Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    how do you buy your cards?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how do you buy your cards?
 Login/Join

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
It's certainly worth a try, though I seem to recall reading (either here or on one of the Non-Sport NG's) that Fleer Skybox dumped (as in trashed) all their non-sport autos when they moved out of Trek etc.
Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Try emailing them first and ask. I did last year on some other cards. The redemptions were 2 years past (Wild Wild West movie cards I think) and they still honored them.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Alric:

--- Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. However when Skybox/Fleer's license for Star Trek expired on December 31, 2000 all their remaining stock was destroyed. I do not know if this was due to their licensing agreement with Paramount or if it was a decision on the part of Skybox/Fleer.
--- Unfortunately, I found out the hard way when I tried contacting them about damaged chase cards and the missing guaranteed autograph card from the Star Trek Insurrection set. I mailed them several times then e-mailed them several times, in Nov & Dec 2000. When they finally responded to me in late Jan/early Feb via e-mail, they said, "Sorry, but we destroyed our entire remaining stock of common, chase, & autograph cards for all our Star Treks card sets."
--- Unless someone at Skybox/Fleer was either lying or stole a batch before it hit the shredder, I'm afraid you're out of luck on any Skybox or Skybox/Fleer redemptions and/or card replacements. :-(

Watcher

Posts: 500 | Location: City, State, Country | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info in the redemption card. In this case I was not too botherd about redeeming it and was just happy to have got 2 auto cards from a box that did might have had none in it.

The back of the card has an expiry date of some time in 2001 (I think this was one of their last sets) is this likly to make any diff to redeeming it or did they just clear their shelves of all things Star Trek.

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Since they've lost the licence, they have no incentive to keep the old Trek stock. I guess, they'd have kept stock to cover any redemption requests until the expiry date and then destryed them.

If they'd retained the licence, they'd probably would have held on to the stock and redeemed as long as they could.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I am glad to know about skybox and star trek. I bought myself a box of star trek tng profiles for christmas. (my family doesnt understand my hobby so I have to do my own christmas shopping) I pulled a Majel Barrtt autograph with a nice smear on the T's. I was hoping that they could replace it but I guess not. I just convince myself that it is one of a kind and sell for for $900 on ebay. (yeah right)

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
*** I should have added an addendum to my last post.
--- Fleer/Skybox released the Star Trek Cinema 2000 set in December 2000, just a few weeks prior to their Star Trek license expiring. Even though their license was expiring, they still had to insert redemption cards for some autographs if they were to release the card set before their license ran out. For those autograph cards, they kept just enough stock to cover the number of redemptions that were inserted; at least until the expiration date, at which time they were destroyed. They needed the June 2001 expiration date since thay could not realistically expect that collectors would be able to find the redemptions in the short few weeks between release and liceense expiration (year's end).
--- I'm aware of the June 2001 expiration because I purchased a box of the ST: Cinema 2000 cards in June, only to find a redemption card for Anthony Zerbe (Admiral Matthew Dougherty) autograph card. The kicker is that the expiration date for the redemption was in 3 days. By the way, Fleer/Skybox needed to RECEIVE it by that expiration day. You can believe I was at the post office the very next day sending that redemption card via Priority Mail & Certified along with a return receipt. I received the card a week later. Talk about making it under the wire!!! Good thing the card collector in me made me stay up opening my packs. I had considered waiting until the weekend. Boy, would that have been a mistake.

Watcher

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: Watcher ]

Posts: 500 | Location: City, State, Country | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of janscards
posted Hide Post
hi all
i bought a sealed case of star trek tos2 and upon opening the packs found all the card were stuck together,when you tried to prise them apart all the ink come of one onto the other making them totally useless.this was over 5 thousand cards inc the chase cards.
i asked fleer/shybox what i could do and was told there was nothing i could do.surely it is one thing not redeeming out of date redemption cards,but what about damaged cards.
i paid nearly $1000.00 for this case just does not seem fair.

Posts: 80 | Location: uk | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Your right it isnt fair. I think what I would do is take photographs of your messed up cards and just mail blitz the ceo of skybox. If that doesnt work send all of your information and record of contact attempts to some of the writers at Tuff Stuff magazine, I get the impression that they like getting involved with things like this. Make sure everything is well documented prior to getting someone else involved. If that doesnt work send your documentation to as many hobby magazines that you can think of and see who will put your problem in print. These are things that you can do pretty cheap without getting a lawyer involved (which wouldnt be cost effective) The only legal option I could see is small claims court I dont know what you would call it in the U.K.

Posts: 4845 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
Jans

Should you not have gone back to the person who sold you the case ? As the product was faulty you should get a refund if you can't get a replacment.

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
WE have a Small Claims Courte here, but I don't know that this would help.
It has to be said that, in my experience, all the TOS 'autograph' series cards were fairly sticky in the first place - if the case has been sitting in a store room for a while, this won't have helped.
I would take the battle on two fronts - a) see if you can get any redress fro mthe seller (small claims might help here) b) go directly to the top of Skybox and make a polite fuss!
Mind you, you won't get replacements for the cards if Skybox HAVE destroyed all their warehouse stock, but they might offer something to avoide bad publicity.
Au Res.,
Paul (Who is not a lawyer, so you should not take the above as legally accurate!)

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I guess I left that part out, my post was assuming everything had already been done with the person that sold them the product. The problem with this is with a product that is a couple of years old you end up getting a long chain of custody and never find who may have actually stored the cards wrong. If this was the case. Of course any reputable dealer would eat the cost and refund the money. Also something that may cause a problem is opening the whole case. They might say well if you had only opened one or two boxes and saw that all of your cards are messed up and return the rest then a refund would be allowed. BUT...if all the boxes hadnt been opened would someone else get stuck (no pun intended) these bad cards?

posted Hide Post
Hello!
I am new to this discussion group. I just wanted to write something about this. I usually buy my cards on ebay. Since i live in a small town and we have only 1 hobby store which sells more sports collectibles and Magic The Gathering here my sources here are pretty limited. I hardly see anything non sports here which means i would have to travel to Minneapolis or a larger town just to see what they have. So my best bet is to go to ebay and purchase my cards there. Although on some things ive seen on ebay have gone quite high its hard to get the things i want. But for many people its the best place to find things you can't find. I pretty much collect auto cards and I do have a good collection. So I just wanted to post on here to see how it worked. So I hope to do this again. Thank You!!

Posts: 15 | Location: Holmen, Wisconsin | Registered: March 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I am living in anti non-sportsville as well. However my local card shop can usually order any boxes that I am looking for from their distributor. Usually it is more expensive but when i tell him the price I can get it through the mail he will usually tack on normal shipping and handling and drop his price to met that price. This way I support my local card shop and he supports my addiction.....pretty good deal. Dont know if this could work for you but its an idea.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
I have never bought a case (don't think my slim bank account could survive it). I buy boxes from a monthly trading card show that is about 45 minutes from home. There are a few nonsport dealers there and I get good deals from them. As far as individual autograph or insert cards go, Ebay is my supplier of choice. Usually I will just buy one or two boxes of product I like in the hopes of the "great card find", and then I just save up and buy the single cards I want online.

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
I have not worked in 25 years! I depend on the kindness of my wife. I buy one or two boxes a month that guarantee a base set and a auto or costume card. I will buy packs on sets I already have to look for insert cards. I can't afford a case. It sounds like fun to have a case but I don't want to push my wife's kind heart too far.

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I buy boxes and in some cases, (pardon the pun)
Cases I do buy packs as well if they are cheap Smile
The fun of it is being able to pull exellent cards
Welcome to the board new members Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been buying the autos off ebay untill recently I had 125.00 and figured heck with it I needed the base sets so I bought a box of Angel Season 1 and 4

Season 1 pretty much stunk Frown
Season 4 I got
Angel Piecworks(piece is grey)
Faith auto redemption Drool

I contacted inkworks(my favorite ns cards Thumb Up ) and the honored it even though it had been expired for a while..

This will get me to buy more boxes esp. with the Sopranos comming out

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Silverback
posted Hide Post
Thank you KADRANDO157!!!! I was starting to think no one noticed! Being new I don't know where to stick my two cents worth or when to be quiet. But I'm learning.

Posts: 6113 | Location: Illinois | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scorpiovamp
posted Hide Post
I buy my cards online. Now, I've been using EBAY more, but if I'm going to buy a box from an online dealer that I've dealt with.

I still like to buy loose packs, to try my luck also from an online dealer.

Posts: 285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: February 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post