Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Trading Cards - a diminishing customer base ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trading Cards - a diminishing customer base ?
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I would welcome a marketplace...

Do you all mean like Facebook does? Groups can sell to members? If so that would be cool. People who sell to put food on the table could sell at will?

Well that's just it, isn't it? What sort of a marketplace would be set up? A formal buying/selling platform? An informal flea market type gathering? What is the responsibility of the host website, if there are any? Do we have tax consequences or tax records to consider? What happens with complaints?

I have no idea, all I do is buy cards. Big Grin

Maybe you could introduce the Facebook group rules. I'm not on Facebook and don't know how they handle anything like that or if it could be applied over here with permission from the host. I would like the chance to connect with more sellers, but things are always easier said than done.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a significant difference to actively posting what you have for sale (generating content on a forum) and passively being cool with someone emailing you.

I don't see the responsibility of the host website being any different than it is for traders.

In my opinion literally the only thing that would need to change on Card Talk is that the powers that be would need to allow buying and selling in the trading forum. That's it.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As far as I am concerned NSU and subsequently Card Talk was intended for readers and contributors to exchange information about cards not to sell them. Other avenues exist to do that.

regards

john

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If the host site allows buying and selling does it have any responsibility if the deal goes wrong?

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
As far as I am concerned NSU and subsequently Card Talk was intended for readers and contributors to exchange information about cards not to sell them. Other avenues exist to do that.

regards

john

While that is a nice thought the reality is that buying and selling wasn't initially allowed on Card Talk because they didn't want free 'ads' on Card Talk competing with paid advertisers (probably both on Card Talk and in the magazine).

The dynamic has certainly changed since then as Card Talk's user base and traffic has significantly eroded, and there are no advertisers on Card Talk.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
If the host site allows buying and selling does it have any responsibility if the deal goes wrong?

No more than they would for trades, and actually perhaps less as there are easy to user buyer protections with Paypal.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Back in the day we had a few “traders” scam a few others in the trade section and I remember Harris having to post that you trade at your own discretion. I don’t see why selling would be much difference. I agree with PayPal that would take the burden of a sale going bad off of cardtalk.

I am for it.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say that it's not that simple, but it's not that simple. Big Grin

There is a big difference between the friendly, mutually agreed upon swapping of cards and the monetary purchase of cards where a cash transaction is processed. For one thing, presumably someone is making money off of it. Forgetting all those nasty little details about the method of payment, vetting of participants, tax issues if any, complaints and any and all legal responsibilities of the host website that I wouldn't even know about . . .

If I were running a website, I would not allow other people to have free access to it in order for them to make money without having a piece of the action in some manner. It is not the same as allowing a trading thread. Money changes everything. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I were running a website,

If you were running the website you may do things differently.

Literally none of the forums or Facebook groups I use that have B/S/T sections apparently have any of the concerns that you mentioned.

The only sites where cards are sold by individuals that I am aware of that take a 'piece of the action' are full eCommerce sites like eBay and COMC. Clearly those types of sites have a different level of involvement and responsibility for the transaction than a forum.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry to say that it's not that simple, but it's not that simple. Big Grin

There is a big difference between the friendly, mutually agreed upon swapping of cards and the monetary purchase of cards where a cash transaction is processed. For one thing, presumably someone is making money off of it. Forgetting all those nasty little details about the method of payment, vetting of participants, tax issues if any, complaints and any and all legal responsibilities of the host website that I wouldn't even know about . . .

If I were running a website, I would not allow other people to have free access to it in order for them to make money without having a piece of the action in some manner. It is not the same as allowing a trading thread. Money changes everything. Wink

I think you're over complicating things a bit.

As webjon said, none of the 'issues' you list seem to be a factor on other forums or fbook groups. Individuals should always do their due diligence and buying off eBay is no guarantee to be free of problems.
Two facebook groups I am part of: Star Wars Autograph Universe, and Star Wars Card Collectors, manage themselves very tightly and any trouble makers are booted to the curb without hesitation.

Star Wars Autograph Universe are autograph, rather than trading card focused, but there is some crossover and they did break the info regarding the possibly counterfeit Kenny Baker autos in Topps SW products since 2016. They have also helped set up the private signings with Harrison Ford the past three years, and most recently Natalie Portman if you can believe it. Should anyone list something for sale on their page, it is vetted by an admin/expert and will not be allowed unless legit.

I think even where the 'host' doesn't get a slice of the transaction, the open promotion of sale and/or trade between collectors does help the hobby to grow and makes purchase of future product more appealing if you have a means of moving on what you don't want more easily.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You fellas know more about Facebook groups than I do because, hey I don't even belong to Facebook. Big Grin If you can suggest places where other non-sport card collectors can go to hook up with card sellers, that would probably be appreciated by other readers.

My comments were merely that it would be good to have some sort of a buy/sell marketplace here between members, but I wouldn't expect it after all this time. Yes this is a card forum, but NSU is parented by Beckett, and even when the Tosers had NSU they did not allow buying off Card Talk. It was trading only, which sort of broke down too, and then there was the matter of what is or isn't advertising. This isn't just a fan site, it does have a business connection.

So its a good subject to bring up and it would be interesting to hear from anyone who actually had any power to make these kind of changes on Card Talk or explain why they can't be made. I don't think I would want to have a website myself, too many headaches for me. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Well, after many years of worrying about the non-sport hobby shrinking into obscurity, things seem more popular now than ever.

It would be interesting to know how much of the surge in interest is down Covid/the extra disposable income that some have had, and where prices and participation will settle once things normalise.

Things seem pretty quiet on this board but card groups on social media seem very busy in comparison.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
It would be interesting to know how much of the surge in interest is down Covid/the extra disposable income that some have had, and where prices and participation will settle once things normalise.

I can tell you for myself, I don't think I would've gotten as into cards without the pandemic. I just discovered them in the fall of 2019 and was picking up a few on eBay, joined a break in February, never intended to buy sealed product myself. Then Covid hit, I was stuck at home, and I needed something to look forward to. I bought Star Trek Inflexions boxes and opened 1 pack every Sunday. Now I've purchased two cases which I'm working through one box per week. (Side note: I found my Quotable Voyager case because I'd seen SciFi Cards post here & on Blowout. Smile )

To me, whether or not I keep opening sealed product mostly depends on price. I bought my case of DS9 Heroes & Villains for $600. The same retailer is now selling it for over $1000. If anything drives me back to picking up singles, it will be the $900+ cases.

Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post