Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Authenticated Autographs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Authenticated Autographs
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
I have been in the autograph collecting area for less then a year and I am curious about different view points. I have run across some who feel that an autograph should be completely free and that it is an obligation that the star has to the fan. I have heard horror stories from both sides in the way fans behave toward stars and vice versa. I have sent autograph request through the mail with some success but the bottom line is that I really have no way of knowing if they are real or not. I personally like the idea of authenticated autographs from card companies and I wish more stars would get involved in doing so. What are your thoughts???

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of MiniMe
posted Hide Post
- I feel that the best type of authenticated autograph is one that is authenticated by you, the collector, wink as the autographer is signing your item. The next best thing is getting the item from someone you know & trust who was present at the signing. smile

@@@ ScottEvil cool

Posts: 4072 | Location: 40.71° N, 74.01° W | Registered: September 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love collecting autographs!!
My preferred way is obtaining them in person. I usually get the person to sign a non-sport card of themself or an 8x10. I sometimes get "promo" items such a posters signed as well.

I sometimes will purchase "authenticated" autograph cards, but usually I will just stick with pulling them out of packs if I am luck enough to do so.

Posts: 58 | Location: Virginia | Registered: February 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion if you are an autograph collector who gets the majority of your signatures on the secondary market, then I would suggest you go the authenitcated card route.
I say this for 3 reasons. First, there is really no question as to whether a card is authentic or not, as the card companies follow very strict rules when it comes to celebrities signing their product. Yes prices for 8x10's are lower but isn't the extra money spent worth the piece of mind.
Second, most secondhand autographs tout a COA. Anyone with a decent computer can print one up. As for those that show a photo, well in theory I could have a celeb sign one item for me and then use the same photo over and over again.
And my third and final point is resale value. As much as we hate to part with out beloved collections, there are times in our lives when selling a few items is necessary. If you own an authenticated card that you pulled or bought, you will have alot better chance of moving it at a decent price than you would a signed 8x10. Thumb Up

Posts: 147 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of #1hulkfan
posted Hide Post
I feel very lucky to be so close to the comic con. So many things to get there, autographs, posters, cards, etc etc. All being signed in person. I agree most of the autographs ive got in person are my favorites. But if you collect autographs sometimes you may select to purchase. Only recently has these auto cards in packs come out. So feel lucky if what you collect, has autos in packs, and you pull one.

Buyers always make the price, supply and demand. Which can change thru time. Just like stocks, try to sell when thier at the highest, if your selling.

Glad I sold those O.J.'s

hulkfan Wave

Posts: 171 | Location: San Diego , ca, usa | Registered: September 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
My first choice would of course be getting the signature in person but that isn't always an option. To date I have just 4 autographs I got in person. Katharine Isabelle (did a signing in a card shop next to a theatre when "Ginger Snaps" came out), Alyssa Milano (caught her in that same comic shop when she just happened to stop by to look around), Sarah McLachlan (my mother was in the same courthouse as Sarah was for her lawsuit and they both took breaks at the same time and mingled. Super friendly and outgoing, if she signed a trading card I'd buy it in a second) and lastly Gwyneth Paltrow (she was filming "Duets" 3 blocks from my house and during breaks between takes she chatted with the fans watching and signed autographs, another really friendly celeb). Cards are my second choice but my most abundant. As for the Willow card which was brought up a few times, it is definitely an unusual phenomena. While the number of autos isn't unusually low (roughly 500 or so, the same as most Buffy autos) they were tougher to pull pack then and the product sold out pretty much instantly. Then there is the amazing popularity of the character coupled with the actress being very fan friendly (for years she attended many of the cons and publicity events) and having her profile raised even more with another well liked character in the American Pie movies. The Willow card is as much an oddity in the Buffy set as Buffy cards are to card collecting in general. They just stand out from everything else.

Faith to Buffy:

"Thank god we're hot chicks with superpowers"

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I kind of stick to the more reputable sources of autographs, either from the card companies that are making them, companies that deal in genuine articles, or getting them myself. There are too many horror stories, of people shelling out big bucks, and getting autographs from some sleaze out to make a buck. Even if they get caught, penalties are pretty lax, and they're right back in business under another name. It has happened, especially in sports collectibles, where people have just let they're brains behind, and bought bogus autographs for a bargain basement price. P.T. Barnum was right, about a sucker being born everyday, and it still holds true today.

Posts: 537 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
Hiya everyone

I have been collecting autographs through the mail for around 3 years and I love it!

When I get a reply that appears to be real (ie that is definately not a pre print, auto pen or stamped signature) I search the internet for in person scans to compare my through the mail autograph to

I now mostly just collect Buffy and Angel autographs, most of which I have got in person. But the great thing about collect Buffy and Angel autographs trough the mail is that I can compare my reply to the Inkworks autocards. Obviously theres no way to be 100% sure that a through the mail autograph is definately real but comparing it to autocards and in person scans and have the signatures match does kind of put your mind at rest that the autograph reply is real

I definately agree that 8x10s are a lot cheaper than autocards. I don't know whats more exciting, getting an autograph in person or pulling an autocard from a pack! Both give me a thrill!

If anyone is interested theres scans of most of my through the mail and in person autographs at
http://groups.msn.com/StarAutographs

Talk later
-Claire

Posts: 513 | Location: UK | Registered: August 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
i sent you an e-mail, Claire
ChRiS Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
Ooh I like mail...I'll go have a read now Smile

-Claire

Posts: 513 | Location: UK | Registered: August 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Patdata
posted Hide Post
Great informative site Claire Thumb Up
You obviously put a lot of work into it.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
Thanks Smile I'm happy you like it. I know its really basic (not a lot you can do with MSN Groups) but I do try to put as much information as I can on there and try to keep it up to date

Thanks
-Claire

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for 'In Person' experiences, I have only ever regretted going up for an autograph, and that was at a Memorabilia NEC show a couple of years ago. An actor from one of my favourite 60's shows (I'm not naming names, but it WASN'T Trek) was signing photographs for a fee, which I thought was reasonable. There was noone else in the queue (so, in fact, there was no queue) I went up, and politely asked for a picture, money in hand. The actor didn't even look up - he just took a photo from the stack, signed it, pushed it over to me and ticked a list (a tally I suppose) Not a word passed his lips, not a smile, not a look

This guy has been mentioned before in another thread, the star of a certain western with yul Brinner and Steve McQueen in. Had the same experience with him. Frown

Other people are great, Brian Blessed, for instance was a real pleasure to meet.
Smile

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
Its a shame when celebrities you like aren't nice in person. So far all but one of the Buffy and Angel stars I've met have been really nice. Although alot of people have said that the one Buffy/Angel star who wasn't polite when I met her is usually really nice...I'm still highly disappointed by what she was like when me and my friends met her. Amber Benson is SUPER nice and friendly in person. She seems to enjoy meeting fans and takes time to chat to everyone

-Claire

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Andrew David
posted Hide Post
I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day but if you are taking someone's money to meet you then a bit of effort doesn't go amiss.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Derby, UK | Registered: December 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew David:
I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day but if you are taking someone's money to meet you then a bit of effort doesn't go amiss.

I totally agree. The one Buffy/ Angel star who I wasn't impressed with, me and my friends met on different days and she was offish both times
If they're getting paid they could give the fans a quick smile and say hi

-Claire

Picture of lapis
posted Hide Post
I've been very fortunate to have good experiences with my (small) number of autographs (the bulk are from Buffy people, but I've also gotten sigs from Bruce Campbell and Steven Williams, aka "Mr. X" of The X Files). I'm curious, though: most actors seemed pretty open to personalizing, yet a few did not, and I think it was understood that one in particular would not personalize at the venue in which he was appearing. Is there a reason behind this (I don't think time limits were a factor, as the rule was made clear early on)?

Posts: 87 | Location: Knoxville, TN, USA | Registered: March 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of BuffyAngelFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lapis:
I've been very fortunate to have good experiences with my (small) number of autographs (the bulk are from Buffy people, but I've also gotten sigs from Bruce Campbell and Steven Williams, aka "Mr. X" of The X Files). I'm curious, though: most actors seemed pretty open to personalizing, yet a few did not, and I think it was understood that one in particular would not personalize at the venue in which he was appearing. Is there a reason behind this (I don't think time limits were a factor, as the rule was made clear early on)?

Oooh who have you met from Buffy?

I think its odd that a celebrity would be unwilling to personalise. I'd of thought they'd prefer to personalise to decrease the chances of their autograph being sold on eBay

-Claire

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have met Harmony from Buffy & Angel.
She is very nice, and down to earth.
She sounded willing to be there, and she took time to talk to the fans, as well as pictures too!
ChRiS Smile

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lapis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffyAngelFan:
quote:
Originally posted by lapis:

Oooh who have you met from Buffy?

I think its odd that a celebrity would be unwilling to personalise. I'd of thought they'd prefer to personalise to decrease the chances of their autograph being sold on eBay

-Claire

Claire, that's why I'm puzzled about not personalizing, as I'm of the same mind as you. Weird. Anyway, I've met Adam Busch, Juliet Landau, James Marsters, James Leary, Danny Strong, Nicholas Brendan, Julie Benz, Iyari Limon, Georeg Hertzberg, Robin Atkin Downes, and Robia LaMorte.

Posts: 87 | Location: Knoxville, TN, USA | Registered: March 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post