Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are you?
 Login/Join

Picture of jaico
posted Hide Post
Hello, my name is Harry Friedman and I am located in Oxford Ohio. I am 45 and wish I had some of those Batman cards I put in my bike spokes as a kid. I'm a horticulturist for the Botany Dept. at Miami Univ. (esablished in 1809 before the city in Florida).
I started collecting comics around 1985 and added cards around 1990. I have been collecting comic art and playboy cards, but am slowly being drawn into the modern world of TV and movie cards.
I have yet to trade any cards and really need to get it together so I can finish some sets and get rid of some extras.
Recently I also started collecting coins, so I guess I am up collecting any items that begin with the letter "c"

Posts: 27 | Location: Hamilton, OH | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone, actually, I'm the oldest one here, how old? Well, I used to buy my Davy Crockett cards by the pack.

Besides my day job as a mild mannered staff member at a community college, I write a column for Non Sport Update called Cards OnLine, so I read all the posts in this forum, and I think this an interesting thread. Harris, we'll have to do another reader survey. So far, many of the posts here are from young women in their 20's.

Card collecting! It's not just for kids and men anymore!

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is Fran, I'm 51+, and I work for the postal service.
NSU got me hooked on collecting after their great article on the PeeWee Herman set a few years back.
I thought it was a cool set that included a little of everything fun--motion cards,jokes, puzzles,props,flip movies,etc. And now someone else was actually writing about this somewhat complicated set!
Now my major interests are the Buffy cards. I was only going to buy a pack of the ccgs. Now I'm shopping e-bay for foils. And if I had only purchased Joss's autograph way back when... And tomorrow, Evolution comes out...whoo hoo.
I also love the Simpsons and have a likeness for such things as Mad, National Lampoon, Sat. Night live, Twin Peaks, Muppets, and Berenstain Bears. And recently I have discovered a weakness for the Harry Potter ccgs.
I enjoy the writing of everyone who makes the time to post here and love the NSU magazine. Only wish I had more time to organize my cards and to contribute here,also. Take care, all, Fran

Posts: 48 | Location: Oswego, NY | Registered: June 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pendragon
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

My name is Jerry, I live in San Diego, but originally from Massachusetts. I'm 44 and work as a design draftsman when I'm not doing my first love which is acting. I first became addicted in 1991 with Impel's Star Trek 25th anniversary cards. Since then it's been out of control with everything trek, until recently. my collection consists of mostly sci-fi material like Trek, Farscape (my current favorite), X-Files, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Witchblade etc. I buy by the box and get the hard to get one's usually through eBay, though I do trade/buy with friends back east. I'm also a completest which can drive me crazy sometimes, and I think some of you can relate. One of my biggest thrills in collecting came when I pulled a William Shatner auto card from the Classic Trek Season 1 series after buying about a dozen packs from a local comic shop. I almost died. I later traded it for some other sets, auto cards, magic beans and a player to be named later. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope to meet some of you at Comic Con. Later dudes and dudetts

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of xst
posted Hide Post
You *traded* away a William Shatner auto???? eek eek eek

My heart just stopped beating........!!

Happy Stargating!

Posts: 1395 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Well noone has used this topic in awhile so I thought that I might try and bring it back for some of us new people.

OK, my name is Chris I am 33 and I am a manager of a store that sells new and used DVD, and VHS. I have been collecting since 1977 when Star Wars hit the screen. I stoped collecting in the mid to late 90's because there was just to much stuff to keep track of, plus I started collecting Star Wars, Star Trek and other figures instead. I got dragged back in by Rittenhouse's Wild Wild West cards and have not stop buying since then.

I love the hobby and will buy almost any set made buy Rittenhouse or Inkworks. I have forced a few friends and my boss back into the hobby by giving them full or parical sets that I had extra.

I have checked in at Cark Talk off and on but only joined resently. I love the site and NSU and plan to reup my subcribtion soon.

Well that's really all I can think of for now.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scorpiovamp
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I just recently delurked too. My name is Marlene, age 40. Started collected trading cards seriously with Buffy then Angel. My first box was Spike the Complete Story. Looking forward to the Serenity Release.

Posts: 285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: February 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Barbara C
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Card Talk, Marlene. Wavey

Posts: 3139 | Location: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Hey Marlene...welcome aboard,have fun and enjoy your stay Wavey

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi!

I'm tony, 20, married.

I used to be heavily into non sport cards and comics. I fell out of interest when i hit high school and pursued other extracurricular activities Angel but then i wised up and stopped getting into trouble. i got back into comics about a year ago, and now i'm getting back into cards more seriously. it was the lost in space set that did it. i collect lost in space memorabelia and and saw the ads for the new set. my interest was more than sparked and now i'm hooked.

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
My name is Steve Jefferies
I am 44 years old
I collect star wars and Lord of the rings mainly
I have an interest in Dr Who, Harry Potter and Sliders
I have been collecting for 3 years
I have all the LOTR sets (approx 4 of each)
All Widevision Star wars sets (mostly completed)
I work as a QS for a Construction Company
I am totally addicted to card collecting except when I am running my Division 2east Welsh Rugby Union Rugby Club, I am the treasurer.
My wife is always asking me when I am going to start doing work around the house? I tell her when I am finished!!

Posts: 1776 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My name is Gilles!
Love non-sport!
Worked in road construction!
Buffy, Xena, Dark Angel fan!
Live in Canada!
Right now collecting the new hockey set at McDonalds!
Favourite cards are the Wayne Gretzky rc and Hudson Leick auto card!

Posts: 537 | Location: Canada | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ferrian1
posted Hide Post
I'm a new lurker.

But seriously just found the site a few days ago, and will likely lurk for quite some time before posting anything but thought this was the appropriate place to announce myself (forgive me if I've got the wrong spot).

I'm quickly closing in on 30, and I'm a software development manager in the telecommunications industry in Canada.

My standard line to people is that I collect collections! On and off I have collections of hockey cards, non-sport cards, comics, coca-cola memorabilia, olympic pins, other pins, statues and mini-busts, and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting. It was always hockey cards as a kid, and then that switched to comics around 16, I dabbled in non-sports with the Marvel cards eventualling putting more focus there than on comics. Collecting non-sport became a difficulty as I was buying everything online (and when I got married, having all of those packages arriving and cluttering the house wasn't going to work!). My OCD had also kicked in, and I like to complete things, this was tricky for NS.

I switched to hockey after finding a talk board like this where I could collect and trade with others. That was about 3 years ago, and my hockey collection has grown in leaps and bounds since. I started buying auto and pieceworks type cards off of E-Bay before X-mas again, and in looking for more info stumbled across this site. I'm glad I did (my bank balance may not be).

Now that I have found a community to talk and trade with, I foresee getting back into NS (primarily looking forward to X-Men 3, but also Firefly, Stargate, Buffy, etc). Of course I first need to go through everything I have to build want and trade lists (there goes the OCD again) before I start actively participating around here, but until then I will be lurking!

Posts: 23 | Location: Great White North | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Wave Welcome and enjoy

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Ged
posted Hide Post
Hi I'm Ged i'm 21 nearly 22 lol from liverpool england and have been collecting cards for about 11 years now. my first set was marvel masterpices 1994 then onto the 95 fleer ultra x-men. back then i also didnt know about buying by the box and all the diffrent variation of chase cards so it was only about a year ago i finished the set Big Grin. these days i mainly collect james bond but have been collecting the x men movie cards and am looking forward to the highlander sets and the x men 3 cards

Posts: 562 | Location: Liverpool UK | Registered: March 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of tialessa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrian1:
Now that I have found a community to talk and trade with, I foresee getting back into NS (primarily looking forward to X-Men 3, but also Firefly, Stargate, Buffy, etc).

Welcome to Card Talk...

And don't forget about the Serenity movie set that came out last September Big Grin

Posts: 5550 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tialessa:
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrian1:
Now that I have found a community to talk and trade with, I foresee getting back into NS (primarily looking forward to X-Men 3, but also Firefly, Stargate, Buffy, etc).

Welcome to Card Talk...

And don't forget about the Serenity movie set that came out last September Big Grin

yes,welcome aboard here,have fun and enjoy your stay Wave

Looking forward to some trading in the future Cool

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose it's time I posted here. As you probably guessed, I'm an on-again-off-again collector. I've just made it back here after a little jaunt working for Starfleet, protecting the UFP from Romulans, Klingons, Lyrans, Kzinti, and the like.

Don't look at me like that, I really have! It was a lot of work being an Admiral in the UFP's finest Fleet.

Hey, we all have our vices, some more so than others. At least I quit smoking in the last 2 weeks! Clap A 25 year old monkey is a hard thing to shake, let me tell you!

So, let's see, I guess I really should be getting to the standard routine. I'm a 40 year old kid, married to a somewhat forgiving wife, 3 kids, a mortgage, and a dead end job. The dead end job isn't too bad, and I guess there may be a way out of it someday, but it pays the bills. If you're interested, I work at a local pump factory as a general machinist, been there 19 years now. I fix my own house, fix my own car, and am in debt up to my armpits.

See, I'm not all that much of a kook after all LOL

I started collecting cards back in 1977 when Star Wars hit the big screen. Since then, I've gathered up quite a few SW sets plus a whole plethora of Star Trek sets. As you can tell, I'm into the SF side of things, so naturally I also have sets like Alien, Black Hole, and Men In Black. Just for good measure, I have a few automobile sets, Simpsons sets, and music sets as well.

Since I don't watch much TV, I don't really go after much else, so many of these new titles have me scratching my head LOL

What else...I'm a music fan- I don't go for that long haired stuff except perhaps the Beatles. Roll Eyes Sorry- couldn't help it! I grew up in the 80's, so naturally I really like 80's tunes. Whoever says they don't is a liar! Mind you, it got pretty lame near the end of the decade, I'll give you that. I've been into rock (any name you can think of- metal, punk, alt, whatever) since the first time I heard AC/DC in 1980. If anyone tells you rock is dead, well, just remember it can't be killed. Maybe overlooked, tread upon, largely forgotten, buried, ignored, etc etc etc, but believe you me, it's still out there and lately it's been better than ever! Big production really did just about kill it off back in the late 80's.

But that's a discussion perhaps for some other place than this.

Let's see...

I guess I'll wrap it up by saying I've been doing some catching up the last month- I have some great trades in progress, I've been snapping up basic sets- that's all I'm really interested in anymore, autographs never meant that much to me, I'm too poor to attempt to buy boxes, let alone insert sets, although Ebay has some great stuff- sure wish I had the means to get some things I've seen lately, although I just lucked out on getting an "E.T." set with all 12 stickers (I thought I'd never see sticker #'s 10, 11, 12)

One last thing- thank you...no...

THANK YOU!!

NSU for a great place for all of us birds of a feather to come and flock together! It wouldn't be nearly as great without you fine folks helping us out. Luv You

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of charmedmad
posted Hide Post
hi this is me

name: colin campbell
ocupation: a carer
home address: sheffield uk
email address: sheffguy1981@hotmail.com
hotmail address: same as above
about me: i am a gay male living in the uk i am 25 years old and i just started collecting trading cards in march of this year 2006, all i am collecting at the minute is charmed trading cards i have 2 complete master sets and i have almost completes the other 2,i have purchest a case load of the destiny cards and the uncut sheet and binder alrady and hope to almost complete that from the case load.

i did start collecting csi but i sold these up because i was not keen on them as the others.

i will be collecting the aliens vs preditor and the 4400 after i have finished the charmed sets, ones i have done thm then i think i might try and give lost ago.

my partner has been collecting the spike set he has almost completed that one he needs about 5 cards thats it.

what we would like to see in the future is, ome more charmed sets like the innocent or the charmed vanqushes or something like that, a madonna set,a will and grace collection and maybe a nip tuck collection. Smile

Posts: 4508 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard Komodo and Colin. Enjoy your stay!! Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post