Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Your Favourite Sketch Card
Page 1 ... 138 139 140 141
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favourite Sketch Card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about it today. McHaley's style sort of replicates the dappled sunlight shining through the leaves and branches of a tree but it's not just the effect of light and shadow. It's a creative use of color, as you said, so it's like sunlight through multi-colored stained glass. I realized I had seen McHaley's work before, a Bettie Page promo for a Versicolor set.

Yes, that's the Mulder I was talking about (gun up, strollers behind him). It has the look of a 60's-early 70's spy or sci-fi novel.

Yeah, I might commission a sketch at some point.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't know what you call McHaley's style but it is different - almost like a puzzle. Checked the links. I liked that "Mulder on the street" work. It reminded me of some 60's-70's paperback or album cover art.

While I was going through this thread, I checked on the availability of the sketches of some of the artists that seemed a cut above. Yeah, they were either expensive or more expensive. It would seem a commission is actually the best option. People say you have to get in line and there will be a wait but it's not as expensive as I thought, and hey, I collect cards so I'm used to waiting as I look for cards to complete sets.

Yes, I wouldn't get that Stewart sketch signed either.

As for Vader, it is hard to draw him because of all the angles in the mask and he has that chest plate and control panel. I entered a Star Wars poster contest at school back in 1978. Working with colored pencils, I did something like that Hildebrandt poster but with Vader prominent and background images more prominent and a white background. I wasn't happy with Vader and erased then redrew parts of him. I ended up winning 3rd prize which was a paperback novel. I was happy with that (still have the novel). Some other kid was talking to one of the judges. I happened to be standing behind the judge as the kid pointed out my eraser marks. The judge said something about the whole thing representing the movie. Yeah, kid, not bad for an 8th-grader with no art training. The other two posters were great.

Jess

I'm not sure how you would describe McHaley's style either. I'd just go with creative! Lots of geometric shapes within faces and unorthodox use of colour, no-one else does anything remotely similar.

I'm not sure which Mulder you mean (the one with him holding his gun up and the strollers behind him?), if so that is one of the covers he did for the X-Files IDW magazines which he also offered as prints.

I am not a big sketch collector, but it has been really enjoyable to commission some of these artists and give sincere compliments to people who's work I enjoy. It is nice to have some creative input on your own collection as well, by selecting images and having a dialogue with the artist.

...I got hold of some IDW X-Files sketch card blanks and had a phenomenal artist, who was not on the set, complete a commission of Scully from the revival season that had not aired when the cards were originally produced. It is a very special card to me, probably the best of my collection, and one of the best examples of this artists work across any topic, but one I unfortunately cannot share as that was a condition of the artist doing the work. But they were willing to stick their neck out for this fan of their work, and I am very grateful, and that adds to it too.

But it's usually not that complicated and well worth reaching out to the artists you like. Some even have blanks from years past that they never got round to doing anything with.

And who cares about pencil lines? Do that on a sketch card and it's an 'aftermarket'! Wink

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice sketch by Alex Mings from the Vampirella 50th Anniversary set (Dynamite, 2019). I saw it in Completed Listings some time ago. It seems like how Vampirella would look if Tanya Roberts or Cassandra Peterson played her.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh that's early Tanya Roberts for sure!

This may seem like a stupid comment to make, but it would be nice if all the Vampirella cards and sketches weren't designed basically the same. I know its the costume of the character and that's the attraction for fan boys, but its an extreme look that doesn't lend itself to say, grocery shopping or reading a book. It's hardly practical in the Winter, even for the undead. Big Grin

Over the years lots of comic characters and super heroes have had a make over in their outfits to fit the times. Why is Vampirella stuck with the same old out dated look? Razz

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

This may seem like a stupid comment to make, but it would be nice if all the Vampirella cards and sketches weren't designed basically the same. I know its the costume of the character and that's the attraction for fan boys, but its an extreme look that doesn't lend itself to say, grocery shopping or reading a book. It's hardly practical in the Winter, even for the undead. Big Grin

Over the years lots of comic characters and super heroes have had a make over in their outfits to fit the times. Why is Vampirella stuck with the same old out dated look? Razz
Forry Ackerman, who created the original character and comic book, probably wanted her to remain that way. Also, the undead don't feel the cold so clothes are never a concern Big Grin

While checking the spelling of Forry, I discovered that there was a Vampirella movie made way back in 1996.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118063

Interesting to note at the bottom of the wikipedia page on the subject, it says that:

'In 2021, Dynamite Entertainment announced a new feature film was in development, in addition to plans for television adaptations based on the Vampirella Universe'

So maybe her costume will get a makeover for this film and or TV series. Although if it goes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime, they will find ways to make it even more skimpy Big Grin I imagine it's a case of 'watch this space'.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
So maybe her costume will get a makeover for this film and or TV series. Although if it goes out on Netflix or Amazon Prime, they will find ways to make it even more skimpy Big Grin I imagine it's a case of 'watch this space'.

"Even more skimpy". Eek

I have a great line to follow that, but if I used it, Oh The Outrage. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
At one time Hammer Films were looking at a Vampirella movie with Caroline Munro to star but it never happened.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
At one time Hammer Films were looking at a Vampirella movie with Caroline Munro to star but it never happened.

Yeah, I could see where she would have made a decent choice back in the day.

A film or TV show now in 2021, I'm not sure anyone would try it unless they really go away from the source material. Then they will get big complaints about that, but if they retain the look, they will get even more complaints.

Plus live action isn't the same as drawings. Vampirella is a pin-up girl, that's been the sole purpose of the character. Having an actress strutting around in that outfit isn't nearly the same thing as what they could do with Wonder Woman. Vampirella true to form will play like camp, even if its not supposed to be camp, and it will be hard to maintain it for a whole film or show if it is camp.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
When I look at a number of Vampirella comics, photos, and sketches (for research purposes, of course), I see many of the sketches are personal takes of/homages to well-known artwork. You can say the artist is limited to some extent because she has to be a brunette and her outfit has to be the same but then she has to be one of those characters an artist would like to draw and pay homage to the past.

If another movie is made, you can bet that Vampirella's outfit will change because movies have done it with Wonder-Woman, Superman, and Spider-Man. It might be more of a form-fitting body suit in the appropriate colors with lower-heeled boots but they could do a scene for the fan boys where she appears at a costume party in the classic uniform and happens to strike a pose.

Hey Raven, I also saw the photo on which that sketch must have been based. The artist pretty much copied the pose (and the bat) but changed her face to give her more of a Tanya Roberts look.

Jess

quote:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the movie had been long-awaited. I don't remember it as a good movie. I think it was later released on VHS but not on DVD or it was a more limited DVD release so not everyone has seen it.

Vampirella's outfit is already pretty much a one-piece bikini and boots. How could it get skimpier? In that Wikipedia page, it was mentioned that Talisa Soto's costume was similar to but less revealing than the one in the comics.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:

Forry Ackerman, who created the original character and comic book, probably wanted her to remain that way. Also, the undead don't feel the cold so clothes are never a concern Big Grin

While checking the spelling of Forry, I discovered that there was a Vampirella movie made way back in 1996.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118063

Interesting to note at the bottom of the wikipedia page on the subject, it says that:

'In 2021, Dynamite Entertainment announced a new feature film was in development, in addition to plans for television adaptations based on the Vampirella Universe'

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I could give my opinion on what the movies do to super hero and superheroine's costumes, and what most artists do with themed sketch cards....

...but I won't.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a sketch card by the artist, Felix (aka Reinhard Horst). When you ordered either his first or second trading card set, you had the option of getting a sketch card with the set. You would send in a blank "original art" card inserted with the set plus $10 and then get the card back with a sketch on it.

I received the sketch card below when I bought the Felix II boxed factory set (9 clear acetate cards that came with two Toxic Babes promos (art by Oliver Wunsch) also printed on clear acetate stock. Felix (the nom de plume of Reinhard Horst) draws his sketches on a fold-out card. The scan shows the front, back, and interior sides of the fold-out with the sketch on the right.

The thing about Felix is that he was offering these sketches back in the mid-90's (Felix II came out in 1995) - back before sketch cards became a common thing. I don't have one of his sketches from back then but he is still honoring the sketch offer. You can request it up front now when you order a set through him. I ordered a Felix II set last month and just received the one below which he also dated. I like it.