Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    how do you buy your cards?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how do you buy your cards?
 Login/Join

Picture of #1hulkfan
posted Hide Post
Good Question. Mostly buy packs few at a time at local stores, target type. Most card shops dont carry single cards im looking for. Do buy off ebay and get base sets. New movie Hulk has really helped my collecing, and I found I like all the toys now. Im glad the older comics have brought us new movies, has help re-vive the hobby. Local shops and shows mostly sports here. But really love the Comic Con in San Diego.
I've started leaving some small stacks of cards in the local laundry Mats, and at the post office, Yes ive checked there not going in the trash. Also found local free internet source to gave away some cards to new found collectors.. Its been fun.
See ya at San Diego 2005

Posts: 171 | Location: San Diego , ca, usa | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of G
posted Hide Post
Recently, I bought a Master Set. I did a little research into the set I wanted and after looking all over for what the entire set was made of, I looked at how much it was going to cost me to acquire the base set, subsets, etc., not to forget the S/H charges, I found someone selling a Master Set for 60% of what it would have cost to piecemeal together one. I figure I made out a little. It worked out this time.

Posts: 364 | Location: Severn, Maryland | Registered: May 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New guy here
I allways purchase a box of the cards i want, but will purcase single packets if i come across a place selling open boxes of a certain card set i wanted that did'nt arrive after ordering months previous.

Posts: 40 | Location: Australia | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
other than a few packs of batman begins cards that i picked up at wal-mart, i buy everything online. i've been buying sets, but i just bought my first two boxes of older cards. oh how i wish i had the money to buy cases of the cards i really love (highlander, dead zone, lost in space, sopranos)

there are two really good comic shops here. one sells loads of cards and one doesnt/ unfortunately i dont like to go into the one that sells cards because i always feel like the people that work there are talking down to me and treating me like a child. but at the other one the people are really nice. i had the same problem when i lived in mississippi. we had two good comic shops across the street from each other. i went with my little brother to this one shop all the time, and i'd get comics while he picked up his random buffy action figures or cards, etc. no matter how much money i spent (which believe me, wasnt nickel and dime bull) they treated me like i was an 8 year old kid there to steal all their pokemon cards.

does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've started collecting not too long ago and have been buying my cards on ebay and local card stores

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
I buy boxes of Star Wars and Lord of the rings mainly from dealers (pre-order). It used to be single boxes now its two. I buy lots from ebay - singles, autos, sketches. When I can't find anything on ebay, I check through again just to make sure.

I buy single packs very occasionally.
I have only been in this hobby three years!

is anybody else addicted to ebay??

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
is anybody else addicted to ebay??

I am Big Grin

From France, that's the easier way to buy trading cards.

Posts: 17 | Location: France | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
By the case, from an online dealer (who happens to be local, offers free shipping and has the cards to me the next day).

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyb
posted Hide Post
Do you have some good online-dealers links ? (May be some are shipping worldwide).

thanks Smile

Posts: 17 | Location: France | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all, just joined here. Started collecting costume cards about 4 monrhs ago. I get all of mine off ebay. Hate paying $3-5 for a pack and get nothing add $5-10 more and I get an auto or costume card. I also collect sports cards those I acquire all different ways.

Posts: 14 | Location: Land of Oz | Registered: November 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of tsmeltzer
posted Hide Post
Mods... admins.. can I post a link to where I got my cards from? Or is that a no-no?

Thanks

Tim

alternate email:
tim dot smeltzer at excite.com

Posts: 2625 | Location: Rockville MD | Registered: September 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmeltzer:
Mods... admins.. can I post a link to where I got my cards from? Or is that a no-no?

Not a mod, but I can answer this. Advertising (by listing a name or a website) is a no-no except in the advertising section of the forum. If I've got the verbiage wrong, please correct me.

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of QBall
posted Hide Post
I used to buy base sets & the odd few packs but ever since getting online my buying habits are all over the place. I usually aim for mini-masters (bought as singles) of most sets I'm interested in but have been going for masters on Buffy & Babylon 5 lately. I can also be easliy tempted by a box at the right price.

Posts: 365 | Location: Up North, England | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of AJJ
posted Hide Post
Mostly boxes, but when I'm in my local comic shop I like to pick up packets.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Liverpool, UK | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Peter cloet
posted Hide Post
mostly boxes from Ebay

Always a fast and cheap way for me.

A belgian hiphop group

Posts: 3634 | Location: Belgium | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of dmatsuda
posted Hide Post
Initially I like to buy my stuff via boxes since I am guaranteed an unsearched product and getting base sets are more easier this way. Once I get an auto or costume card, I sometimes finish up buying singles off the well-known auction site.

I do know of one local dealer whom I've known for many years and trust but it seems like they are digressing from non-sports which forces me to purchase from other sources in the continental US.

Living in Hawaii presents a problem for me because most ship boxes via UPS which gets pricey for someone living in Hawaii.

Posts: 1446 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would have to be ebay for all my purchases. As where I live just doesnt cut it. It's long time gone, the days you could go into a supermarket or a department store like BigW or Target and purchase decent cards. Back when Batman Series 1 was out, and Ninja Turtles, that far back. I would say Sydney would have a few places, but not here.

Posts: 32 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
As a new member I thought I would introduce you to my card buying habbits.

Mainly when a new set comes out I will buy a full box, in the case where there is a hobby and a retail version I will buy at least 2 boxes (1 of each) but I can be found buying more.

I have never bought a case (8 + boxes) yet but I wouldn't rule it out if there are autos or skecthes.

Older sets I try to buy the basic sets from a well known auction site or a fellow trader and if a box of the same comes up later at the right price I'll get that for the chase cards and the boxes/ wrappers as i collect those as well.

As for single packets, being in the UK it is unlikly, especially in my area for shops to sell individual packets but I would consider packets if there are many chase cards I need or there is a chance of an auto/ skecth. I like the thrill of the lucky dip effect you get when buying this way. It is how I collected my cards and stickers as a young kid.

Of course I buy chase cards from that well known auction site and part sets from there as well, sometimes even lucky dip auctions where the seller hasn't made very clear what cards they are selling, I have picked up a need or two this way I wasn't expecting.

Thats it I think, I'll add if I think of any more.

James

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Number_one
posted Hide Post
I bought (and buy) all my boxes and individual cards on Ebay. There's not a lot of places around here in Montreal where i can buy non-sports Frown. I would be more than happy to find a place near me. I buy approx. 2-3 boxes a month. As for chase cards (costumes or autos)normally it's about 3 to 5 a month.

Luc

Posts: 232 | Location: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: February 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmeltzer:
By the case, from an online dealer (who happens to be local, offers free shipping and has the cards to me the next day).

Lucky you! Thumb Up I can't wait for the day I can afford to buy a case. *sigh* Drool

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post