Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    you've posted negative feedback....now what??
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

you've posted negative feedback....now what??
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
I am kinda bummed today. As a buyer on ebay for the last 4 years I posted my very first negative feedback. I know for some of you this is nothing new but I just cant figure out why this guy just didnt send my card or refund my money. It was a small purchase. Without getting into too much detail, my autographed card didnt show up, I emailed the individual...no response. Ran tracer action...money order had been cashed 5 days after I mailed it. Emailed again with tracer info...finally a response that he was checking into it...that was the last I heard from him a week ago. emailed again..no response. So almost a month after end of auction I left negative feedback. Problem is I'm still pissed. Are there any other things I can do (legally) with this situation? Any of your suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

mike

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of saturnman7
posted Hide Post
hey MYKdude
I know how you feel about the negative posting. I had a bid I won and when I tried emailing the guy he responded once and then I heard nothing from him. After about a 3 weeks and 20 dollars out did I post a negative feedback and then a day later he responed to me as to why I would post a negative feedback and I emailed him back to tell him that I had not heard from him in 3 weeks and I had not received the item only to find out his computer was in the shop becuase he had gotten a mean virus and that he though he amiled it out but it had gotten buried in some of his bills. For me I posted a responce to my negative and 4 days later reveived the item. We worked it out but there are some who are not as fortunate. But like the other have stated definetly go through Ebay first then when all else fails you have his address (just kidding)

Posts: 319 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fhdavid52
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Look what I got related to Ebay today.....<br />I bid on a card 12 minutes before it ended (first time I saw the listing), it was a good card at a low price, the other bidder had bid the opening bid only, no higher....<br />***<br />Dear Sir,<br /> Thank you very much. You did the dishonourable thing of "sniping" another fan and ebay user. I hope you feel satisfied with what you have ?

You bid arrived during the middle of the night local time, and minutes before the auction ended with another person having spent days watching/bidding on something they really wanted.

I hope you feel pleased with your dishonourable actions and lack of decency to others ?

***<br />Not sure why he's more worthy then I to have the card Smile <br />Except I"m a skanky dealer, I guess...

If its something I really want, I use auctionsniper.com. In the past when I have been outbid on something, I have actually sent an email to other bidder and congratulated him or her on thier bid. I have also (Manually) outbid other last minute bidders on items I really wanted to get and gotten letters (Positive) from the opposing bidder. It makes bidding fun. Rarely is there an item which won't be offered again, so there isnt really any reason to get upset about being sniped.

On a side not, I just got outbid for 2 - 45 RPM records that I had wanted to purchase. One of them was offered again and I got it for $4 less than the one I was outbid on. The second one closed for about $25 - and I currently have a $5 bid on one that looks better than the first one which I lost.

Posts: 13 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just did it...thanks....we will see what happens.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Look what I got related to Ebay today.....
I bid on a card 12 minutes before it ended (first time I saw the listing), it was a good card at a low price, the other bidder had bid the opening bid only, no higher....
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much. You did the dishonourable thing of "sniping" another fan and ebay user. I hope you feel satisfied with what you have ?

You bid arrived during the middle of the night local time, and minutes before the auction ended with another person having spent days watching/bidding on something they really wanted.

I hope you feel pleased with your dishonourable actions and lack of decency to others ?

Not sure why he's more worthy then I to have the card smile
Except I"m a skanky dealer, I guess...

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
send this to him

auction 1. n. a public sale at which the goods are sold to the highest bidder//an offer to give something to whoever will pay the most.

New Lexicon Websters Dictionary

Is it that hard to understand??? here's your sign.

posted Hide Post
Ebay, the place where most bids are placed in the last 30 seconds of the auction! Obviously the auction's end can't be in the middle of the night everywhere, so someone will be up with a chance to get it at the end. Unless, of course, bidding is restriced to one country/area. In which case the 'problem' is with the seller having their auction end at that time. If the person really wanted it that badly, they should have bid more than the minimum.

I must say that I have yet to leave negative feedback but my father was quite ticked with a situation that he found himself in a while back. He had placed his bid - higher than the minimum - and another bidder kept bumping him up until he (the other bidder) had the item and then retracted his bid...leaving my father to pay his max bid. He was willing to pay that much, but thought that whole situation was a bit fishy...There are always people out there to ruin our fun.

My two cents...

Sam

Posts: 94 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tamara
posted Hide Post
Sad. This person, although trying to hide behind a civilized manor, is no better than a spoiled child lashing out. Perhaps trying "guilt" you for doing nothing wrong makes them feel better about themselves. Paging Doctor Freud...

We all know that you are one of the nicest people around and we shall stand up for your honour! We shall verbally slay 'em for you!!

xxx

Tamara

Posts: 1830 | Location: Victoria, Canada | Registered: March 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of gabfan
posted Hide Post
I had this happen to me with a Ebay auction last sept. for a Buffy autograph total $43.00 I also paid for insurance. The seller kept saying it was in the mail I never got it. Seller stopped replying to my emails. I filled out all the Ebay forms they did nothing for me. I even filled out a postal fraud report all they did was send the seller a letter. I didn't even get to leave negitive feedback I let the time limit run out waiting for the Ebay forms to be answered. But I must say all the other sellers I've bought from have been great.

Posts: 1241 | Location: USA | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'm prepared to use the word civilized even..it sounded a tad petulent for that wink
Still, it was a surprise..first one for me....
As to negative feedback...raise your hands..how many of you have not left deserved negatives cause you were afraid of retaliation..... undeserved, of course...

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: stcardgeek ]

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dune
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't a card related e-bay tale, but I bought a dvd on ebay for £12 and it arrived in an envelope...no box, no packet.. an envelope. Naturally it was in several pieces, and also sent from CHINA!! I e-mailed the seller (it had already taken almost 4 weeks to arrive to me) and he said he would send another, 5 weeks later another arrived... The dvd was Moulin Rouge which I had ordered because it wasn't out here for a long time, and I *needed* that film.. by the time I got the replacement (in a box) the film was already out to buy!!! Oh well, now I have two copies, as I got fed up and bought a copy when it was released, then the dvd went and came the next day in the post!!!

Posts: 330 | Location: North East England | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
YEAH!!! DEATH TO WHINERS!!....oops sorry...Tamara started it.

Aint figured out the "Chineese DVD connection" yet (sounds like a cool movie title) but I have to admit in 99.9% of the time I love ebay. My autograph collection would be half what it is without it and most people are fair and honest. With this particular one he just lost a customer forever. Thats a big price to pay for a $12.00 purchase because I believe in return business. Basically its his loss and other customers get to see my negative feedback. One issue is I think that negative feedback on ebay should have twice as much space (more than 80 characters). I know you cant write a book but usually you need a little bit more room to sufficiently describe the problem.

posted Hide Post
I agree! It would definitely be useful to a larger character allotment for negative feedback. To be honest, I usually only read the negative and/or neutral feedback. As there are always some people who will complain about anything (i.e. the ones who give negative feedback for high shipping charges even though they were clearly stated in the auction description), it is important to be able to make the distinction between those who have legitimate complaints and those who are 'whining.' And the seller's response can be important too - are they helpful or rude and spiteful, etc.

I think that it would be nice if there was a link to take us to all of the negative feedback for an individual. Sometimes it can take a lot of scrolling - which usually means lots of praise, but that can often come from one person who has bid on many auctions.

Sam

Posts: 94 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikzcardz
posted Hide Post
My thoughts about eBay Feedback:

1. Retaliatory feedbacks should not allowed, only a reply on your feedback forum. I have 3 of them from bidders who never sent payment. 3 Negatives from close to 3,000 transactions which still irritate me!

2. When a user is suspended and still has outstanding transactions that he or she didn't pay for, you are unable to leave them your negative, why not? I have seen these users end up back on eBay as registered users once again...and...if it hasn't been 90 days, they will receive my negative, thankfully!

3. Neutrals I can live with, but are they necessary? 10 of my 13 neutrals are from people that are no longer users that were converted from positives. Gee thanks alot!

4. Should positives be there at all? Why should anyone receive praise for completing a transaction? You're supposed to...send payment and receive product. It would be easier to determine a users integrity but showing the transaction ratio by the number of negatives, giving a percentage of high praise. 3 negatives out of 3,000 transactions = 99.999% approval! I rather see that number beside my user ID.

Lets continue the thread...
Mike Surratt
Mik'z Cardz - Lanham, MD
http://members.aol.com/mikzcardz/stand.htm

Posts: 212 | Location: glenn dale, md | Registered: September 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neutrals...most seem to say positive things anyway. It's generally like getting a 'C' or satisfactory in school. Good transaction, everyone got what they wanted, nothing spectacular but no complaints. They could probably do without the neutral.

A positive is a positive. We all say the same nice things. In my opinion, only the negatives really need an explanation.

I have yet to leave a neutral or negative. I suppose that I could have. Some items have never arrived but if the seller has lots of satisfied customers, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Things do get lost in the mail. But chances are, I will never bid on any of their auctions again. One seller discovered that she didn't actually have the item when she went to check. I got an email right away, very apologetic. I hadn't paid for it so we just forgot that auction existed. I have dealt with her on many occasions before and since.

I think that a % rating would be fine, with a link to the (more) detailed explanation of any negative feedback. Works for me...

Sam

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I would use a neutral if I didnt receive the product but the seller provides some sort of proof that the item was shipped. Yeah no one is at fault but I cant bring myself to being positive about not getting what I paid for. I think name calling should not be allowed in negative feedback reports. A basic statement of what happened should suffice. Also you waste valuable space with pet names and explatives. I think you have to have the positives because of our natural lean to look at the negative. If all I saw was a seller rating but could only view 4 or 5 negative statements from buyers I would be inclined not to bid. I do agree that there should be some way to directly view the negatives especially when you are dealing with several thousand comments.

posted Hide Post
I'm having my first problem with e-bay in over a year. I purchased a card set with a suspicously low buy-it-now option and haven't received it. As I'm nearing the end of my 60 day window for e-bay's fraud policy I've tried e-mailing the seller to determine what the problem is and unfortunately my e-mails keep coming back as undeliverable due to a computer server error (which isn't the sellers fault). Without being able to discuss it with the seller I hate to do anything since I know he hasn't been able to read my e-mails, and I also know that if I leave him my negative feedback that I will get some in return (like getting my money for nothing wasn't enough). I hate sellers who hold your feedback hostage until you leave some for them. It is an unfair scare tactic, and I know this will result in my getting my first negative comment and don't believe it's fair. I'm still not sure what the worst part about getting screwed is, being out the money ($40 US+ for me), having negative feelings about my collecting right now-and the amount of money that not only am I out, but that I've been spending on these damn things in general (blasphemous as it'll sound here, we can all live without these cards of ours),- or knowing that after 2 months of waiting I have to find the set (again) and pay for it (again) and then wait hopefully (again). I hope someone sends this thread to e-bay when it's done, because right now I'm kind of in that depressed phase wondering why I bother collecting at all, (I could easily quit N/S right now and either collect something different or save the money and fly somewhere nice for a couple weeks) and it's all because of one lousey experience. --chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Dude, relax

You are right we can live without cards, collections, autographs....all sorts of things. It should be a simple hobby that you enjoy. If it has blown up into something bigger than maybe you should quit for awhile. When I see all of the crap that my tax dollars goes to it is hard to get fatalistic about getting occasionally screwed on ebay. If it becomes a common experience then I will find other means to collect. I am sure Tamara and other fine shop owners that I have come across would have no problem taking my mail order. I started this thread to find out if there was anything else besides negative feedback that I could do. The thought of not collecting anymore had never crossed my mind. I would not be concerned about someone holding your feedback hostage. If you have proof that your money has been spent and you have not received your card...leave the feedback. If he hammers you in return you can reply to it.

Picture of janscards
posted Hide Post
just wanted to add my thoughts on this,being a seller myself as soon as a customer has completed their part of the transaction (paying)i leave them feedback,after all they have honoured their part of the deal.
on the occasions i have bought something it does not matter how quickly i pay for the item i nearly always have to wait until i have posted their feedback.needless to say 8 out of 10 of these transactions i have some problems with.is this a sign i wonder.
jan

Posts: 80 | Location: uk | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to collector of things...

Have you tried to get the sellers phone number through ebay (search - find members - contact info)? I realize that would probably only add to your bill, but it is an option. Also, you should have a phone number registered with ebay. If the seller needed to get in contact with you, they could. Of course, since you have already paid...

Even if you do leave a negative (which seems like the right course of action here), explaining the situation in a concise manner might get the message through to the seller.

I don't know about others here, but if I see a negative, I often go to the feedback of the person who left it to see what theirs is like. It can give a good indication of whether the comment was valid or just vindictive. And, often follow-up feedback will indicate that the problem has been resolved.

Certainly we could all live without our cards. I do on occasion stop to think what I could have done with that chunk of change - and then return to collecting denial. It really is a fun hobby and I have had the good fortune to deal/trade with many wonderful people. I hope that this bad experience won't ruin the hobby for you and that the situation may yet be sorted to your satisfaction.

I don't agree with holding feedback hostage either. It sometimes keeps the bidders from expressing their true feelings about the transaction. If I sell something, I try very hard to make sure that I leave feedback as soon as payment has been received. It's only fair as the winning bidder has done their part. I expect sellers to do the same for me. Most of the ones that I deal with are quite good. It's the sort of thing that keeps me coming back to bid on their auctions.

And, a last comment of positives...I know that they do have a great deal of value. I'm not advocating eliminating them. It's just that I don't tend to read them. I look at the overall profile make-up. If there are 5000 positives from 3850 unique users with a couple of neutrals and a negative, I'm probably not going to pay too much attention to the negative. That goes for sellers and buyers alike.

Ok, that's it. I'm done...promise...

Sam