Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    how do you buy your cards?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how do you buy your cards?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SciFiMom:
quote:
Originally posted by tsmeltzer:
By the case, from an online dealer (who happens to be local, offers free shipping and has the cards to me the next day).

Lucky you! Thumb Up I can't wait for the day I can afford to buy a case. *sigh* Drool

same here

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of NIK
posted Hide Post
I just noticed something on that popular online auction site, the UK version of it, and thought it would benefit the community here to know. Someone on there has listed over 400 lots, they all start at 99p, and they are all card sets, chase sets, costume cards, action figures, Ltd edition plates. A lot of it is Star Trek related. Anyway, I don't collect those things myself and also may I state here I have nothing to do with the trader, I don't know who they are, I just stumbled across their listings. I thought most people on here would want to be alerted. I won't put the traders name here as I'm sure it's against Card talks' rules?

Mars Attacks Uprising, Hobbit Battle of the 5 Armies, Star Wars Masterwork, Marvel Premier 2014, The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Mars Attacks Heritage, Marvel 70th Anniv', The Prisoner, Star Wars Galaxy 4, X-Men Archives, LOTR Masterpieces II, Vampirella, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Dr Who, Marilyn Monroe and CSI sketch card artist.

Posts: 518 | Location: London UK | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For now I settle for Boxes and If I am lucky Smile A Case (Hence the term LUCKY)
For me you get your good boxes and your bad boxes Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do Buy Packs now and again Smile
I think thats a good thing too Smile
Last few packs I bought were Superman returns and got a costume card Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
I mostly buy my cards on EBAY I started collecting right before the 1st LOTR film came out.I got some really nice ones-at first they were relatively cheap.I also buy from a dealer in Canada.I recenly started collecting memorabilia cards also(pretty cool). Wave

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
First started buying cards in packs in 1977/78 - 7/8 years old & managed to complete Star Wars blue & red exclusively from packs & trading at school. Was missing 1 card in the red set but miraculously found it lying in the street walking home one day. (Should this go under the best walkway finds thread).

For a few years after that I got into football (soccer) stickers - they were big at my school. Did collect the Empire Strikes Back set though.

Fast forward to pack collecting again in the early 90's & would buy what was left in boxes.My interest was re-awakened by my then girlfriend (now my wife) who was a Star Trek fan (Stargate, Farscape & 24 are her thing now). I would have to complete her sets & bought her binders to store her cards.

First actual box I bought was either Star Wars widevision (with a binder) or Babylon 5 Ultra. I bought boxes mostly with a few packs from odd series & chase cards from sci-fi stores.

Fast forward again to 4/5 years ago. Bought a few odd packs for fun. Hooked again.

Now I mainly buy a box, a binder & use e-bay to complete my sets.

What should have been a quick answer has turned into my card buying life-story. I hope you didn't mind reading it as I found it quite therapeutic to write. Anyone else have a similar tale to tell?

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
I remember back when I was in grade school, buying packs in a local discount store was easy. I'd get Marvel and my brothers would go for the baseball/football.

Now, I have to use Ebay alot to buy boxes when I can afford them. I'm so envious of people who can buy the cases. I do know of a couple of on-line stores that I can get packs and boxes from so I also go to them. I can get binders from them also. For the promos and sell sheets, I go back to ebay.

I live in a very small town and such great places as comic book stores don't exist. Non-sport trading cards wouldn't survive here either.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain HOLLYPOP. Frown I too live in a relatively small city which has no nonsport anything.There are 2 places in town a comic store and a sports card store which I go to get protectors and binders for my slowly growing collection. Big Grin My main source is Ebay-I also sometimes go to an online store in Canada which has been great as well.
P.S.I too get a little jealous when I hear people buying 2 or more cases. Drool My bank account as well as my job just can't afford it.That's ok because I still have a lot of fun collecting. Wave

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
Hi fellow small town collector Wavey

I have alot of fun collecting, too. I think, because we have to try harder, it 'adds' more to our collecting.

Like I said, I'd love to be able to buy a case and get the 'holy grail' card definately, great.

But nothing beats the feeling of buying a box, the hope of finding that card and then pulling it. Much sweeter and better tasting that way lol

Posts: 1458 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I buy most of my cards from ebay or couple dealers.

There is a card shop in Melbourne but they are VERY expensive.

I also try and get to the card show at Malvern. Not sure if its happening this year I heard it was something in August.

Posts: 833 | Location: Melbourne, VIC. Australia | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pumpkindiver
posted Hide Post
here's a link I use to find all the local card fairs

http://www.afltcc.com.au/cardfairs.html

Posts: 154 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
Going to a flea market very soon... maybe I'll find cards there.

Hey, ya never know Smile

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hollypop:
Going to a flea market very soon... maybe I'll find cards there.

Hey, ya never know Smile

Look out for The Tick sets!

Big Grin

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
well, it's not my cup of tea but are ya looking for a future trade, justm? Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkindiver:
here's a link I use to find all the local card fairs

http://www.afltcc.com.au/cardfairs.html

Wow there are 2 conventions right around the corner from me. One coming up in a few weeks. Do people generally bring alot of trading cards to those?

Posts: 52 | Location: Australia | Registered: July 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
Depends,but dealers do set up tables at conventions for the most part.For your future reference.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
i buy mine with money lol

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
i buy mine of ebay if i dont buy a case or dont get them in the case and i do buy from shops but depends on the price.

i also now have my regulars i buy of out of ebay as well so i get a bit cheaper that way.

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hollypop
posted Hide Post
I can now say that I get the cards I need by trades, buying boxes or specific singles off of Ebay and I may have the chance to go to a show soon and get cards.

My how things have changed since I first joined! lol

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
I can now say that I buy more boxes than I use to...... Thumb Up