Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Your Favourite Sketch Card
Page 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 141 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favourite Sketch Card
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I like those too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by raider5gt:
Heres my favourite sketch card(s) as i like them both.Enchantress packed pulled,Clonetrooper Sargent comission.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great work.

quote:
Originally posted by X:
I think I've finished gleaning a few decent cards I wanted for Indiana Jones Heritage...

I can't believe I have a John Watkins Chow, Cat Staggs and Killian Plunkett sketch (plus a decent Randy Martinez!) if this was Star Wars I don't think I'd have any cards to show you guys! I can't believe how reasonable some prices are for this set - its a nice breath of fresh air.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great sketch.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
My first ever sketch purchase.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
wow thats going back a bit, i still have it and very nice it is too. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Wolfie,

I've been going through this whole thread. There are a lot of lost links. I've been commenting on the ones that look great to me to get people looking at it all again and maybe reposting the photos or at least keeping some activity going on the board. Also, just because I didn't say anything about other sketches that remain visible, that doesn't mean I didn't like them. I'm no art critic, just reacting to those struck me as a great likeness or well-executed caricature.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
wow thats going back a bit, i still have it and very nice it is too. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those are great likenesses.

quote:
Originally posted by sittin9duck:
An awesome sketch Graham. I got a 4th Doctor from Charles Hall last month and this 3rd Doctor arrived today, both are stunning.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No sketch review would be complete without an Art de Bart.

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Horseshoe:
I have been after one of these sketch cards ever since I saw one on the Cards Inc Stall at Memorabilia about 12 years ago.

It may have cost an arm & a leg, but I am happy with it.

Dave.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I was fortunate enough to have Tone Rodriguez do these sketch cards for me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very nice sketches
These seem to be on the same stock and design cards that Inkworks used for their Case cards for wich there seems to be quiet a number of them for sale. Witch leads me to the Question of. If as you say you got these cards sketched for you by the artist Are the cards wich are being sold on other sites as case cards by Toni Rodrigues not Inkworks Case inserted cards but comissioned cards by the artist
I am not decrying your cards they are excellent but on seing these and i am on the verge of pulling the trigger on at least 5 different sketches on card described as Case Cards wich I have had on my watch list for quiet a while of this set makes me wonder wether the cards advertised are actually now Case Inserted cards , But comissions being sold as such.
I will now have to do more research.

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
These are not the same as the case loader sketch cards. For one, you can see the Inkworks name in the lower, left-hand corner of the front of the SDCC sketch cards.

Here is one of the case loader sketch cards (CL2):

Here is the back of the case loader sketch card:

The case loader sketch cards have "AVP" in the lower, left-hand corner of the front of the card. This is different than what is shown in the lower, left-hand corner of the front of the SDCC sketch card.

I'm fortunate that Tone Rodriguez is also the artist of the case loader sketch card, so it matches the SDCC sketch cards I had him do.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These were not the SDCC or WW sketch they were sketch cards being sold as Tone Rodriguez numbered case cards some coloured some black and white CL1
as there were no pictures of the back of the cards there were about 5 of them all different sketches by Tone Rrodriguez all numbered CL1.
Are the backs of yours numbered or blank
I cannot seem to be able to pull them up now i will keep trying

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing your theme, which is not uncommon in this thread, is women with, uh, long hair?

quote:
Originally posted by RupT:
An update with a gallery of my new collection of sketches i've started... hope you all like!! Can you guess my theme?

Here is a link to my new webpage...
http://www.darthtailor.co.uk/D....uk/My_Heroines.html
but I’ve also post all my collection below for you too see!!

First Up, RED

Jeremy Treece

Various Women of Marvel Sketches

Nik

Secret Invasion Sketch cover

Dane Ault

Romey Williamson

Pencil sketch Commission 8x10

Digital Colouring of above sketch 8x10

Irma Ahmed

Uko Smith

Thanh Bui

Jason Sobol

Mark Tannacore

Katie Cook

John Watkins-Chow

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That is a cool idea and well-executed.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
This is way cool:

I asked Rich Molinelli to do a tribute to the original Topps Star Wars wrapper, it may be hard to tell from the scan, but he put such incredible detail into this artwork, one of my all -time favorite cards. Thanks, Rich!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a great one for late night viewers who miss "Late Night with Craig Ferguson." I wonder where Geoff is now.

quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lizzy:
New fave
Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the first "Lovebunny and Mr. Hell" sketch I've ever seen.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

Hack/Slash "Lovebunny" AP from artist Amy Clark, nice! Thumb Up

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great pin-ups and portraits.

quote:
Originally posted by Triple-Frog:
I normally only collect sketches from official sets but picked these up off Ebay as I thought they looked great Smile .Top three are by Bianca Thompson and the bottom two are by Wu Wei.

Jessica Rabbit, Marvel Inhumans Medusa, Savage Land Rogue.

Eliza Dushku, Emilia Fox.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Even blurry, that looks like it must be a great-looking sketch of Vader from the scene in ESB when Solo get carbon-frozen.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
I like sketches, and sometimes buy individual ones, but rarely buy boxes of sketch focused product because it is just so hard to randomly pull a sketch that you would go out of your way to own. I don't consider myself a sketch collector, just appreciate certain ones.

This is my main issue with sketch sets and I do not understand how collectors so heavily invest in breaking such product (different story for dealers obviously). Art is SO subjective, no one collector can like everything they pull. You will inevitably end up disappointed with something. When I read of collectors who bust sketch card cases say how much they LOVE every sketch they pulled (when they all look completely different and are of a skill level most people would consider dreck) I can't but think they're just trying to justify having spent lots of money and got 'less' than if they'd just bought a couple of cards they really liked on the secondary market.

I agree on all counts that an official 'trading card' is far more desirable than a PSC or ACEO if the former is available. That said, the sad thing is that the quality of the work put into some licenced product is truly shocking. Some of the work collectors get commissioned can be truly phenomenal, I guess the artist being paid direct is a good incentive to turn out great work for a client who they KNOW will love the finished piece.

OK X, I really enjoyed your post and had to bust out laughing. So now all those sketch card collectors can rise up and say nasty things about both of us, but I do look at some of the sketches that people have raved about and I don't know if they talked themselves into believing it or if they are just blind. Big Grin Art is HIGHLY subjective. Smile

Anyway to your other point, there are many commissioned pieces that are outstanding and of course certain artists are in great demand. I have not tried to get one for a couple of years and I really hesitate to even approach one of these better known artists now. I don't know what they are charging and I would hate to back out after getting the estimate. Also there seems to be a long wait time if you do try for certain people. So since I don't really feel that strongly about it I tend not to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arrogant enough to assume or assert that my taste in art or sketch cards is the barometer by which all art must be judged, and I will happily accept, and be pleased for a collector, that likes something I do not. I wouldn't give you a tenner for a Katie Cooke sketch card, but boy she has her fans!

I only like certain kinds of art/artists, and so does the person who hates what I like. I am certain that no-one likes EVERYTHING. I don't see how that is possible. To like everything is the absence of having any taste at all, and that can't be accurate: we all have aesthetic preferences in every part of life, but particularly when it comes to artwork which is meant to be a fairly evocative and emotional experience.

This is my latest sketch which I bought not knowing who it was by (I have since found out it is by Joel Biske). I have wanted a nice colour Vader sketch card for years and it is, in fact, only my third colour Star Wars card ever. Going back to the original point, why bust case after case when I could just buy this for £25? I guess Biske is not a big name but I know I would not have got (what I consder) the same 'quality' or better out of every inserted sketch I may pull if I were brave, or crazy enough to bust boxes.

I get what you say about the feeling of effort that goes into reaching out to these artists and negotiating a 'job'. Still, I respect the effort and passion a fan must put in to carve out a unique collection for themselves, crafted to their individual tastes.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen Desbois' work before. That is a fantastic likeness and expression even when blurred by the incomplete link to Photobucket.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by X:
Finally got a sketch commissioned from David Desbois whose work I have admired for years. Somehow the card is even better in person.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

I missed your post. I just finished going through the whole thread and commenting on it. It was fun seeing what others truly appreciate. I'm not a sketch collector. Like you are with promos, I have just what has come to me randomly whether in a hobby box or what I got standing in line at the Dark Horse booth at SDCC.

I read your exchange with X about sketches and art in general. I don't know how anyone puts a value on a sketch either. You can look for something comparable in subject and style by the same artist but still be surprised. A piece might go quick, and the seller might think it was priced too low, or sit for weeks confounding the seller who knew the market and thought it was priced to sell.

Yes, the Shatner and the Nimoy look a little light and I figured it was the scan because pencil, particularly the lighter shades, does not come out well at less than a high resolution setting.

Jess

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Those are excellent likenesses of Shatner and Nimoy. I like the pencil/pen-type sketch as well as the full-color portrait type. In fact, I'd rather have one of these than a full-color work with less attention to detail unless the intention is to provide more of an impression than an exact likeness. That's the thing with art. It isn't always easy to express what is and what is not a good sketch to you. You just know it when you see it.

Hi Jess,

I've always been very fond of black and white pen or pencil sketches when they are done well. Usually they are not done well, basically just outlines looking like they should be colored in. Big Grin

When they are done right, the detail and shading from pencils or pens can show things that are just lost when its painted over. But like I said, most artists either don't take the time and are just fulfilling a number commitment or aren't good enough at it. No question a full color sketch will always have more public demand, even over superior B/W ones.

I very much like the Batman/Scarecrow two part, but not so much the Shatner and Nimoy ones. It may be the scan, but the penciling seems on the light side and the background is big and mainly unused. As you say, art is so subjective. It's actually impossible to price sketch cards and that's why a lot of the time its driven by artist name recognition. I have seen beautiful ACEOs for under $20 that can't sell and some mediocre sketches from known artists get gobbled up for hundreds. Just like in the larger art world I guess. Wink[/QUOTE]

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My idea of a sketch is a mono drawing done in a minute .
These are art work to me but some of them are awesome.
Congrats