Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 43
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Wendi,
You can always pick up a HAVAHART chickmunk trap. This will catch him without hurting him.
It looks like a small cage.
You just bait the trap and wait.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Ants, giant bugs, chipmunks, it's us against nature folks.
Andrew, your story about the giant bug was interesting. It brought back memories of my youth. As a young man in Vietnam, we were plagued by giant beetles that could fly. They didn't look like they should be able to fly, they were round and about 2 inches long. We called them loaches, which was what we also called our small observation helicopters. The grand-daddy of all bugs was one I found in a field one day while waiting for a helicopter ride. It was dead, and it was over 4 inches long. It was some kind of roach, and even though it was very large, it was missing it's head, so it must have been much larger when alive.
Not to take away from what you saw, a beetle that large in a non-tropical area is very huge.

Keep slaying, everyone!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Wendi,
You can always pick up a HAVAHART chickmunk trap. This will catch him without hurting him.
It looks like a small cage.
You just bait the trap and wait.

Then what am I suppose to do with him?? We did that once with a raccoon and then we couldn't get rid of it. We would be fined if we let it go in the forest preserves so we waited until it got dark and went to a near by park but then it wouldn't come out of the cage. It was more trouble than anything! Sorry don't feel sorry for this chipmunk, it just looks like another rodent and rodents aren't allowed at my house!!!

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Here you call animal control and they take the animal away. We sell bobcat havaharts all the time and when you catch those guys-Look out! The animal control people love to deal with live wild bobcats in cages I'm sure!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
We caught the chipmunk!!!! The bucket of water didn't work. All the peanuts were gone and no sign of any animal. However, that darn chipmunk wasn't too smart. As I said earlier, it was always running back and forth well one time it was running around and my hubby was running around after it, it ran right into to gutter down spout. My husband covered it with a plastic garbage bag and waited for it to come out. When it did he closed the bag and drove it over to the park. No more chipmunk for us and now he is playing in the park!!!

Posts: 2211 | Location: IL, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an amusing article that I found in the January/February 2004 issue of The Canadian Philatelist.Perhaps we can convince one of the card companies to do the same Wink

the lighter side of Philatelic Writing

By Steve Thompson

New Country Honours Its "Small" Residents

The newly independent island of Abracadabra in the South Pacific is honouring its smallest inhabitants in a big way. The new country's post office is launching its philatelic career by issuing stamps that pay tribute to its famous carpenter ants. One thousand stamps, each featuring a different ant, will be issued on the first anniversary of the country's independence.

"We wanted something native," said postmaster Orluck Dunghem. "We don't want to be like those countries who issue stamps about Rock Stars, Walt Disney, and politicians with whom they nothing in common."

Asked why so many stamps were being issued all at once, he said:"Well, we wanted to catch up to all the issues those other countries have put out in one shot. And you know collectors. Once they start collecting an issue, they want all of it. We've got to make money somehow. And we wanted to make sure every famous ant got honoured. Take the one on the first stamp. Two years ago,it ate the right pillar on my porch so that the roof collapsed. What's left of it is still in front of the house as a tourist attraction. People gawk at it all the time. I've made lots of money thanks to the ruins. That's pretty amazing for a little ant."

So, for you thematic collectors who save insects on stamps, get ready. You've got a special event coming next year.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Stupid ants. They sneaked into my house and got into the cat food contain. 7.00worth of cat food thrown out!

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Since the ant Invasion of Horror 12 days ago,I have continued to murder ants in my kitchen. One day I moved a pan in the sink and found 30 of them.
I am making progress, today is the first day I did not see one ant.
Surprisingly, they hang out in the dishwasher. They can get in through the vent and there are tiny orts of food in there.
Of course, the down side is every other day or so, we put in the soap and lock the door...it is a horrific but clean way to die.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silmapco:
So, for you thematic collectors who save insects on stamps, get ready. You've got a special event coming next year.

LOL. It would be great to get a first day cover of the ant stamp.

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
We have ants stamped all the time at my house.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
For ants, try an anteater (Must be expensive though). Chipmunks - was it "Alvin,Simon or Theodore?? Confused Cool I try to bring a smile to you all whenever I can. Thanks All!!! Dance Wave

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
Oh no!!!! I saw another chipmunk!!! But he is not as annoying as the other one was. I have only seen him once. The other one was running around like he owned the place!

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Wendi, somebody has to send you some chipmunk eating ants.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
We have ants stamped all the time at my house.

Ant stamp versus stamped ant:

both are sticky
both are in color
both can be collected

Gee, I think they're the same. Big Grin

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Wendi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Wendi, somebody has to send you some chipmunk eating ants.

Those would be some pretty big ants if they could eat chipmunks!!! Instead, maybe I could train the chipmunk to eat the ants!!!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Get the Pink Panther over there.You all know his theme song (Sing along time - Where is Mitch Miller when you need him??) Dead Ant - Dead Ant - Dead Ant - Dead Ant - Dead Ant - Dead Ant - Dead Ant dum dum dum dum... Elephant (Well,Pink Elephant - Close enough???)

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here an ant nest that I would not want to try to get rid of.

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Some people think this is the dumbest thread we've ever had. It isn't.

Eventually, the Mystery box thread will surpass it, and with good reason. But for now, this is the greatest thread we've ever had. Thanks, Silmapco, for bringing it back.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many miles this thread would be if you lined up each post one after another?

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of angelchick182
posted Hide Post
Wow....I can't believe this thread's still going!?!

Posts: 1681 | Location: Nashville, TN, USA | Registered: July 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post