Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rich on reaching bronze Thumb Up

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
So the time is drawing nearer, they forces are being amassed, and soon they will strike.

What can we do to stop them? Nothing my friends. We can only do damage prevention. :P

Havent seen any as of yet, but as its getting hotter earlier in the year, i can only say that they will be here sooner than you think!

Keep watching the ground!

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Boldlygone
posted Hide Post
Not seen any ants yet but I had a nasty encounter with a HUGE!!! wasp yesterday.

It was sleeping in a shirt of mine folded in a drawer, (it must have crept in whilst it was on the washing line) and was a mightily pi88ed when I tried to wear it. Consiquently it stung me on my upper arm.

I am now double checking every item of clothing before putting it on.

If the gods had decreed that I HAD to be stung by a wasp, It could at least have been a Radioactive wasp then i could have been Wasp-Man and had my own comic, card and movie franchise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If faced with a difficult choice/decision, Remember this - WWKD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never give up - NEVER surrender

Posts: 4214 | Location: Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few ants in my street. Can't be sure their Killer Ants though. Big Grin

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the gods had decreed that I HAD to be stung by a wasp, It could at least have been a Radioactive wasp then i could have been Wasp-Man and had my own comic, card and movie franchise

If that DOES happen, let's do lunch... (though you will obviously have to promise to keep off the jam Big Grin )
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
last week there were lots of ants out and about, this week has been 20-50 mile an hour winds and now rain

"No Amount of therapy will ever make this moment ok."

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
oh it's the never-ending March Of The Ants thread again Twak

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
I like this time of year... the ants always get resurrected. It just goes to show that ants are hard to kill...

Posts: 1847 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
They're back!

At least I think they're back... You be the judge.

This weekend, I saw a whole pack of killer ants. (I'm sorry- did you say pack?) I'm only assuming they were killer ants, only because there were so many. The victim was a defenceless french fry. At the time of sighting, the french fry was dead. I can't say for sure whether the ants killed it, but they were making short work of its remains. It could be these ants came across the carcass of a french fry that was already dead, in which case these ants wouldn't be classified as killer ants. Not necessarily, at least. I will also add the fact that they didn't seem very threatening, either, and they were rather small despite their number.

Nonetheless, even if this turns out to be a false alarm, the fact remains that the ants have become active again, and it won't be long before the menace of killer ants rears its ugly head once more.

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm a little slow on this release, but hey, I've been busy.

Killer ants in the house! Over the course of a month, we've had the unwelcome invaders breach the sanctity of my oh so humble abode. And we retaliated in a not so humble manner. After a long and arduous struggle, it appears the cause has prevailed once again, and the killer ants are no longer a threat in this immediate locale.

However, we remain vigilant and are ready to suppress the next invasion, should the situation arise.

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
Komodo, have you been taking you medicine lately? Big Grin

Posts: 9361 | Location: grants, nm, usa | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Does it show?

You should see what happens if I don't...!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
You don't turn into a giant ant do you?

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
To quote a famous Ant
"Don't tread on an ant,he's done nothing to you
There might come a day when he's treading on you
Don't tread on an ant,you'll end up black & blue
Cut off his head, legs come looking for you"

You have been warned!!!

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Good advice! Words to live by.

And no, I haven't turned into a giant ant, yet. Something must be working right Wink

Picture of metal slug
posted Hide Post
Don't know how I could have missed this thread. Maybe drawn to it after a long time battle with 2 very large ants nests which seemed to grow each time I did battle. Then the nests were joined by a two lane highway as the little buggers shared resources in their fight for survival. They laughed at ant powder and environmentally friendly options just did not cut it. Then the waepon of mass destruction laid them out in 24 hours. Bit of a letdown really.

Still have two nests left but these guys kill white ants (termites) so there is a little live and let live.

The little ants that sneek inside don't last the distance. Little guys can't survive a two pronged attack from me and the big guys outside. Almost feel sorry for them
Not the killer ants from early in the thread but feisty non the less. Can give a nasty bite. The Bulldog ant (know them as jumping ants) don't have to chase you they jump onto you. Don't want to know them.

How about a spider called a huntsman. Not named for his ability to run when you try to catch him but spiders are another thread.

Posts: 11 | Location: Heathcote Australia | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
many MANY MANY ants around here these days

too many maybe? Confused

after all, this is New Mexico

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, we have plenty of them in South Carolina, somewhat east of Grants. I've stopped walking around the yard barefoot or in sandals, even if it's just to pick up the mail.

One variety that some of my friends and co-workers have been encountering is known as "Cow Killer Ants", although we were disturbed to find out that they aren't technically ants at all, but a variety of wasp. Still the name keeps them on-topic.

But my real contribution is another observation. I have a bag of diazanon granules that I keep handy for spreading on new ant colonies. It turned out to be a popular spot. Last time I used it, I found a layer of other geni and species, including some of our monster crickets and yard roaches, who had unluckily found their way into the sack. I figured I should spread the carcasses on the ant hills and let them serve as a warning: "Go to the neighbors' yard, you aren't welcome here."

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of starwolf1001
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
I figured I should spread the carcasses on the ant hills and let them serve as a warning: "Go to the neighbors' yard, you aren't welcome here."

and if that doesn't work you could try sticking them on skewers and then laughing maniacaly
bwahh ha ha Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
Im thinking of small signs made up with the words "Turn Back" "Beware All Ye who enter" "Next Exit 5miles"

Things to throw the ants of guard.