Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Your Favourite Sketch Card
Page 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favourite Sketch Card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
I like sketches, and sometimes buy individual ones, but rarely buy boxes of sketch focused product because it is just so hard to randomly pull a sketch that you would go out of your way to own. I don't consider myself a sketch collector, just appreciate certain ones.

This is my main issue with sketch sets and I do not understand how collectors so heavily invest in breaking such product (different story for dealers obviously). Art is SO subjective, no one collector can like everything they pull. You will inevitably end up disappointed with something. When I read of collectors who bust sketch card cases say how much they LOVE every sketch they pulled (when they all look completely different and are of a skill level most people would consider dreck) I can't but think they're just trying to justify having spent lots of money and got 'less' than if they'd just bought a couple of cards they really liked on the secondary market.

I agree on all counts that an official 'trading card' is far more desirable than a PSC or ACEO if the former is available. That said, the sad thing is that the quality of the work put into some licenced product is truly shocking. Some of the work collectors get commissioned can be truly phenomenal, I guess the artist being paid direct is a good incentive to turn out great work for a client who they KNOW will love the finished piece.

OK X, I really enjoyed your post and had to bust out laughing. So now all those sketch card collectors can rise up and say nasty things about both of us, but I do look at some of the sketches that people have raved about and I don't know if they talked themselves into believing it or if they are just blind. Big Grin Art is HIGHLY subjective. Smile

Anyway to your other point, there are many commissioned pieces that are outstanding and of course certain artists are in great demand. I have not tried to get one for a couple of years and I really hesitate to even approach one of these better known artists now. I don't know what they are charging and I would hate to back out after getting the estimate. Also there seems to be a long wait time if you do try for certain people. So since I don't really feel that strongly about it I tend not to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arrogant enough to assume or assert that my taste in art or sketch cards is the barometer by which all art must be judged, and I will happily accept, and be pleased for a collector, that likes something I do not. I wouldn't give you a tenner for a Katie Cooke sketch card, but boy she has her fans!

I only like certain kinds of art/artists, and so does the person who hates what I like. I am certain that no-one likes EVERYTHING. I don't see how that is possible. To like everything is the absence of having any taste at all, and that can't be accurate: we all have aesthetic preferences in every part of life, but particularly when it comes to artwork which is meant to be a fairly evocative and emotional experience.

This is my latest sketch which I bought not knowing who it was by (I have since found out it is by Joel Biske). I have wanted a nice colour Vader sketch card for years and it is, in fact, only my third colour Star Wars card ever. Going back to the original point, why bust case after case when I could just buy this for £25? I guess Biske is not a big name but I know I would not have got (what I consder) the same 'quality' or better out of every inserted sketch I may pull if I were brave, or crazy enough to bust boxes.

I get what you say about the feeling of effort that goes into reaching out to these artists and negotiating a 'job'. Still, I respect the effort and passion a fan must put in to carve out a unique collection for themselves, crafted to their individual tastes.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh lord knows I'm no art critic either, I just like to have a little fun with it.

When it comes to sketches everyone likes what they like, but I do think that the same person can appreciate different styles. Cooke's great popularity goes back a long time now and her style is more whimsy than anything else. Artistically wise there is no way you could compare her work to someone's like say Desbois, but it's not supposed to be compared and liking one doesn't mean you can't enjoy the other. How much it costs is a separate issue. Wink

And that was what I meant when I was talking about commissions from the top tier artists whose names we are getting pretty familiar with. There is nothing better than a unique, personal collection, but sketch prices on official product is very high for the best known artists and very reasonable, if not downright cheap, for everyone else. There is a glut of sketches on the market and lots of good ones to choose from, so I have been searching through the listings for stuff I like, rather than trying to go for more commissions right now.

Sorry if I strayed from the original thought. Your Vader is quite good and probably better in person.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Market saturation seems to be working in the collectors favour as decent sketches can be had so much cheaper than in recent years now they are no longer the latest thing. This is great news as well given that sketch quality has been raised overall for most sets IMO.
I think my Vader is a fair example of that. It's not the fanciest of sketches but it is executed well and I would say was a bargain given traditional sized sketches for that set (rather than fold-out/panoramic sketches) are meant to be rarer as well!

All that said, it surprises me just how much some collectors are willing to pay for some sketch cards almost as if the sky is the limit. There is a lovely Charles Hall Vader sketch on eBay right now but with another £200 on top of the cost of my card. How do collectors justify the additional spend when there are loads of other Vader sketches out there too?
I remember when the first few Star Wars sketch sets came out there was an eBay bidder maned 'darksidfinger' who would just buy up everything. His funds seemed limitless and if he was bidding on a sketch card, it was a very rare day indeed if he decided not to win.

As someone who has collected trading cards for a good 15 years but only has about 20 sketch cards total, I find it fascinating to hear what motivates real hardcore sketch collectors to build massive sketch collections. Someone earlier in the thread said they had 300+ Katie Cooke sketches, which boggles my mind - no less because of the money needed to accomplish such a feat for that artist.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I remember when the first few Star Wars sketch sets came out there was an eBay bidder maned 'darksidfinger' who would just buy up everything. His funds seemed limitless and if he was bidding on a sketch card, it was a very rare day indeed if he decided not to win.

He's still around, and winning a LOT of auctions. He just has someone else doing his bidding.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

He's still around, and winning a LOT of auctions. He just has someone else doing his bidding.

Ed

What, like an actual Sith? Roll Eyes

I would be fascinated to see the great pieces, and sheer volume, that has disappeared into his cavernous collection.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Meant to share this a while back. Don't watch the show but I know beauty when I see it. It's one of the 2 Leaf sketches I got from SDCC 2015 and this is by the Glebe brothers. Not sure if I want to keep it....decisions, decisions.....sigh.

Will post my other pretty later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NL,

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That is not a sketch, it's a painting. Very exceptional work. Thumb Up

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. That is exceptional but so is all of the Glebe's work.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with you both. I saw it and just went "Wow!"

quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
quote:

I agree. That is exceptional but so is all of the Glebe's work.

Posts: 806 | Location: san diego | Registered: December 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the other pretty. It's a Marcia Dye bit of awesomeness!!! [URL= ]Harry Potter[/URL]

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
oooh i like that one, very nice.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MarcG
posted Hide Post
I do not own many sketch cards but my Favorite one that I own is By Kristin "Foxy" Allen...

Posts: 1595 | Location: USA | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
SP 2013, who's that guy? Wink Sean Pence

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
quote:
SP 2013, who's that guy? Wink Sean Pence

Yes, at the time I was congratulating Hammer on his birthday gift commissioned from Pence.

I don't have that many sketch cards, maybe high 200s now, but when I started collecting non-sport there was a short list of artists who I really wanted; Cat Skaggs, Sean Pence and Nick Neocleous.

Chris Henderson was on the boards back then and I was lucky enough to connect with him and he did a fair amount of commission work for me. So I have to give him a shout out too.

Anyway I was lucky enough to pull a couple of Skaggs and NIKs from boxes. I never was able to come across a Pence like that, but I did buy two, one from the Spirit and another one from the Marilyn set. The B/W Monroe sketch is probably one of the best sketches done in that product. He really captured her in a torso profile pose.

Not trying to overshadow anyone, those were just the artists I really liked when I got into this side of the hobby. Smile

Picture of sittin9duck
posted Hide Post
A couple of my favourite sketches I got from the Blake's 7 set.

Sean Pence / Bob Stevlic

Posts: 301 | Location: redcar,UK | Registered: January 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
Hi folks- lots of nice art in here!

To date, I have 2 art cards in my collection, so I don't have much to talk about LOL. However, one of these cards I got as a gift from a Secret Santa back in 2007. I've been holding it until I can finally unite it with the Lord of the Rings series I've been wanting to get and am finally making some progress there. So here's what it looks like:

Front

Back

As you can see, it is a commissioned piece, oil paint on canvas sheet cut to card size. I've always been impressed with it. The artist is one Christine A. Robinson. I've been trying to find some information about the artist, but alas, nothing turns up. Judging but the quality, I really expected there to be more pieces out there, too.

I'm just wondering if anyone here might be familiar with this artist, or even have other artwork by her? I'd really like to know. Thanks for looking Smile

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There were some incredible sketches in that Indy set and in the first Lord of the Rings Masterpiece. Many were B/W or had minimal color, but they allow for so much more depth than the more popular color sketches. Those two look real good, I wish I could show you a few of the ones I have, but I never mastered scanning. Wink

posted Hide Post
@Raven,

Just take a photo! That's what I did. I don't actually own a scanner, but must get one!!

richo

Posts: 146 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Finally got a sketch commissioned from David Desbois whose work I have admired for years. Somehow the card is even better in person.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Holy-moley, that one is incredible, X!! Thumb Up

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post