Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    My best e-bay find!!!!
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 187
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My best e-bay find!!!!
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:
I picked up a Don Perlin sketch card (Garbage Pail) under $15 - seems like a good deal compared to the $40+ they keep selling for. I have no idea why they've ben so high - $15 seems about right.

Now that the last two have sold $150+ I'm confused - why do these cards sell so HIGH??

eBAY LINKS: http://cgi.ebay.com/Garbage-Pail-Kids-Sketch-Card-Don-P...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
I did some research: >>>>

The sketch cards would only come in the hobby boxes, and the sketch cards were one of the main things used to promote the hobby product. According to the odds printed on the hobby packs, you should get one sketch card per hobby box (i.e., 1 pack out of 36 packs will contain a sketch card).

There were seven different artists that worked on the sketch cards. I had asked some of the artists about their experience with the sketch cards, and my impression was that Topps wanted them to do an unreasonably high amount of sketch cards in a short period of time. The artists told Topps how many sketch cards they thought they could do in the period of time they were given, and each of the artists ended up doing a different amount of sketch cards, which in turn made some sketch cards much more difficult to obtain.

The artists had one month (from approximately February 1, 2005 to February 28, 2005) to complete their sketch cards. Since I did not hear back from all of the artists regarding how many sketch cards they did, I could only provide a rough estimate for how many sketch cards were actually made. Based on what some of the artists told me and what the odds printed on the packaging were, I would estimate that approximately 8,600 to 8,800 sketch cards were made. Topps wanted the artists to create a significantly high amount of sketch cards, so that everyone that purchased a hobby box would be able to get a sketch card.

The artists were each sent back 6 of the sketch cards they had created, and the artists could do whatever they wanted to with them.

Tom Bunk had worked on Garbage Pail Kids since the original series. He had created 300 sketch cards for the All-New Series 4. I was surprised that Tom had even created that many because at the time he was going through chemotherapy, but he definitely wanted to participate on the sketch cards because he has been such an integral part of Garbage Pail Kids history. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 1138, which made his sketch cards the 2nd most difficult to pull. Tom Bunk's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $80 to $300 on auction.

John Czop had only created two Garbage Pail Kids paintings up to the All-New Series 4. He created the All-New Series 2 painting for characters 18a Taylor Tubby / 18b Morgan Organ and the All-New Series 3 painting for characters S6a Gaseous Clay / S6b Hot Aaron. Previous to Garbage Pail Kids, he had done a variety of artwork for comic books, magazines, and other trading card sets. I did not find out the exact amount of sketch cards he had created, but I would estimate that he had only done between 75 and 250 sketch cards. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 3,297, which made his sketch cards the most difficult to pull. John Czop's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $200 to $600 on auction. They did not sell for higher amounts than the other artists' sketch cards because John Czop did them or because the artwork was better than the other artists' artwork. The only reason his cards had been selling for such high amounts is because they were uncommon. I felt it was wrong that there were significantly uneven amounts of sketch cards used from the different artists.

Justin Green had not worked on Garbage Pail Kids previous to the All-New Series 4 sketch cards. While he had worked on underground comics and other artwork projects for decades, I did not understand why he was working on the Garbage Pail Kids sketch cards since he had never been involved with the Garbage Pail Kids before. I did not find out the exact amount of sketch cards he had created, but I would estimate that he had done around 1,000 sketch cards for the All-New Series 4. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 164, which makes his sketch cards the 4th most difficult to pull (he was tied with Don Perlin and Strephon Taylor). Justin Green's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $10 to $50 on auction. He had created a limited number of designs for his sketch cards, but there were a few interesting things he had done on some of his sketch cards such as using White-Out, using highlighter, and using his own fingerprints.

Jay Lynch had worked on Garbage Pail Kids since the original series. He created around 2,000 sketch cards for the All-New Series 4. Jay's sketches are very sharp looking because he had used a crow quill pen to do them. He had also used colored markers on some of his sketch card designs. When collectors first saw some of Jay's sketch cards, they could not believe that the sketches were not printed on them because the artwork looked so clean. On occasion, ink would get smeared on the sketch cards, and Jay would try to make corrections. But for one card, Jay had accidentally smeared ink around the character's mouth, so he added the dialog balloon that said, "This is not an error. I had spaghetti for lunch". On another card, he had accidentally drawn the character upside down. The errors were not done intentionally. If anyone comes across either of these sketch cards, please contact me. Jay had done a very small amount of truly one of a kind sketch cards, but I am sure these will not be too easy to come across. Supposedly, Jay submitted his last 500 sketch cards a little late, so that may explain why some of his repeated designs are more difficult to find than others. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 218, which makes his sketch cards the 3rd most difficult to pull. Jay Lynch's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $10 to $50 on auction, and I am certain some of his one of a kind sketch cards and error cards would sell for significantly more.

Don Perlin had not worked on Garbage Pail Kids previous to the All-New Series 4 sketch cards. While he had worked on a significantly large amount of comics and other artwork projects for several decades, I did not understand why he was working on the Garbage Pail Kids sketch cards since he has never been involved with the Garbage Pail Kids before. He had created around 1,000 sketch cards for the All-New Series 4. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 164, which made his sketch cards the 4th most difficult to pull (he was tied with Justin Green and Strephon Taylor). Don Perlin's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $15 to $200 on auction. Garbage Pail Kids collectors seem to be very interested in Don Perlin's sketches because of the quality of the artwork. Don's sketches of Adam Bomb / Blasted Billy and Nasty Nick / Evil Eddie had sold for over $100.

John Pound had worked on Garbage Pail Kids since the original series, and he is considered to be the most important Garbage Pail Kids artist. He had created 3,197 sketch cards for the All-New Series 4, which was by far the most of any of the artists. Topps wanted John Pound to do the most sketch cards because they knew collectors would want a sketch card from him. The problem with this was that John had to do so many cards that he really could not spend much time on the artwork. He said that he ended up spending less than a minute on each card, and he had to do so many sketch cards that he had to take forced breaks in order to prevent him from ruining his arm, eyes, and back. While it was extremely generous of him to do so many sketch cards for the collectors, there were many collectors that were disappointed that he had not done something more than very simple sketches. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 101, which made his sketch cards the easiest to pull. John Pound's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $5 to $50 on auction. John had done only five different designs: drool, snot, nail in head, Adam Bomb / Blasted Billy, and barf. The "barf" design is the least common and probably would sell for more than his other designs.

Strephon Taylor had created seven Garbage Pail Kids paintings up to the All-New Series 4. He created the All-New Series 2 paintings for characters 6a Leakin' Lee / 6b Joustin' Josh, 14a Scarin' Aaron / 14b Corny Cody, 24a Hairy Henry / 24b Wolfman Jack, and B2 Paintball Paul and the All-New Series 3 paintings for characters S1a Trashy Ashley / S1b Garbage Pail Kim, S8a Despicable Destiny / S8b Nasty Natalie, and B3 Gator Adrian. He created around 1,000 sketch cards for the All-New Series 4. According to what was printed on the hobby pack wrappers, the odds of pulling one of his sketch cards was 1 in 164, which made his sketch cards the 4th most difficult to pull (he was tied with Justin Green and Don Perlin). Strephon Taylor's sketch cards have sold anywhere from $10 to $100 on auction. Strephon originally started creating unique sketches in pencil, but as the deadline neared he began repeating concepts and switched to using black marker.

At the 2005 San Diego Comic-Con International, Jeff Zapata from Topps had brought along some All-New Series 4 sketch card blanks, so he could draw sketches for Garbage Pail Kids fans at the convention. Jeff had done around 40 sketch cards at the Comic-Con, and he wrote "SD 05-" on the cards to show they were done at the San Diego Comic-Con International. A few examples of his sketches are shown above. Strephon Taylor had done a very small amount of sketches at the Comic-Con, also. Jeff's sketches are rare since he had only done them at the San Diego Comic-Con International and did not actually do any for the All-New Series 4. Jeff stated that had used all the sketch card blanks that were left, so he would not be creating any others on the All-New Series 4 sketch card blanks. Jeff's sketch cards are not considered to be part of the All-New Series 4 because they were done exclusively for the 2005 San Diego Comic-Con International, and they were done in an extremely small quantity.

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Three Xena (one auction)Art&Images Gallery Cards for £8.61 Big Grin
Two I need, will probably trade the other, and i'll just need one more for a set!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the Dawn and Riley Autos in yesterday Big Grin , didn't want to post that I won them until I got them, just in case. I was thrilled when I found the bins as I hadn't found any good deals in a long time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tialessa,

Posts: 151 | Location: Sacramento | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
Was it a BIN or did you make an offer?
I bought a Tara from the same person last night - submitted an offer and it was accepted.

But £30 is good for that one Wink I haven't got that one yet.

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was just the regular bin, didn't want to take the chance of submitting an offer since they were already cheap, sweet what did you end up getting the Tara for?

Posts: 151 | Location: Sacramento | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
£40.
I like the Best Offer feature. I got a couple of Buffy binders by submitting offers.
The AU site doesn't have it Frown Hopefully we'll get it soon.

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Won a Charmed Season 1 NSU-1 promo card! Big Grin Big Grin + NSU trading-card sized thankyou card.
For £10 Clap

This means I am just one more promo away (SF-1) from a masterset!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WarriorBabe,

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile
Also got a Hercules:Legendary Journeys auto A16 Gina Torres (Nebula) for BIN $14.99- another card I have been after at a good price.
Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Charmed Season 1 promo SF-1 and two Book of Shadows chase £0.50 total! Big Grin

I think no-one else bid as the card numbers were not listed (I sent seller Question a few days ago)

Very happy as the SF-1 will make a promo masterset!!

Picture of Number_one
posted Hide Post
I bet some days ago on a Dark Angel Collector's edition sealed box. I lost the auction but the seller send me a second chance offer at 56$ + shipping . Should i take it? If i'm not mistaken, it could be a very good deal and a great Ebay find.But i didn't know that there was a collector's edition Confused

Help me
Luc

Posts: 232 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: February 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
There were retail & hobby versions of the card set. The hobby boxes (with 7 autos) had 36 packs/box and the retail 24 packs/box (with just the Byron Mann auto).

Dark Angel Checklist

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Number_one
posted Hide Post
It says on the description: 36 packs. So Raj, it's a very good deal, right?

Posts: 232 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: February 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
If that's what it is then it's a brilliant deal. I paid more than double that for the last box I bought. Just make sure it's a sealed box.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Just received a Bond Dangerous Liaisons Ursula Andress auto (WA19). Big Grin Big Grin It was a second chance offer that worked out just under £100. Big Grin

Just leaves the Roger Moore and Denise Richards autos that I wanted when the set was released. Since I have a Saint Moore auto and a TWINE Richards auto, I may not bother with them.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
Just received a redemption card for Josh Holloway for 75 €, about 25$ below the normal price.

It's now on his way to Inkworks.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Misty-Blue
posted Hide Post
Recently bought Angel Season 4 A24 for US$95.00 Big Grin
That's one of the hard ones down Wink
Plodding along slowly with the Angel autos. Hopefully I'll be finished before retirement, lol!

Posts: 17 | Location: The Garden State | Registered: March 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Just received a Topps 1982 "E.T.- The Extraterrestrial" set for $13 US thru ebay. It books for twice that, but what's so significant here is it has the 3 scarce stickers #10, 11, 12. I thought I'd never even see these, so actually buying them is so satisfying!

ebay rocks! Big time!

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Today I received the Family Guy A4(Mike Henry) auto I won for under $4 Big Grin

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Hercules: Complete Journeys auto A17 Aphrodite (Alexandra Tydings) for $10!! Big Grin
Been after this for ages, I paid more for Ramina (Josephine Davison) who played a minor charater lol!
Smile