Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are you?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Wavey
To all recent newbies...

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10449 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok, a little update.
I am Chris, I am F.O.B in Canada, from August 27th.

I like to collect the base sets of Angel, and all inserts from Buffy 7, Big Bads and Women of Sunnydale.

I am now 16, and I think I ma the youngest member of the board?!

That is about it.
Nothing too exciting -- Chris jack

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've procrastinated in posting since I tend to get a bit wordy at times, but here's my 2 (or 12) cents worth before this thread disappears...
As it appears to be for most of us, I'm an almost totally out of control collector; always was and probably always will be.
I got hooked on cards at age 6 with Nu-card dinosaurs and Abby Monster Action vending cards. I spent my life savings at the time trying to get the elusive 'S' card. (As an FYI, most cards had a letter on the reverse side. If you spelled out 'Dinosaur', you could exchange them for the official 'real' simulated dinosaur leather covered card album.) Parental intervention kept me solvent and scored me a album.
By age 8 I was up to 2 packs a day, spending all my milk money on Mars Attacks cards. I carried checklists with me at all times. It was great when that last box was checked off! I kicked the habit (or so I thought) in late '60s for other teenage pursuits. In college, I started on record albums and underground comix.
Fast forward to 1990. My parents decided to retire to Las Vegas, so I finally had to move out all the 'crap' I still stored in their home. Well, my mother must have been a closet collector, because almost all my old cards,comix,books,etc were still stuffed in closets. I soon discovered that I could find the missing singles for my incomplete sets at non-sports shows and sports shows and quickly started finishing sets and buying the new stuff, and buying more '60s stuff, and might as well bridge the two and get the '70s/'80s stuff, and then some '50s stuff, and ..., and ....
So now it's 2002. I again always carry my want list with me, but it's currently for finishing or upgrading 131 different sets from '30s to current, and it's still great when you finally finish off a set or chase run!!
(..and yes I've now got lot's of stuff. I haven't fully inventoried what I have, but I would estimate at least 1000 different sets, almost as many wrappers, hundreds of duplicate sets, scores of unopened boxes and thousands of singles and promos. I only hope I someday enjoy selling stuff as much as I do collecting it.)
Besides cards and various other 'small time' collections, I just started to buy records again at garage sales and auctions but boy do they take up room fast! I might actually start selling stuff so I can make room for more stuff, or maybe I should just buy a bigger house....
On a personal note, I'm currently single (how else could I be so out of control?) and employed as a 'computer guy'.

Posts: 332 | Location: NJ | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
WOW.

This thread is still alive smile

Amazing how many of us on here are tech-types, and the number of young woem is staggering! (I think we can thank Buffy and Disney for that!)

http:\\mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
I think this is a great thread so I decided to post. I am the Publisher of Non-Sport Update. In case everyone doesn't know, I am also the mother of Harris. Harris is the youngest of my three sons (age 36) so I'm not going to disclose my age but I've been around a long time, both in the hobby and on the face of the earth!

As you may have guessed, we love non-sport cards. We have a huge collection which includes sets such as Horrors of War, G-Men, Mars Attacks, many of the great sets from the 1960s, etc., etc. To be quite honest, I've never counted how many sets but there are a lot!

We used to be mail-order dealers but decided to stop doing mail order shortly after we started the magazine in October of 1990.

Besides non-sport cards, I collect bobbin' head dolls and was a "women" ahead of my time because I started collecting them way before the recent rage. I have over 600 in my collection. I haven't counted the bobbin' heads for several years.

I'm a big fan of eBay and start off every day looking for bobbin' heads and a few other special searches. I end every day playing computer games.

In the evening, while watching TV, I work with beads and make jewelry. Right now, I'm into bead-weaving. Sometimes the things I make fall apart and Harris loves to tease me about this.

I think everyone should have a hobby. It's a great outlet. We've met wonderful people through our hobby and have friends all over the world.

Roxanne

Posts: 56 | Location: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Roxanne, Nice to see you on the board!
I havent met you yet, but im sure I will, either at Parsippany or Philly smile

As Kenny said, seeing you post is definately a priviledge!
<blatant shameless self-promotional plug coming next>
And to think Im the one who started it all! big grin

<ducks as DisneyChick takes a swing>

See ya!
Dan

http:\\mtlhddoc2.8m.com

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
Hey, I forgot to mention that I only collect "non-sport" bobbin' head dolls. I have the original Big Boy (as well as the new reproductions), Dr. Casey, Dr. Kildare, Roy Rogers and you don't really want me to list all of them. I do want to say my favorites are by Heico and were made in Western Germany. They are like trolls and have the greatest detail in their features. Often times, collecting one thing leads to another. Collecting non-sport cards gave me the idea to collect non-sport bobbin' head dolls.

Roxanne

Posts: 56 | Location: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Publisher
Picture of Roxanne
posted Hide Post
I don't really want to be a junior member so here is one more post. I play Mah Jong on a weekly basis. Mah Jong or Mah Jongg is a Chinese game played with tiles instead of cards. If I told you how long I've been playing in the same group, it would give away my age, so I won't!

Roxanne

Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look out Paul Bines....Roxanne is making her move to catch up to you!!

I have absolutely no objections to being overtaken by Roxanne! smile
Hi Roxanne! Genuinely glad you could pop in! (Might keep that incorrigable HArris under control! big grin)

Au Res.,
Paul

Sometimes, one pack is not enough...

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of DisneyChick74
posted Hide Post
Leave it to you to gloat I will smack you when I get home.
I am sure Roxann would have taken herself away from her MANY wonderful hobbies to grace us with a post or 2 eventually :O)
It was great to see that Non-sport updat is run by many "real" people who have time to spend with the common folk you dont see that much anymore in todays huge industries. it was sweet
happy collecting all!
~DC razz

Posts: 1055 | Location: Cinderellas Castle | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of aagranata
posted Hide Post
It looks like the original intent of this thread is starting to fade, so I'll introduce myself! I'm 35 years old, married with an 18-month old daughter, and I teach mathematics at a community college in Puyallup, WA. I bought my first cards in 1976..a couple of Welcome Back, Kotter packs at the local Circle K. I really got into the hobby in 1977 with the release of Star Wars. Your status at school was measured by how many of the Wonder Bread Star Wars cards you had! I still remember the name of the kid who was the first one I knew had all 16 cards! That shows you how important it was! Does anyone else remember trying to see what card was in the loaf of bread?? Sure, the Topps cards were around also, but they weren't as popular. I'm sure opinions would be different today!

I stopped collecting when I moved to Germany in 1978 (Dad was in the Air Force). I had no choice since there were no non-sport cards in Germany back then. You could only get sports cards on base, so I collected those. I also collected German "quartet spiels". They were sets of cards featuring things such as ships, airplanes, autos, etc. and they came in a plastic case. I believe they were actually game cards, but since I didn't speak German I never knew how to play the game! Is anyone else familiar with these cards??

Nowadays, I enjoy collecting older Topps sets (Star Wars, Kotter, King Kong, etc.) and current sci-fi issues. My favorite set is the 1976 Topps Star Trek. I'm not a Trekkie, but this is a set I never imagined owning so it's special to me. Every now and then I'll cough up the cash to get an autograph card. I have the Spawn movie McFarlane autograph card and the Richard Hatch Battlestar Galactica auto, but in general I avoid autos since they're so expensive.

Geez, this post is so low down the thread...Will anyone read it????

Posts: 822 | Location: Spanaway, WA | Registered: May 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tamara
posted Hide Post
Of course we will read it! This thread has been one of the most interesting ever. I've been checking back on it a couple times a day just to read who's added on. It's great getting to hear a little bit from everyone.

Tamara

Posts: 1830 | Location: Victoria, Canada | Registered: March 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tamara
posted Hide Post
Me again...

I didn't really say much about us in my original post in this thread, so now that everyone has shared so much I feel the need to share *LOL* a bit about all of us here (I post but they contribute and read - someday I will get them to post for themselves).

I am a 30-something, married for ten years. My husband Bob (you all know him!) is 42 today - and he will kill me for telling you that!

Running a very busy company takes up most of our time and energy. We now have 2 new staffers helping out - Joss (Jocelyn) and Crystal. They both say "HI" to everyone.

I am a sci-fi nut, so most of my personal collection is from the sci-fi area of things.I have a little collection of related autogaph cards etc. I wish I could keep everything that passes through here! Among my personal favorite items in my private collection is my DeForest Kelley auto card, my Mummy Returns gorgeous men tri-factor autographs (Brendan Fraser/Oded Fehr/Arnold Vosloo) and my Simpsonmania Mr Burns sketch card (Mr Burns saying "Excellent Card Old Boy")

Bob is a big Sopranos fan - we think he may have been a gangster in his last life. His favorites in his personal collection are his James Bond autograph card of the late Desmond Llewelyn "Q", his NM/MT Rails and Sails set and his NM/MT Fighting Marines set.

Joss & Crystal are both twenty-somethings. Joss is married (2 years) and is a huge Simpsons fan. Crystal is single (and really cute guys so pay attention) - and her favorite thing about cards is costume cards.

Now I am the one that has babbled on for too long!

Tamara big grin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Victoria, Canada | Registered: March 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Hi, my name is Raj. I'm 37 and single.
I collect comics and cards.
I got into collecting through comics, X-Men cards, DC COsmics Teams, Lady Death etc. I was buying packs at this point.
Then Star Trek TOS 1. Autographs cards!
Now I (mostly) stopped buying comics cards (because the sketch cards are rubbish now) but buy boxes (and cases) of cards of sci-fi shows/movies like Star Trek, Stargate, Xena, Buffy and Angel. I'll be getting the James Bond sets, too. (I've got a complete set of the The World Is Not Enough auto set).

I've been buying original comic art as well and boast work by John Bolton (X-Men), Brian Bolland (Camelot 3000) and Alan Davis (Excaliber) in my collection.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also collected German "quartet spiels".

aagranata, I Wonder if the cards you mention might be what were called 'Top Trumps' here in the UK? A picture of a vehcle of some sort at the top, with technical details at the bottom?
If so, these were hugely popular in the late 70's when I was at Secondary school - there were LOADS of different sets! The idea of teh game was to deal the cards out to your friends then call out one of the categories on toe card (say "Top Speed") - the person with the highest "Top Speed" would take the cards off of everyone else and the ncall out a new categord - the idea being to win all the cards.

SFX did a Science Fiction set, in the style of Top Trumps, as a 'free gift' on one of their magazines last year - they occasionally come up on eBay.
The originals were about the same size as regular playing cards - though there WERE some very small card sets too!

Of course, I'm probably wrong, and you're thinking of something entirely different...
Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
And I WANT a set of those Top Trumps..they' got Trek cards...and I want them..cause they've got Tr...oh wait, I said that already....

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose it's time I chime in. . .

I am a 26 year old collector of things. Professionally I am an internet application developer for a US fortune 100 company. (Hopefully I will be able to make the leap to card/comic dealer in the next few years).

I have many collections including non-sports cards (duh!), various types of art (comic, animation, fantasy), comics and many other things.

One of the prize pieces in my non-sports collection is a complete set of known Saturday Night Live autograph cards. My personal collection is rare autographs, sketchagraphs and rare chase cards -- plus a few sets. Although in my pursuit of rare chase I have amassed TONS of sets, chase and commons.

Hope you enjoyed the read.

Jon

BTW: I'm very surprised at the number of comic art collectors who have posted. . . perhaps we could get some cross collection trading going!

box breakdowns, show reviews, rare autograph gallery and more: www.webjon.com/collect/index.html

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Lynne, your post was rather vague, but I believe I understand that you want those SFX Top Trumps cards?
I'll email you when I get home...
Au Res.,
Paul

Picture of robwaddle
posted Hide Post
Hi People!

My name is Rob, I'm 44 years young and i live in the lovely town of Cheltenham, next to the Cotswold hills in Gloucestershire, UK. I work for a major American IT company in admin, tho' I'm currently off work 'long term sick'. I arrived in Cheltenham 8 years ago, having been born at an early age in 'Sarf London, then spending time in Swindon (Wiltshire) and Bicester (Oxfordshire).

I got into trading cards via the Lord of The Rings movie. I've loved Tolkien since my teenage years and am counting the days 'till The Two Towers comes out (& The Return of The King & the dvds and....). My partner Linda says I'm a LOTR addict. Now, for the first time, I'm proud to admit publicly - My name is Rob AND I am a Tolkien fanatic.

In addition to LOTR cards, I'm building a good collection of Simpsons cards. I also collect Hildebrandt (no prizes for guessing why!) and some movie stuff (Men in Black, Grinch, Planet of the Apes to name a few). I have a few Star Trek base sets (with a few autos and chase sets). I buy on ebay (still planning to sell @ some point) and I've traded with several people on this board - big helloes to James, Paul and the rest of you. wink

I also collect movie memorabilia (I'm sure you know why!). I had a contact at a local cinema for posters, but that's dried up so I buy them instead. I also love watching movies, reading, current affairs and surfing the net.

My one great regret is - back in the dim and distant past I used to buy trading cards (Batman, Monkees, Planet of The Apes etc), but I was just a kid and didn't know what they'd be worth in my dotage. I wish I'd kept those cards now, I look at the price guide in NSU now and again & have a little cry. That's why my card collection will go to my son when I pop my clogs.

So. enough about me - possibly the oldest and definitely the most 'long winded' eek poster on this thread.

Rob

"I have come back to you now, at the turn of the tide"

Posts: 372 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pooky
posted Hide Post
Ok, here goes. I'm 24, female, live in western Minneapolis, and collect Buffy and Charmed and LOTR, but NO ANGEL (I'm weird like that). I buy cards by the box, and have recently stopped buying from the local shop, as they have decided to stop selling boxes at fair prices (They decided to hold a box of Buffy 5 for me for only $92.00 Per Box!) My hubby collects Star Wars and Star Trek almost exclusively. We buy off e-bay for the cards we can't find anywhere else, and I think that's about it. My favorite set of cards is the IKON The Story so far.....and that's about it for me!

Posts: 22 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post