Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Killer ants
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Very glad to hear you are still alive BCW! But really, it would have been a spectacular and memorable death if the ants HAD gotten you.

I am expectant that it will happen one day.

Wolfie: I'm sure you pine every day at my absence from this board. You can admit it, you big pus-sy cat...

Posts: 1844 | Location: London, UK | Registered: August 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2247 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Jeff, that's amazing. This would make a good subject for a horror film.

Posts: 2681 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
We may have to change this thread to something more current since news of the Killer Ants has died down.

How about Killer Bedbugs! Big Grin

I kid you not, bedbugs have been all the rage in NYC this summer and fall. People have found them in fancy hotels, movie theaters, department stores, schools, etc. You would think that a bedbug would need a bed, but apparently not. Wink

People are actually staying away from the movies because they don't want to bring any of the critters home. As if there wasn't enough to worry about. Frown

Posts: 5996 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Raven Twak Big Grin

If you would like to view my want/have lists,then go to my trading site at the following.
SpiderGoblins Trading Site

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10392 | Location: Amarillo,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Had to laugh when I read the headline stories on CBS News this morning . . .

"Crazy, hairy, biting ants sweep the south"

Yes, the killer ants are still going strong, and I quote (edited):

"The flea-sized critters are called crazy because each forager scrambles randomly at a speed that your average picnic ant, marching one by one, reaches only in video fast-forward. They're called hairy because of the fuzz that, to the naked eye, makes their abdomens look less glossy than those of their slower, bigger cousins.

And they're on the move in Florida, Texas, Mississippi and Louisana. In Texas, they've invaded homes and industrial complexes, urban areas and rural areas. They travel in cargo containers, hay bales, potted plants, motorcycles and moving vans. They overwhelm beehives - one Texas beekeeper was losing 100 a year in 2009. They short out industrial equipment.

If one gets electrcuted, its death releases a chemical cue to attack to the colony . . . The other ants rush in. Before long, you have a ball of ants.

They will eat just about anything - plant or animal.

Texas has temporarily approved two chemicals in its effort to control the ants, and other states are looking at ways to curb their spread.

The hairy ants do wipe out one pest - fire ants - but that's cold comfort."

The mosquitoes that are thriving in my backyard from all the swampy weather don't look so bad now. At least they don't organize. Big Grin

Posts: 5996 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post