Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    how do you buy your cards?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how do you buy your cards?
 Login/Join

Picture of pooky
posted
I was wondering how most of you buy your cards. Does anyone buy just single packs anymore, or is that only for kids? I know a lot of people, including myself buy their cards by the box for the increased chances of autos and something good in there. Does anyone buy cases? Or just buy all cards in singles online?
I try to buy a box or two and then trade online for the cards I need. But I'd like to know what others do out there. There is only one trading cards shop around this area, and most of their stock has gone to CCG's and Pokemon, so they don't have much of what we need. Online seems to be the way to go nowadays.
Thoughts?

Posts: 22 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
I've always been buying packs, but recently got my first box smile I was wondering, if I thought a box was expensive how much is a case? That would take a chunk out of someone's bank account, no doubt!
I think the guy at my local EB would have a heart attack if i asked him to order me in a case. It was tough enough getting a box...esp of Buffy Story So Far.

http://star_mystyk.tripod.com

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of xst
posted Hide Post
Hi Star_mystyk! And after the EB employee gets up off the floor, he would be ecstatic to order you a whole case!!! You will be placed first on the list of "GOOD CUSTOMERS"!!! big grin big grin

Happy Stargating!

Posts: 1395 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
I like to get 2 boxes of anything buffy and Angel, i find 2 boxes gets me the set and a good chunk of the inserts and usually an autograph or 2 then I just buy/sell/trade to fill in the gaps. I still can't resist packs though, I buy loose packs of buffy and angel but i also sample almost anything out there, though i use sample loosely as it can end up anywhere from 1 pack to over half a box when i get carried away. Getting a big card from a box is nice but the thrill of getting the big card when you only buy 2 or 3 packs is amazing.

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
Up until recently I have just bought base sets off eBay. I used to, and still do, buy single packets off the internet because no where near me sells Buffy or Angel cards. However, since I had a bit of money recently (got none now!) I bought a box of Angel season 4 cards. It was so fun opening all those packets! And when I found the auto and pieceworks cards it was great!

-Claire

http://clairestradingcards.mysite.freeserve.com

Posts: 513 | Location: UK | Registered: August 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of TWS
posted Hide Post
Okay I guess I'm bizzare because I buy packs, boxes and cases. I love sitting down and opening cards for the sheer fun of it. I have sat on a weekend and opened 6 cases of cards-that's 72 boxes or 2,592 packs. I can't stand to have an un-opened pack because it will have that Holy Grail in it that I'm looking for. I sleep at night and can hear them calling me..."Open Me Up" The thrill of the hunt for cards will always keep me broke.
TWS

Tom
The Wright Stuff

Posts: 2099 | Location: none | Registered: September 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I buy my cards with money... Wink

Now that I have the smarty pants answer out of the way... I buy my cards by the box from my local dealer. Sometimes I pick up singles and boxes off of Ebay if I find them at a good price. Others I acquire from trading with my retailer, friends and other customers from the store I frequent. All in all, a good way to make the most of my meager budget and ravenous need for cards.

These aren't the cards you're looking for....

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DOUBLEooSEVEN
posted Hide Post
Ebay!Ebay!Ebay!, and when I get tired of buying from ebay, I buy more cards off of Ebay. Mostly single autos, and boxes. Smile

Posts: 1230 | Location: Canada | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myself:
I've always been buying packs, but recently got my first box

I don't remember writing that, lol!
Pretty soon I'll be buying my first case, and will no doubt be buying another (of something else) in a couple of months.
The first case I'm going halves with my sister, so that won't kill me too much Razz

Lately, though, I've been buying my cards individually from Ebay. *Finally* managed to complete a couple of the early Buffy insert sets. I'd have virtually no collection if Ebay didn't exist, lol!

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of G
posted Hide Post
I first started out buying packs, but not getting those elusive chase, autos, and other specialty cards, I started buying boxes. Once I purchased 4 packs and walked away with 1 costume and 3 chase. Not bad.. Perhaps in the far future, I'll have enough to go for the case, but that's a long way off. I still buy an initial box to start off to see everything that's available, then I hunt for the singles that I need. Thumb Up

Posts: 364 | Location: Severn, Maryland | Registered: May 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Usually I buy sealed boxes, but I sometimes buy packs, but that is not too often. I got a pile of packs off of e-bay last year, and got a Brent Stait auto redemption card, which I sent in and got my auto card.

Posts: 537 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CptVideo
posted Hide Post
CoolUp to now I have been buying full base sets on ebay, which is relatively inexpensive. But sooner or later I'm sure I will buy a box or two for the simple fact that it's fun to open the packs. It's a little like playing a lottery scratch ticket.

quote:
Life is like a box of cards... you never know what you're gonna get.
Forrest Gump

Posts: 15 | Location: Leominster, Mass | Registered: June 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of COSMIC GIRL
posted Hide Post
I always used to collect the base sets, & bought them from dealers. Spent about 25.00 for each set !! Eek
Then about 5 years ago I discovered Ebay & realised I could indeed afford the inserts aswell, plus base sets dirt cheap. Smile
I also used to buy packets where ever I could, but very rarely got any inserts. At minimum 2 quid a pop it soon adds up.
My first box was a Charmed Season One, on discount from a dealer at 24.99, and pulled Piper auto !!! From there on I was hooked to box buying, in a moments weakness bought a few Dark Angel boxes from a dealer at full price,but stuck to Buffy & Angel after that. I buy them from a great seller and have always got 2 boxes from Buffy season 5 onwards. Angel 4 & Buffy Big bads I had to get 4 boxes of each to increase the odds of the Faith & Dru inserts. Also got 4 ROTK boxes cos of the Saruman card.
My biggest purchase is a half case of CSI Miami, and am seriously considering a case of Buffy WOS & Angel 5.
I get any inserts I want/ am missing from Ebay, usually from specific traders I have bought from before - some in US, some here in the UK.
I still cannot resist single packs - & pulled Faramir auto from ROTK from Forbidden Planet just before Christmas out of 3 packs Clap.
I will always spend most of my money on boxes now though - I love the thrill of knowing one complete base set is likely, plus usually a guaranteed auto/pieceworks and opening each pack and finding a great card in it cannot be beaten - Dru p/w I could not believe my own eyes with that one Elephant With Star Wars Heritage out soon I may even buy some boxes of them..... not sure if my bank balance can stand it though.... Confused
But to answer the question - mainly boxes are my choice, I never buy base sets from dealers other than on Ebay, and sometimes single packs of films/series that interest me. Maths wise loose packs are not as cost effective as a box, but I have no control over my hands when I see them sitting on a shop shelf... Twak

Posts: 346 | Location: KENT UK | Registered: September 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Pooky, interesting question!
I generally get a box, and invariably also buy odd packs whe nI can find them - exceptions to this: Tomb Raider and Doctor Who - both of which I pought packs only (and, eventually and probably for more than a box cost, completed sets of base cards)
One day, I'll have enough cash to actually buy a case - on that day, watch out for me with long lists for trading!

For odd cards that I might need, I usually visit cCard and Memorabilia fairs (there are a couple held regularly in London AND Basildon); often I'll bid on eBay or, increasingly, I'll trade with some of the nice people I've met here or via the other Card sites on the net.

I also rely upon the kindness of strangers...

Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I generally buy boxes but have bought cases for some sets. Occasionally, I'll packs.

I buy cases when I want all the chase cards and I know that buying boxes or trading individual cards is going to work out more expensive than buying a case - which also gives me a lot of extras lying around (I haven't sold/traded anything yet).

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
Hi, What a good question.
I have so far been buying mainly boxes(all I buy is BTVS and Angel) I buy packs if I have a few dollars to spend. I only buy packs because the first 2 autographs I ever got came from packs. I also only buy packs of WWF, not interested enough to buy boxes. This year though I hope top have enough money saved so that I can buy a case of BTVS adna case of Angel, it's just too expensive trying to get the autographs and/or chase cards I need.

Kristy

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
I buy new boxes rarely these days, unless it is something that I really, really want. Just too much money for me. I do buy old "cheap" (dumped) product by the box when I can find it.

I can not find very many places that carry non-sports cards at all, but when I do, I will buy some packs.

I too am more into promo cards than anything. A little easier to get, normally on the cheaper side as well, plus takes up less storage room to boot....

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I generally buy packs. . . mainly because any of the local shops are selling boxes for twice what you can get them for online or at shows. I really buy packs just to support Non-Sports in the shops that carry them. . .

I also buy packs from retail stores, and from time to time buy boxes or cases online.

I'd like to buy more chase directly from shops, but non of the shops around here crack any material anymore.

I have no interest in promos -- I just stick them in binders when I get them, so if anyone wants to send me a list of things they are looking for I'd check to see what I had - perhaps we could trade. I know I have some Buffy Wizard World exclusive promos from the past years.

Happy Collecting!

Jon

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I buy boxes for certain sets that I really like, but I also buy lots of packs too. I have a couple of shops that sell packs, and often I will buy packs of a set I've already got a box of. My box of Star Trek 35th didn't give me a double auto or sketch, but separate packs did.
With the Simpsons Mania, I'm just buying packs, even if you get a box, it would be hard to get an auto or sketch.
It's also easier to find a few bucks here and there to pay for packs than get a whole box. It's also good to get a couple of packs every day and get my "fix", you all know what i mean.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Pooky,

I buy a case on a new series of cards and individual chase cards on the older sets. When I am working on my Beatles collection, I wind up buying and selling different cards from the same subset in order to complete the set.

Often times when you buy a box you get suprises as well. Sometimes you can pick up an extra chase or get an error or die lot variety card.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post