't. Amuse me, Paul!)

-----
"Who knows where thoughts come from? Sometimes, they just appear."

Buffy/Angel collector?
http://www.buffycards.co.uk

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Sorry Wendi, if I spoiled the fun for you. Yesterday I was at work, the boss was bugging me, I didn't want to be there, and all I wanted to hear about was Killer Ants.

Thanks BCW, for being attacked by the Killer Ants in the first place and starting this, the greatest of all threads, in the first place.

It was educational for all of us, I'm sure not too many of us knew about the Bulldog ant or what he looked like. Let's hope Paul R. hasn't had too many nightmares about Bulldog ants.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks BCW, for being attacked by the Killer Ants in the first place and starting this, the greatest of all threads, in the first place.

So Don, if this is "the greatest of all threads" will it be making an appearance in your Cards Online column? Wink

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I'm wracking my brain here to figure out a way to work Killer Ants into my next column. Unfortunately, the next one I write will come out in November, so, unless we keep this thread going some how, Killer Ants will be forgotten, and some new menace, perhaps Giant Spiders or something, will take over.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of kathywc
posted Hide Post
Actually I recently saw a DIscovery Channel Show on Killer ants, and it was quite fascinating. I don't remember the name of the show, but it was frightening.

Me...I just keep getting invaded by the local sweet eating ant, and it's driving me crazy. I spent the weekend in the hallway where we keep the cats stuff. The cat food bowl was alive. I sprayed them with a dollar store variety of disinfectant and it killed them (which in itself is kinda frightening since the name brand type doesn't seem to do the same thing). The I sat there armed with a caulk gun and waited to see where the remaining ones tried to escape. Killed them and filled the hole with caulk......<EG>

Maybe I should change my handle to:

Kathy Ant Slayer

kathy warrior counselor

www.geocities.com/warrior_counselor/index.html

Posts: 708 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Paul Russell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's hope Paul R. hasn't had too many nightmares about Bulldog ants.

Considering my office looks like the haunted mansion, I don't think nightmares will be a problem (unless they revolve around the Teletubbies or Barney). As long as I stay away from Australia, I'll be a-okay *LOL*

To work the ants into your column, you could talk about possible threats to card collections. With those pincers, I'm sure they could cut cards to shreds Wink

Regards,

Paul Russell

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet some people eat those things. "Tastes like chicken!" --- DoctorChristmasJones

- Actually .... they taste more like potato sticks (w/o the salt).

[ It's amazing what one will eat when dropped into the middle of the jungle for survival training. ]

@@@ ScottEvil Cool

"I am a WATCHER, part of a secret society of men and women who observe and record but never interfere, we know the truth about immortals ....... In the end there can be only one !"

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vincent
posted Hide Post
They don't look THAT big...the picture shows the ant on a leaf, correct? I was imagining a foot long giant ant that terrorizes the western coast of Australia...munching on unsuspecting tourists...*shudders*

View my trading card page at http://www.geocities.com/kataztrophik/

Posts: 173 | Location: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: July 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of xst
posted Hide Post
YUK! Eek

Happy Stargating!

Posts: 1395 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
And the killer ant saga continues...

I think this thread should be moved over to the greatest hits just for Don Smile

C'mon chaps keep up the b(ant)er and Don will have to mention it in his next column somehow.

-----

Buffy/Angel collector?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
Ok Don, we need to know the truth behind your obsession with killer ants Wink

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Prezkot
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that black bugger ( Razz) looks creepy. I hate insects...

quote:
To work the ants into your column, you could talk about possible threats to card collections. With those pincers, I'm sure they could cut cards to shreds

Termites would work really good especially for those pesky 19th century tobacco cards! Wink

"Hey! No one ruins our family vacations except me!... and maybe the boy!"- Homer Simpson

http://hometown.aol.com/prezkott29/myhomepage/sale.html

Posts: 1320 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: June 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever kicked (accidently, while walking, never on purpose!) a Red fire ant hill in the south!!?? Those suckers swarm, and sting you like crazy. My Grandmother, as conservative as she is, stripped down to her undies on the side of the road in Louisianna because they had stopped, and she stepped out of the car, right into an ant hill. You don't walk through your yard without shoes, in Louisianna!! (Or Australia I see!)

Clark: "Chloe, don't you ever knock?"
Chloe: "It's a barn, Clark."
http://www.geocities.com/race51fan/
http://www.geocities.com/space_cards/

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
No, but I remember burning ants with a magnifying glass on hot summer days when I was a kid

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Wendi! Burning ants with a magnifier? You little sadist, you!

My obsession with Killer Ants is inexplicable. I just like the title "Killer Ants". There's no connection to card collecting, unless you include the giant Killer Ants in Mars Attacks!

I have no ant stories myself, just the usual every few months or so finding some in the house. We find them occasionally in the dishwasher, there's food orts and water in there, so they like it. Then it's "bath time", and their clean, scalded, little corpses get flushed down the disposal.