Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
dont ask why i decided to search for this, i just did.

quote:
The life span of the ant varies from caste to caste, and species to species. the workers of some species live only for a few weeks, whereas other may live for several years. The queen of the tiny 'Pharaoh ant, Monomorium pharoanis, may live for only three months, but the queen of Lasius niger can live for up to 15 years or so. Incidentally, the record for ant longevity is held by a queen of L.niger who, in a German laboratory nest, lived for 29 years.

man i need to seek help, or the pub, or my pillow.

*edit*

why do i even bother???

quote:
Of the estimated 11,006 or so described species (Sleigh, 2003) of ant living throughout the world today, Britain has no more than 50. Ants are sun loving creatures and our cooler climate is not suited to many of them, however, the species we have here are certainly worthy of study. Many British ants can only be found in Western and Southern England, with Dorset and Hampshire being the most rich in species.

just be lucky in the Uk we dont have termites, and the ones we may have, in no way compare to the ones i saw in australia, you could drive a car into one of their nests, and write off your car, and barely damage it Eek

for reference

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Neil, thanks for this info, very much of a surprise to know an ant can live to be 29.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
well thats the record, id say prolly about 10yrs for common ants.

pah

im full of useless knowledge i am, especially when im tired and it all just walks out of my mouth Big Grin

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:

very much of a surprise to know an ant can live to be 29.

Not if i see it first. Twak

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
good one wolfie Big Grin

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil:
dont ask why i decided to search for this, i just did.

[QUOTE] Incidentally, the record for ant longevity is held by a queen of L.niger who, in a German laboratory nest, lived for 29 years.

A new insect series...THE HIGHLANTER...there can BE only one!

Can you imagine the lone scientist who volunteered to babysit an ant that lived to be 29 years old??? Sounds like a government job.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I just felt the need to sing a witney Houston song.

"I believe Killer ants are our future, teach them now and let them lead the way. Let killer ants know the beauty they possess inside."

Spring forth my little killer ants and remember what Whitney says, "Crack is Whack".

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Dear Points of View.

Why oh why oh why oh why ants. Twak

Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells. Mad

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Barrett,next time you get an urge to sing...take a shower Big Grin

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad

No, No, No, No, No!!!!! Twak

no more ants Twak Twak

Confused
of course since i juat posted this, it will continue Razz

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Spring is getting nearer - and soon we will be awash in horrific killer ant tales.

Who will win this time... us?... or THEM?!

Only time will tell.
Long live the killer ants thread. New members are urged to go back and read all 34 pages of this important and timeless thread.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I don't really know anything about this ants thread, but I wanted to be a part of it. I had an ant farm as a child, does this have anything to do with that? Can you still get an ant farm, or is it illegal? Confused

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I had an ant farm too, but I quickly gave it up when I realized how hard it was to milk the ants.

Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
milk......an......ant....... Confused

Don?

i now officaly dislike you for putting that image in my head Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Who will win this time... us?... or THEM?!

Don, it is only a matter of time before the ants take over. For some reason I think you may be one of the people at the front of the line for slaughter by the ants when that happens, what with your predilection for wanting to wipe out their entire species.

And I too would recommend all 'Talkers to reasd this thread from start to finish, especially if you want to read a Wolfie-free thread (apart from a few posts). That in itself is a very rare thing on this board.

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Who,s woke him up. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BCW:

And I too would recommend all 'Talkers to reasd this thread from start to finish, especially if you want to read a Wolfie-free thread (apart from a few posts). That in itself is a very rare thing on this board.

Would this not be a sign of the anTopocolypse.
<runs to duck>

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
Yea! The ants are back and so is BCW!!! What a great day!

Clap

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I once got an Ant Farm for X-mas but when I sent off for my ants the container broke at the post office. They made my mom go down to the post office and sign for the 17 ants that were left in the container and a little baggie with a whole lot of dead ants in it. Those are the kind of things that stick with a kid forever.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
and along with ants come, spiders, and erm flys, and sweaty pits etc.

but longer days, hotter days, sunnier days, Frown wheres my dark room when i need one.