Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Trading Cards - a diminishing customer base ?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trading Cards - a diminishing customer base ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Is it bad that I'm on the hunt for Six Feet Under cards now!? lol.

Posts: 90 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of john the hat
posted Hide Post
i have loads of them lol

Posts: 1115 | Location: England | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cujobyte:

You are welcome to whatever I have.

Send me email.

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cujobyte:

That was one of the first sets I started to collect when I started collecting in 2007. Still have the big two auto and the expansion autos to collection. I don't have any extra auto but I have a full base set, and some inserts.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Seems the base sets have become almost surplus to the sets as of 2018? Fairly easy to acquire but as 'standard' as the packaging for packs or sealed boxes, just 'there' but no one seems to pay much attention?

What do you think manufacturers could do to re-ignite interest in base sets?

Or alternatively do you think some manufacturers should experiment with base-less sets with more hits? Just theroising.

I'm a fan of base sets and think they're underrated and used to have a predominantly base set centred collection. It's at the core of trading I think.

I guess since people can buy who sets online these days there's faster instant gratification than collecting card by card in trades.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Since Covid-19, I’ve noticing less packs and boxes of trading cards at Target and Walmart - sports and non-sports cards. Maybe the tide is turning and the customer base is climbing?

It’s just interesting that the Topps products out at those retail locations appears to be selling out. Do you think Upper Deck and Cryptozoic will making more retail blaster boxes and packs of non-sport properties?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Do you think Upper Deck and Cryptozoic will making more retail blaster boxes and packs of non-sport properties?

No, if anything they seem to be headed more toward exclusive, rather than retail for non-sport titles. Unless you mean the gaming cards or little figures that CZE seems more interested in selling.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That’s unfortunate because it would be great to see some retail products of Marvel and DC along side Star Wars and GPK blasters and packs at the retail stores.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I look for non-sport at Walmart and Target but see very little and there was none the last time I went to Target.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Since Covid-19, I’ve noticing less packs and boxes of trading cards at Target and Walmart - sports and non-sports cards. Maybe the tide is turning and the customer base is climbing?

It’s just interesting that the Topps products out at those retail locations appears to be selling out. Do you think Upper Deck and Cryptozoic will making more retail blaster boxes and packs of non-sport properties?

I agree, it seems that the tide is turning! I also am seeing more and more people talk about picking up blasters -- it seems that Topps may have found a recipe to revive mass merchant sales!

I think UD and Crypto would love to be selling at retail like that. I'm sure if they have a product they thought they could produce for mass merchants they would do it. . .

The trouble is I think that it is a very specific type of product that will sell at Target or Walmart -- it seems that few licenses will move enough product on their own without a 'hit,' and for most products it is hard/expensive to produce a valuable hit.

Star Wars and GPK both happen to be products where parallel cards can sell for good money. . . Parallel cards are predictable, cheap and easy to manufacture compared to say a sketch or autograph.

Few other licenses have the following that GPK or SW has, and no others that I know of can command the premiums that those licenses can with parallels. For right now I think that is the 'secret sauce' that makes those releases viable.

I'd love to see UD and Crypto expanding -- maybe UD can pull it off with something Marvel -- perhaps Marvel Masterpieces, but I dunno, other than that I can't think of other licenses/brands that would shift enough units to be viable at mass.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I agree, it seems that the tide is turning! I also am seeing more and more people talk about picking up blasters -- it seems that Topps may have found a recipe to revive mass merchant sales!

I think UD and Crypto would love to be selling at retail like that. I'm sure if they have a product they thought they could produce for mass merchants they would do it. . .

The trouble is I think that it is a very specific type of product that will sell at Target or Walmart -- it seems that few licenses will move enough product on their own without a 'hit,' and for most products it is hard/expensive to produce a valuable hit.

Star Wars and GPK both happen to be products where parallel cards can sell for good money. . . Parallel cards are predictable, cheap and easy to manufacture compared to say a sketch or autograph.

Few other licenses have the following that GPK or SW has, and no others that I know of can command the premiums that those licenses can with parallels. For right now I think that is the 'secret sauce' that makes those releases viable.

I'd love to see UD and Crypto expanding -- maybe UD can pull it off with something Marvel -- perhaps Marvel Masterpieces, but I dunno, other than that I can't think of other licenses/brands that would shift enough units to be viable at mass.

Where’s the “like” button for that post? Thumb Up

Seems superheroes are “in” right now so Upper Deck probably could do something with Marvel that tugs at the memories of people who used to collect Marvel cards in the 1990’s. Maybe something along the lines of Marvel Universe and Fleer Ultra. Put them in those $19.99 blaster boxes with a hologram box topper card and I think they’d sell pretty good.

Unfortunately for Cryptozoic, they have DC and their legacy in trading cards doesn’t have that same type of nostalgia. But maybe if they packaged a couple packs of cards with one those vinyl figures in a $19.99 blaster box that could be something good at retail stores.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Heroes For Hire,

posted Hide Post
That's a great idea with Marvel Universe -- they could keep Masterpieces as their premium hobby/ePack line and do a retail only line with Universe.

I agree Crypto has a harder license situation right now. Topps was able to make Walking Dead work. . . Crypto might have been able to do that too, but I don't really see any current DC products that I think would fly off the shelves at retail.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With the popularity of The Mandalorian spurring on (renewed) interest in other Star Wars characters from the franchise, I’m sure Star Wars will have a few more collector joining (rejoining) the trading card hobby in 2021.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With Covid and everything that is going on our hobby has got quiet stagnant
All you sellers that are posting on this forum even though you are not big in the industry all have something the collector wants .
But you have to advertise that you are a seller and on E Bay Facebook etc to let people know you are out there and your particular genre
This forum has a advertising site on it wich i think has generous conditions for most of your needs
If you even advertise your site monthly i am sure that members will come to it to look and possibly buy
this will save members from trawling through thousands of E Bay etc listings to find cards etc
Dont worry about the large companies dont be greedy just conduct a reputable buisness and people will come to you
The thought that Card Companies will sell on E Bay is not that far fetched but I think that they will shoot themselves in the foot by trying to charge more for inserts signed cards etc in wich they would be controlling the price of cards in my opinion they would have to start each card being it base insert etc at the set price of a pack divided by the number of cards in that pack and let the auction of such cards determine the price there on.
But I would say to all you smaller members who sell use the forums advertising site so we know that you are out there
Thats My Rant

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
This forum has a advertising site on it wich i think has generous conditions for most of your needs

Actually, the rules around the forum advertising were very restrictive.

And I don't think they are currently supporting that section. So you can't start advertising there now.

Other than that, you can't advertise on this forum.

I advertise in NSU, but the return on that investment is not very good.

It's not quite as simple as you make it out.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a sort of similar vein -- I think the lack of a Buy/Sell/Trade forum on Card Talk is why a number of other forums have been able to take a lot of traffic in the entertainment card discussion from Card Talk.

I think a free and open B/S/T forum would bring more traffic and ultimately more discussion to the site.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Beckett owns NSU and the Beckett website operates it's own marketplace. I don't disagree with the desire to be able to buy and sell on Card Talk with members that you have come to know, but it's unlikely to happen. Several people who post are obviously dealers or given to selling/trading. I would suggest that interested parties should contact them off the forum.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
With Covid and everything that is going on our hobby has got quiet stagnant
[...]
But you have to advertise that you are a seller and on E Bay Facebook etc to let people know you are out there and your particular genre
If you even advertise your site monthly i am sure that members will come to it to look and possibly buy
this will save members from trawling through thousands of E Bay etc listings to find cards etc
But I would say to all you smaller members who sell use the forums advertising site so we know that you are out there

I'd say I have seen the opposite. I think with more people off work, and some people with more to spend on their hobbies because they have nothing else to do, lots of card sales have been very strong on eBay and in some facebook groups.
I think eBay will always remain the main venue to sell cards due to the audience that can be reached. Even if more sellers advertised here, many people may not know to come here or know where to look.

quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
In a sort of similar vein -- I think the lack of a Buy/Sell/Trade forum on Card Talk is why a number of other forums have been able to take a lot of traffic in the entertainment card discussion from Card Talk.

I think a free and open B/S/T forum would bring more traffic and ultimately more discussion to the site.

I agree completely.
Blowout is spoiled somewhat by some collectors who apply their sports card mentality to non-sports but you cannot deny it is not an active, buzzing forum. There can be too much focus on buying, flipping and profit but the breaks and selling sub-forums no doubt bring in a lot of traffic that does spill out onto the discussion forums, and this forum could do with a real shot in the arm in that respect. On the members logged in thread here yesterday, apparently there were 3 members and 391(!) guests.
I've always thought there is a bit more depth to the conversations here and a real treasure trove of valuable information for collectors contained in these boards. It would be a shame if this forum died off because it could not adapt and entice more new collectors in. They are certainly out there.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Beckett owns NSU and the Beckett website operates it's own marketplace. I don't disagree with the desire to be able to buy and sell on Card Talk with members that you have come to know, but it's unlikely to happen. Several people who post are obviously dealers or given to selling/trading. I would suggest that interested parties should contact them off the forum.

I would disagree that it is obvious who are dealers/open to selling. The option of making cold approaches off-forum is not the best way to keep this forum thriving.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

I would disagree that it is obvious who are dealers/open to selling. The option of making cold approaches off-forum is not the best way to keep this forum thriving.

If a member includes a working email in their profile, then they are not opposed to being contacted. If they don't add it, they would rather not. What is the harm in asking? I seem to remember talking to you once and I was very satisfied with our trade. Too bad we are not on the same continent.

And a few posters are obviously dealers. That's not suggesting random pestering, we already know who they are and they want to be called. Wink

As far as forum rules, they have been the same regarding this issue for many years. I would welcome a marketplace, I just don't expect it.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would welcome a marketplace...

Do you all mean like Facebook does? Groups can sell to members? If so that would be cool. People who sell to put food on the table could sell at will?

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post