Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Authenticated Autographs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Authenticated Autographs
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Starchild
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile

Posts: 603 | Location: CT | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newbie here
Iv'e been collecting autograph cards for a while now an was wondering if anyone knows if the cards from the twighlight zone are authentic or repoductions as surley a great many of those signers would have passed on.
I'm often envious of you guys getting to meet all the celebreties personally,the only atographs i get is in packs and you never know who signs you just have to rely on the companies honesty.

Posts: 40 | Location: Australia | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robwaddle:
1. I met Chase Masterson at Memorabilia in Birmingham. She was really nice, we had a long chat and she went to a great deal of trouble with the signature. I paid £10 (which went to charity). Having never bought an auto like this before, i was extremely impressed.

Haha Chase appeared at a convention in the UK a couple of years ago. I think she'd recently receorded an album and was sat in the dealer room selling copies and signing them

At one of the evening events Chase sang one of the songs from her album...well when I say 'sang' she actually mimed. She was mimming along to the words when she decided to come to the end of the song but the guy who was doing the music kept playing the track and Chase was making a 'cut' sign to the guy to stop playing the CD. I felt quite embarrased for her and nearly bought her CD just because I kind of felt sorry for her

-Claire

Posts: 513 | Location: UK | Registered: August 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I'd love to meet people in person for autographs, however living where I do, it's pretty much impossible because there are never conventions and you never bump into anyone famous.

I also have a question about autographs on Ebay. There are people that frequently sell common cards that have been signed by celebrities for shows like Buffy, Supernatural and Charmed. I was wondering if these are fake? Mainly because I find it strange that they could get Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign cards when she has always refused to offically sign. I've even seen Buffy 10th cards that have been signed and these only came out in July. How have these people been able to get the stars to sign the cards? Or are they just fake?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CaptainMal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
I'd love to meet people in person for autographs, however living where I do, it's pretty much impossible because there are never conventions and you never bump into anyone famous.

I also have a question about autographs on Ebay. There are people that frequently sell common cards that have been signed by celebrities for shows like Buffy, Supernatural and Charmed. I was wondering if these are fake? Mainly because I find it strange that they could get Sarah Michelle Gellar to sign cards when she has always refused to offically sign. I've even seen Buffy 10th cards that have been signed and these only came out in July. How have these people been able to get the stars to sign the cards? Or are they just fake?

There is a seller that sells a lot of these and I can tell you that theirs are fakes, you only have to look at the signatures to know they have been forged. I've sent numerous emails to eBay about this person but they won't do anything without proof. I also sent an email to the seller, and got a load of abuse back - really immature abuse which doesn't do them any favors in my book. Also, like you said, if SMG isn't going to sign for Inkworks and be paid for it, something tells me she's not going sign a bulk of common cards for free.

If someone is selling an autograph that doesn't come with a certified C.O.A. or photograph of the person signing, then I say stay clear of it as chances are its fake. Especially when its someone that rarely ever signs anything.

Posts: 1093 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by headcase4:
Newbie here
Iv'e been collecting autograph cards for a while now an was wondering if anyone knows if the cards from the twighlight zone are authentic or repoductions as surley a great many of those signers would have passed on.
I'm often envious of you guys getting to meet all the celebreties personally,the only atographs i get is in packs and you never know who signs you just have to rely on the companies honesty.

Hello, as a Twilight Zone card freak, I can tell you that the autographs are all authentic and beautiful! There have been a few signers who have sadly passed since the cards were released, but all the autographs are genuine, handsigned and NOT reproductions. Smile

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMal:

There is a seller that sells a lot of these and I can tell you that theirs are fakes, you only have to look at the signatures to know they have been forged. I've sent numerous emails to eBay about this person but they won't do anything without proof. I also sent an email to the seller, and got a load of abuse back - really immature abuse which doesn't do them any favors in my book. Also, like you said, if SMG isn't going to sign for Inkworks and be paid for it, something tells me she's not going sign a bulk of common cards for free.

If someone is selling an autograph that doesn't come with a certified C.O.A. or photograph of the person signing, then I say stay clear of it as chances are its fake. Especially when its someone that rarely ever signs anything.

There's also someone selling Supernatural signed promo and base cards, which are obviously fake. He/she have been doing it for over a year, and even has Jeffrey Dean Morgan's apparent signiture on some cards. Unless of course they happen to have Jared, Jensen, and Jeffrey at their beck-and-call all year long, which I doubt. I'm amazed people still bid, and eBay hasn't done anything to stop it though I reported.

Anyway, just in regards to COA's, how would you know if one is genuine? anyone know of a specific company to look out for, so I can ask next time? I've received plenty of COA's that a seller has just printed off on their computer, and it annoys me cause ultimately it's just their word.

Posts: 169 | Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The main reason that I collect non-sport autograph cards straight from the packs is that there is no question of authentication. They are certified by the card manufacturer. A COA may not be worth the paper its written on. Don't be fooled by those photos of celebrities signing autographs; they are often pulled straight off the internet from other events. If someone is offering a signed Sarah Michelle Geller Buffy card for $7.00 just think. If you had gotten the real SMG to autograph a card for you, would you let it go for $7.00? That, my friend, is your answer.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I figured they were fake. People are selling them all the time and for the lesser known people you could believe they've been signed for real, but with big stars, I highly doubt it.
Obviously a lot of people believe they're real cause they seem to sell a hell of a lot of cards.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The main reason that I collect non-sport autograph cards straight from the packs is that there is no question of authentication. They are certified by the card manufacturer.

Actually a lot of the cards are authenticated by a 3rd party and sent in with the signed cards, it could be the stars secretary that authenticates them. The best one was Barbara Bach - see had her husband Ringo Starr authenticate hers!!!!

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Unless the person signed the card right there in front of you there is no way that you can say 100 % that the signature is genuine.

It all comes down to trust in the source you are getting it from. Card manufacturers must have checks in place to make sure as best as they possibly can that the signature is genuine. It would be madness for a card manufacturer to put a false autograph in a pack because if it was found out their business would be ruined so you can be fairly sure of your pack pulled auto.

As you say a COA is worthless, i'll knock you up a few hundred this afternoon if you need some, however a COA from someone you trust puts you once again on fairly safe ground until you come to sell it and then it's back to square one as the buyer does not know you or your trusted source.

Buying autographs has and allways will be a minefield. As the buyer you need to apply some commonsense and look carefully at the source. If you find yourself unsure in anyway do not buy it.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Unless the person signed the card right there in front of you there is no way that you can say 100 % that the signature is genuine.

It all comes down to trust in the source you are getting it from. Card manufacturers must have checks in place to make sure as best as they possibly can that the signature is genuine. It would be madness for a card manufacturer to put a false autograph in a pack because if it was found out their business would be ruined so you can be fairly sure of your pack pulled auto.

As you say a COA is worthless, i'll knock you up a few hundred this afternoon if you need some, however a COA from someone you trust puts you once again on fairly safe ground until you come to sell it and then it's back to square one as the buyer does not know you or your trusted source.

Buying autographs has and allways will be a minefield. As the buyer you need to apply some commonsense and look carefully at the source. If you find yourself unsure in anyway do not buy it.

Actually, what you really should do, is research. If you want to start collecting autographs, put in some time (like , years in some cases) just actually getting familiar with authentic examples of the set of autographs your interested in. learn your field. Once you can identify real from fake, that is the only way you can be truly certain. Heck, i know of a LOT of major card manufacturers who have issued "authentic" autograph inserts pulled from packs...that arent authentic. Its rare, but it happens more then you might think. Even the big authentication firms like James Spence authentics , and PSA/DNA get fooled all the time, and they have 'supposed' expertise that the card companies dont have. The best way to protect yourself in autographs, is to actually know and study and familiarize your self in the autograph in question.

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhamlau:
quote:

Actually, what you really should do, is research. If you want to start collecting autographs, put in some time (like , years in some cases) just actually getting familiar with authentic examples of the set of autographs your interested in. learn your field. Once you can identify real from fake, that is the only way you can be truly certain. Heck, i know of a LOT of major card manufacturers who have issued "authentic" autograph inserts pulled from packs...that arent authentic. Its rare, but it happens more then you might think. Even the big authentication firms like James Spence authentics , and PSA/DNA get fooled all the time, and they have 'supposed' expertise that the card companies dont have. The best way to protect yourself in autographs, is to actually know and study and familiarize your self in the autograph in question.

Whilst I totally agree with you zhamlau, it is much easier said than done. With all the fakes out there it is very difficult to differentiate the reputable from the forgeries if you are not totally engrossed in the field. Even if people do have the time to put in the research, knowing where to start isn't exactly clear-cut either when every auto-dealer will laud their items as the real deal.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heck, i know of a LOT of major card manufacturers who have issued "authentic" autograph inserts pulled from packs...that arent authentic.

Thats a bold statement, can you back this up?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Regarding unauthentic certified autographs, what zhamlau is referring to has happened, but it has occurred in only a handful of cases and not in any recent releases that I know of. Understandably the card manufacturers pay good money to get the real signatures and its their reputations that are at stake. To avoid embarrasment they have added internal controls (require witnesses or contract clauses) to ensure that nobody gets cute and has their girlfriend, secretary, or whatever signing for them. What has also happened in the past, usually with sports cards, is that you could pull a certified autograph card that was in fact not signed at all. Again, the manufacturers now have better quality control so these cards are eyeballed before they are dropped in the mix. I personally don't put too much faith in these 3rd party authenticators only because I have seen some slabbed autograph cards that I know didn't compare well to the real samples, yet they were passed anyway. As far as I'm considered an autograph card from a pack is as good a guarantee as you can get anywhere and you buy uncertified items at your risk.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Heck, i know of a LOT of major card manufacturers who have issued "authentic" autograph inserts pulled from packs...that arent authentic.

I can as I would call non autographed cards with the COA on the back not authentic. If I were to sign the card myself it wouldn't be authentic Big Grin

But seriously they did a thing on espn with the sports autographs and a lot of the cut autographs are in question as they busted a guy who fakes autographs(had like 500 he signed babe ruth or mickey mantle) and you couldn't tell the difference and he claims that some of his autos have appeared in cards..

Posts: 3874 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

http://www.sportslizard.com/article15.php

pretty funny, they did a special on HBO about the fakes that get put into autograph inserts at times. A lot of times, someone just tells em its real, so they buy it. or the just ship the card off to the celeb in question, and when they come back, they just send em out as certified. now, a vast majority of the time, they are authentic, but its happens more then you might think, here are some neat examples i found in the last 13 mins of looking

I guess the saying really is true, like father like son!

But, in his defense, maybe since english isnt his first language...maybe he forgot how to spell his name...or what it was...or even how to hold a pen like he normally does, and form letters they way he did before that signature...

I guess Here, topps and Upperdeck are just at odds as to how this guy signs his name, since they both are showing "certified pack pulled authentic autographs" of his on two differnt cards from the same year...just in two completely differnt hands.

Thats what i could find in the last 13 mins. If i really digged deep and went back into the old BAP hockey Pack Inserted autographs, you can get some CRAZY stuff!

Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
OH, i forgot one of my all time favorites. it comes from the good folks of autograph authentication , and ebays authenticator of choice, PSA/DNA!!!

this firm does authentication and has in the past as i understand it, facilitated autograph signings for some trading card companies...heres a great example of their work. nice little mark mcgwire autograph thats been 'certified' authentic...how cool. whats even better, is that this certified autograph, from even the most far off glance, by ANYONE , can see that not only is this autograph clearly a rubber stamp autograph that is LIFTING off the card, but that it was stamped in faded ink, and infact comes off THE SAME rubber stamp autograph mcgwire sent off for years! like, anyone who has ever written him, has gotten this stamped autograph...but the good folks at PSA/DNA, found fit to certify this obvious rubber stamp printed autograph AUTHENTIC...whats funny also is why you try and enter the code numbers on PSA's site...you get a no listing error...so now apperently this card doesnt exist...more authentic autograph from the the trading card world...yay...(i know this was a tangent, but i remembered it. Upperdeck and Pinnacle when they ran the Hockey Autograph insert brand BAP, had some funky issues too, like guys who had their friends and Girlfriends sign cards for them lol. I know no one cares that much probably, but i havent thought about that in a few years, would love to see if anyone still in the loop has the full story on which autographs were found out to be like this over the years.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
Absolutely amazing how these can class as authentic ! Eek

It may wel be none of those was ever signed by the person in question. Same goes for any auto in a pack I guess. At least the Trek Auto's I've pulled from Rittenhouse for Shatner, Takai, Koenig etc have been consistant and I trust Rittenhouse to obtain "the real McCoy" ! Wink

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew David:
and I trust Rittenhouse to obtain "the real McCoy" ! Wink

Oh very good. Big Grin Thumb Up