Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Your Favourite Sketch Card
Page 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favourite Sketch Card
 Login/Join

Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Jack Torrance from "The Shining" by MilkBone Jones. Does anyone have any information about the artist? I bought the card on eBay a couple of years back. Anyway, he/she is pretty good.

Jack Nicholson

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a scan of my 2 favourite sketch cards from the new ufo card set

Posts: 757 | Location: london england | Registered: March 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
Jack Torrance from "The Shining" by MilkBone Jones. Does anyone have any information about the artist? I bought the card on eBay a couple of years back. Anyway, he/she is pretty good.

Jack Nicholson

Sorry, don't know about the artist but that is a phenomenal sketch. The Shining is one of my all time favourite films. Funnily enough I tuned the settings on my first HD tv/blu-ray to that EXACT image on your card where you see he is losing his mind as he stares out the window. Love it. Very jealous!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Thanks. This is the only sketch card that I own. I feel kinda bad for the artist as it only sold for 20 bucks. It should've sold for way more.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
Thanks. This is the only sketch card that I own. I feel kinda bad for the artist as it only sold for 20 bucks. It should've sold for way more.

Very good likeness. One thing I feel I can say is that sketch card prices should not be confused with the quality of the work. If a sketch card is released in a licensed set, it has an automatic value. If the artist is well known and has a reputation, that adds more value. If the subject of the sketch is deemed important, more value. Finally we get around to what it actually looks like and then based on subjective taste, it finds its value on the sliding scale.

There are probably 1000s of ACEO sketches available for sale that are of similar quality to the licensed sketch card. Many are far superior than the average sketch you might pull from a product. However they are not licensed and the artist is likely no one you know. So they can be had for $20 because the supply is great and the demand is low. Doesn't change the quality of the artwork though. Congrats on a great choice.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sw-cards-n-bricks ~ Andrew
posted Hide Post
Favourites, so hard to choose, i particularly like these 2 sketches
The artwork evokes such emotion

Artist : John Haun

Artist : Ingrid Hardy

Posts: 51 | Location: Australia | Registered: December 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those are excellent likenesses of Shatner and Nimoy. I like the pencil/pen-type sketch as well as the full-color portrait type. In fact, I'd rather have one of these than a full-color work with less attention to detail unless the intention is to provide more of an impression than an exact likeness. That's the thing with art. It isn't always easy to express what is and what is not a good sketch to you. You just know it when you see it.

quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:
Did a little scanning of older stuff I had; enjoy -

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hope that 2-card combo and the extra sketch are being displayed together. Great work.

Jess

quote:
They here; They here!!

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Great sketch. It covers an important time on the show on two levels: Picard's personal battle with the Borg and the wider war involving multiple civilizations. It's like a mini-movie poster.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Here is a sketch card that i just got. It is a colour sketch from star trek by Patrick Hamill.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Those are excellent likenesses of Shatner and Nimoy. I like the pencil/pen-type sketch as well as the full-color portrait type. In fact, I'd rather have one of these than a full-color work with less attention to detail unless the intention is to provide more of an impression than an exact likeness. That's the thing with art. It isn't always easy to express what is and what is not a good sketch to you. You just know it when you see it.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Jess,

I've always been very fond of black and white pen or pencil sketches when they are done well. Usually they are not done well, basically just outlines looking like they should be colored in. Big Grin

When they are done right, the detail and shading from pencils or pens can show things that are just lost when its painted over. But like I said, most artists either don't take the time and are just fulfilling a number commitment or aren't good enough at it. No question a full color sketch will always have more public demand, even over superior B/W ones.

I very much like the Batman/Scarecrow two part, but not so much the Shatner and Nimoy ones. It may be the scan, but the penciling seems on the light side and the background is big and mainly unused. As you say, art is so subjective. It's actually impossible to price sketch cards and that's why a lot of the time its driven by artist name recognition. I have seen beautiful ACEOs for under $20 that can't sell and some mediocre sketches from known artists get gobbled up for hundreds. Just like in the larger art world I guess. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's fantastic work, a masterpiece of shading that captures a character.

quote:
Originally posted by Rita:
Not sure how to begin this post ... An initial Eek Eek of surprise followed by Clap Clap with a few Dance Dance and a Elephant for good measure ...
Basically, I want to convey my initial surprise followed by sheer joy at receiving this little gem through the post.

Just when we thought that the NSU Card Talk Sketch Card Contest had quietly closed it's doors for the year, how wrong we were ... having already gone that extra mile to make the contest a really fun one to participate in, Mr Slackjawedyokel decided to go even further and award 5 additional "surprise" winners, of which I am one...and I can assure you that I am most surprised and of course, really pleased.

It's a pencil sketch by Cat Staggs based on one of the sketches I did for the contest, Thade from Planet of the Apes...it's awesome and I'm still pinching myself.

My thanks to Cat Staggs for such a great drawing, but most of all to you Peter for all the effort you put in (and your kind words).

Here's the pic...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That one is great too.

quote:
Just got back from AFRICA - & look what was in my mail box:

THANKS JOE!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi X,

The Photobucket logo blocks some of the Connery sketch but what I can see tells me it's a well-executed likeness of an early Bond.

Yes, the Brosnan is more of a caricature but it is also well-done. It's like an out-of-focus shot of him moving. It's just as real in that way. Some will prefer the more photorealistic style over an impression but I would agree that a good sketch collection would have a mix of styles. To each his own.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by X:
This wonderful looking Connery (in Goldfinger) arrived this morning, care of the very talented Randy Martinez. And I thought the Brosnan looked good... Eek

But now the question is; for Lazenby, Moore, Dalton & Craig do I have them charicature or life-life? I love both styles.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's cool. I'm glad it got relinked. I hope more of the lost are restored.

quote:
Originally posted by SeanPatrickPence:
Hey guys!! Wavey Thanks so much for the kind words regarding the personal sketch cards I did for comicbookfan! It was awesome to do some work for her and I'm psyched she liked the cards! (Looks like her pics got eaten by the red x monsters so I'll repost) Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice. That is a cool bonus.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

Just got this awesome commission from Renae De Liz, and how cool is the thank you she sent along with it! Thanks again, Renae! Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, those are great. You might get an argument out of me about the best Bond but that's a whole other thread - will say the first one I remember is Roger Moore. We went to see "Live and Let Die" at the drive-in. He seemed too young in that one but he'd grown into the role by "The Spy Who Loved Me," which might be my favorite. My stepdad always said the only real Bond was Connery. Moore was "The Saint."

Bond girls will be debated long after we're gone.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by X:
My two latest commissions from the fantastic Randy Martinez...

I've been waiting to get these done for ages and boy are they great! My favourite Bond & my favourite Bond girl from my favourite Bond film GoldenEye. Big Grin

I'm loving the Janssen... Drool

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a nice group.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Very cool Balde sketches! Here are a few recent additions to my sketch collection, including an awesome sketch from Warren. The others are Marvel Girl from the great Kate Bradley, Enchantress from the talented John Watkins Chow, and a Spider-Man 3 sample oversized card from the incredible Sean Pence. An awesome experience with all these artists, get some commissions from them for your collection!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Only the Han Solo survives. You know it's a great sketch when you can identify the scene in the movie it's based on (Han and Luke saying goodbye just before the Imperial attack on Hoth).

quote:
Originally posted by X:
These arrived in the post this morning, the Han Solo couldn't be any better! Metal

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those are great likenesses.

quote:
Originally posted by SciFiMom:
New arrivals this week from Allison Sohn. Big Grin

Number Six from BSG

Zoe from Firefly

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's a great Mr Freeze sketch.

quote:
Originally posted by X:
This arrived yesterday and is the first official sketch card I've bought since ROTS. I'm not a massive sketch card fan but I've always been a big Batman fan and when I saw this card I just had to have it...

There is just so much going on in this sketch and I find it really impressive that despite doing nearly 500 cards Price could still put in this much detail. Cool