Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    TV shows you would like to see cards sets from
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV shows you would like to see cards sets from
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Zhamlau:

Great! We'll be watching your progress.

By the way, do realize that you will not be the first to do this series. Kitchen Sink Press had a MST set announced right before they went out of business (the first time). And there is also a small promotional series of cards that is currently listed in our price guide.

quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
Lets see how far one man who hasnt published a Card set before, can get in the process...then ill try to imagine what if i was a already formed and functional card production company, who has dozens of employees, lawyers, marketing reps who handle projects like this...and ill see how hard i found the process to be. Ill post here off and on about it.

You do realize how silly this is, don't you? There are no non-sport card companys with dozens of employees, lawyers, marketing reps, etc. Upper Deck and Topps might have dozens of employees but they're mostly in sports or confectionery products.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Some attention to spelling and grammar would be nice. It might help with some of those legal documents you will need to prepare for this endeavor.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Also Harris, besides the fact that RA has 6 and Inkworks 8 employees.. Nostalgicards is a one man show, as is Terror Cards... I think Monsterwax is too.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
glad to see the mods are out to throw in some support. And yes, in typing this i did make some spelling and grammer errors...got me there, i guess someone won something now. Topps , btw, is one of the larger Non sport set producing companies, im sure they have the employees i discussed earlier. Upperdeck has also done the same. I sort of figured more then 24 people recieved regular payments for working for that company, from distribution, to show set ups. But, if they are only like 5-6 people total, who do everything from printing the cards by hand to going over the licensing contract, so be it. Anyway, lets just find out how far one person who just wants to find out about this process, can get. Will keep ya posted.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Zhamlou,

I'm willing to support your venture even though I'm not a MS3K fan (just didn't see it when it was on, I wish it was on now). Put me down for two boxes at $20 per if it can be pulled off. But there's a bit of a catch. I'd like to see how close you could come to this (the quote is from you in a different thread where you were wishing a harkening back to the days when things were simpler and cheaper):

quote:
Zhamlou said in a previous thread
[QUOTE]No, i want to be able to get 360 cards for 10-15 dollars, of new product, with good information and photos, no inserts or sketchs. If we are going back to it, thats what we should see. The whole arguement i thought here was basically about the costs in production for new boxes, and the inserts they put in to justify /offset the costs.

The thread I'm quoting can be found [URL=
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...991006851]here[/URL]

Good luck on your venture.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Topps , btw, is one of the larger Non sport set producing companies, im sure they have the employees i discussed earlier.

But Topps doesn't just produce Non-sport - they also produce sports cards, and I wouldn't mind betting that most of their staff are involved in that side of the business.
I might say that CSIDave and I did investigate the costs of printing up trading cards and they didn't work out that cheap - again, we wouldn't have needed to pay for a licence for the set idea we were thinking of producing, but even so it looked to be too expensive (and that was going to be a collated set without even plain packaging!)
If you can actually produce a box for $20 that is equal to the standard of Topps or Inkworks or RA or Comic Images (with or without chase cards of any type) for a nationally (or even internationally) famous franchise and with reasonable shipping, then I'll be one of the first in the queue with an order. Bear in mind that with something like MST3K, it's not just the show rights you need to licence, it's the film rights you need to clear too - and the actor image rights - they might be schlocky 50's B-movies, but they still (for the most part) have copyright protection and copyright owners keen to jump on you if you infringe.
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
$20 a box? Dang, I couldnt even come close to that with non-licnense product when I looked into it, more like My cost, for 12pt stock, glossy photo front, unglossy printed back for a typical "box" of about 200 cards would have been roughly $35. If you can do $20 a box, God bless you, but I doubt that will happen. Yes, there has been a recent setr which beat that price, but it was on 6pt card stock, which is much cheaper. If I had done 6pt, I probably could have gotten about $25 per 200. Your best bet here os to keep the set really small. Like under 50 cards. Most of your costs are in the die cutting.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
Zhamlau,

Any progress reports or updates?

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Back to the subject of this thread...

One word:

Futurama!

Another word:

please??

I'd be happy with a 10 card set, a 23 card set, or a 57 card set only available as a mail in order, with a limited time bonus card offer. Anything!! Bouncey

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
ok, minor update. I have emailed barb. They are literally a 2 man group now, all they are doing is selling ...get this...licensed tshirts and mugs, garbage like that. Jim Mallon, is just freaking gone. From what im getting, they dont like the idea of being contacted by a fan to produce the set. It is sounding like , to me anyway, unless im from a major established company versed in producing sets, its just pointless to talk turkey with em. I am tempted almost to dummy up a company, and re attempt this with them a few months down the road, its unethical sure, but it just reads like they arent taking me serious BECOUSE my name isnt inkworks or topps or something. Ill keep ya posted. This is actually sort of fun, in an odd head against the wall sort of way. I think, i might have better chances now, if i get ahold of some of the creators/actors on the show, and broach the idea of doing a signing first...if i can come at them, with product ideas, maybe some sort of other creator support, it will add some legitimacy.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't give up that easy. Didn't "Uncle Allan" say that he worked on HBO for the Sopranos license for 6 or 7 years?

I thought the whole point of this excercise was to see "what one person, who is tired of being told "DONT LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN", can do...(to) see how far one man who hasnt published a Card set before, can get in the process"

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
Eh, lets not have war, lets make nice. just gonna delete this one. Im not giving uphowever, its only week 2! I dont give up till at least week 4, or i find a shiny penny on the ground and am entranced by it for hours...but thats only happened 2-3 times tops In my life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zhamlau,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
actually, my next idea on this line, would be to do something like gary price does, Or derek Maki facilitates (star wars autographs) to set up a signing maybe. Im pretty sure i can get ahold of TV's frank, Joel, Kevin, Trace. that would be the entire original featured cast (minus Jim Mallon, who sadly i need to talk to even GETTING the possible set ok'd. God , he is tuff to find. Ive thrown out the net trying to get ahold of some misties who keep track, but even they are sorta baffled as to what he is up to, lol). I know he would be required though, so no need to tell me that :-) GOD, i love this stuff!!! What Im thinking now, is that i should look at putting together a signing of all of them, on some big cast item, and see what happens with that. Maybe then BBI would be more receptive to the idea of a card set, even a factory set. LOL, im still wired, the redwings lost, and im so upset i can see red, least i have something to channel the energy into, instead of poking my Ref Voodoo doll lol.

Picture of Hornetsfan
posted Hide Post
Previn went with the Auto'd set for two reasons.

One was definitely the cost. He is still trying to recover from his first venture.

Two it was much easier to do with a less of a up front investment and most of the people that commented on the original product wished there were more inserts/autos.

I was discussing a future set with him and never realized the extreme costs of doing such a thing with the packs/boxes. So basically unless you have a nice chunk of change to invest or have several people to go in with you, it's gonna be very tough to produce a box/pack product.

Posts: 268 | Location: LEMON-ville | Registered: November 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleEarthquakes:
I would love to see a Supernatural set released. It could make a really good set, provided one of the main two would agree to sign.

I second that! Clap I'd be thrilled if they both signed. Luv You

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrian1
posted Hide Post
With respect to the topic at hand (and I haven't read everyone's posts, so might be some repeats).

Most of my favorite shows have been done, but others that I'd like to see are:

Mutant X
Earth: Final Conflict
Las Vegas

If those have already been done, then please let me know!

Posts: 23 | Location: Great White North | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FUTURAMA

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought of another show: SCRUBS! I love SCRUBS! Luv You

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Number_one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charmedmad:
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FUTURAMA

Me too !! Big Grin

Posts: 232 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: February 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
i third that one

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post