Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    Your Favourite Sketch Card
Page 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favourite Sketch Card
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jess,

Backtracking over 139 pages is heavy lifting. Guess being stuck at home in CA will do that to you. Wink

Yeah, I like to talk about sketches, but its a really tough market and I don't like to sink much money into it when I prefer autographs for some unknown reason. The sketches I like the most are character driven ones with actor likenesses, not comic character drawings. There is usually a license issue with those that may require actor/studio approval, so really good ones can be out of my price range, but I have bought ACEOs if I really liked a particular character.

To be honest, without the license an ACEO will never be worth much more than the artist's fee unless he/she makes a name sometime, but that's fine by me as long as I appreciate the sketch. Artists are very much like musicians in that a lot of talented people have the skill to go professional, but only a small percentage can make a living at it and its not always the best that succeed.

Of course I'm still waiting for someone to explain Picasso to me. I like the pretty colors, but the guy can't draw for . . . . Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's how I think of a sketch too. For some it's an early idea for a separate work to be fully developed later. For others it is the work and there is great skill to it on its own. I remember watching the Dark Horse artists as they did their sketches on the backs of the signing cards and other items they were signing. They worked so fast and yet it wasn't sloppy. They were efficient while creating something extra for you and you could see them concentrating on what they were doing. It was very generous of them. I still have all the ones they gave me.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
My idea of a sketch is a mono drawing done in a minute .
These are art work to me but some of them are awesome.
Congrats

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
][IMG]

Got this Veronica O'Connell Masterpiece from a very good friend - I think it is FANTASTIC

I still love this card

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Birthday present from a VERY good friend - Cheers Mate
[URL=

This is still a firm favourite too

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

Yeah, you look for things to do when you're home in this situation. This is Day 7 of Shelter-in-place for this county. I might actually go back to reorganizing some cards.

An autograph is something that was actually made by the celebrity you like. There's one degree of separation and it's an official, certified part of a card set. A clean, mostly legible signature is a bonus.

A sketch is far removed from the celebrity but a good likeness might feel like just a degree away to the collector who wants more than whatever artistry you can see in an autograph.

With sketches and certified autographs you might get lucky and find something under-priced relative to the market but you're not going to find any for a buck or two. I don't know the average price for what would be widely-considered as a nice sketch but I assume a commission runs over $100 and maybe $300 depending on what you want. That sounds like heavy-lifting to me, but then again, if you're getting exactly what you want, it's worth it to you. It's better than buying a $100-200 hobby box and getting a sketch you wouldn't have paid $40 for. You already know what that feels like.

Yeah, forget about watching your cards grow in value. In most cases we're all buying high with just about everything new. If it happens, great, but are you really going to cash in anything you really like anyway? Maybe years in the future, you'll feel like you can let go of some things or everything, but until then enjoy your stuff.

Yes, there are lots of talented singers and guitar players but most can't make more money doing that than if they worked at a grocery store.

It's funny that you mention Picasso. He did a lot of sketches that he gave away and they still go for good money.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Hey Jess,

Backtracking over 139 pages is heavy lifting. Guess being stuck at home in CA will do that to you. Wink

Yeah, I like to talk about sketches, but its a really tough market and I don't like to sink much money into it when I prefer autographs for some unknown reason. The sketches I like the most are character driven ones with actor likenesses, not comic character drawings. There is usually a license issue with those that may require actor/studio approval, so really good ones can be out of my price range, but I have bought ACEOs if I really liked a particular character.

To be honest, without the license an ACEO will never be worth much more than the artist's fee unless he/she makes a name sometime, but that's fine by me as long as I appreciate the sketch. Artists are very much like musicians in that a lot of talented people have the skill to go professional, but only a small percentage can make a living at it and its not always the best that succeed.

Of course I'm still waiting for someone to explain Picasso to me. I like the pretty colors, but the guy can't draw for . . . . Big Grin

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I don't know the average price for what would be widely-considered as a nice sketch but I assume a commission runs over $100 and maybe $300 depending on what you want.
Jess

It's been over ten years since I asked for commissioned sketches, but they went for only $20 - $25 from artists that did work on TOPPS products. The going rate probably went up since then, but I don't think as high as you might expect. Of course I'm not talking about any "hot name" artist, just people who will give you a nice sketch of a character you want. You first have to check out their style to see if it pleases you and then give them a hint of what you want, preferably a scene reference. It's always a bit of a gamble, but personal artwork has an appeal all it's own when you like it.

Most artists private commission more cheaply than you might think. The sketches in product are worth more because they are licensed. Artist Returns sell well because they are generally better quality and are still on licensed stock. Commissions are not licensed, but will pay considerably better for an average artist than what a card company will pay per drawing. Periodically you still hear how little artists actually get to create that premium hit that drives sketch products and mixed hit products.

The only thing is to be careful about paying to much upfront on your first dealings with any one artist. Some have a backlog and some can't get started and you don't want to pay for a commission that never seems to get done. Most artists are very reputable, but a couple of bad apples etc.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Hammer,

That is a fantastic sketch. It appears there's a show I should be watching.

Jess

quote:
quote:
][IMG]

Got this Veronica O'Connell Masterpiece from a very good friend - I think it is FANTASTIC

I still love this card

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Seeing as people have taken the trouble to go through this old, once very busy thread, I agree it is a shame that Photobucket has laid waste to so much great content from members of NSU. Below is pretty much my entire sketch collection. Not as vast as many collectors' to be sure, as sketches have never been a great focus of mine, but it is nice to have some pieces of original art on trading cards.

JAMES BOND - PSCs
Randy Martinez / Pierce Brosnan (Die Another Day) caricature he did for me at a UK convention
Randy Martinez / Pierce Brosnan (GoldenEye) commission
Randy Martinez / Famke Janssen (GoldenEye) commission

DC LEGACY - Rittenhouse
Jeff Welbourn / The Joker
Mark Dos Santos / Two-Face
Andy Price / Mr. Freeze

INDIANA JONES HERITAGE - Topps
John Watkins-Chow / Henry Jones
Randy Martinez / Henry Jones
Cat Staggs / Henry Jones
Kilian Plunkett / Toht
Mark McHaley / Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom)

STAR TREK: TNG - Rittenhouse Archives
Chris Bolson / Enterprise-D
Warren Martineck / Enterprise D vs. Borg Cube

THE X-FILES - IDW
All Artist Proofs were commissions...
Artist Proof: Joe Corroney / Scully (Corroney had pre-drawn all of his APs so no input was possible)
Artist Proof: Tim Proctor / Scully (OK to work with, not 100% pleased with the results for the money)
Artist Proof: Miran Kim / Scully (really pleasant to deal with, an important name in X-Files artwork)
Artist Proof: Charles Hall / Mulder & Scully (good artist but this commission was bit like pulling teeth)

Artist Proof: Dan Harding / Cigarette-Smoking Man (REALLY great to work with, the only artist who provided a prelim sketch without asking, even included a signed copy of the IDW X-Files Sketch Magazine which I had actually been trying to get hold of at the time)
Blue Label: Dan Harding / Flukeman (doubling up on the artist front but was an iconic 'monster of the week')
Red Label: Richard Cox / Black Oil (bought instead of an AP because his agent said he was 'too busy' for commissions)
Artist Proof: Chris Mason / Mulder & Scully puzzle (really pleasant and friendly artist)

ALIEN ANTHOLOGY - Upper Deck
Alien: Justin Castaneda / Kane & Chestburster
Alien3: Ron Tan / Dog Alien
Alien Resurrection: George Vega / Aqua Alien

STAR WARS - Topps
SW Heritage: Randy Martinez / Han Solo (Aftermarket card - was originally a pencil Bib Fortuna), like my Bond commissions, Randy was always super friendly and very professional
SW High Tek: Sol Mohamed / Darth Vader (Artist Return)
SW The Force Awakens Series 2: Robert Teranishi / Kylo Ren
SW Journey to The Force Awakens: Robert Hendrickson / Boba Fett

SW The Empire Strikes Back 3D: Robert Teranishi / Emperor, Han in Carbonite, Milennium Falcon, Luke in Wampa Cave
SW ESB Illustrated: Joel Biske / Darth Vader

And probably my 3 favourites...

I always wanted a colour Mark McHaley sketch since seeing his work on Indiana Jones Heritage and subsequent Star Wars sets. Nobody uses colour and lines like he does. His work always strikes me as creative and imaginative. This Artist Proof was my first X-Files sketch card and McHaley was great to work with on this commission. Maybe my favourite sketch card artist. Many have complained of his lack of communication and not coming through on work. I can only report the complete opposite. Completion time-frame was open ended but he turned it round in 8 months. Communication was good/what I needed and he would check in rather than me having to chase. I just left him to do his thing. Mark even kindly included a set of X-Files prints he was selling on his website FOC. Great card and experience all round.

Along with McHaley, David Desbois is right up there for me - I have always enjoyed his work and he seems universally popular, and it is easy to see why. People should check out his Deviant Art page for hundreds of stunning sketch cards he has done over the years: Desbois has an uncanny ability to nail likenesses. I much prefer 'official' sketch cards but seeing as he is yet to work on Trek I will happily make do with my PSC of Picard at the battle of Sector 001 in First Contact. A very communicative artist despite being busy, who was happy to take and make suggestions on the commission.

Finally, is my latest sketch card purchase, and a piece more akin to a real 'sketch'. I have wanted a Russell Walks card since Star Wars Heritage in 2004, he is one of my absolute favourite licenced Star Wars artists. It amazes me how he can capture a likeness with so little. When I saw this one last month on eBay for BIN $66 (an appropriate number for this film!), I had to jump on it. No better character for this particular set either IMO. Many years ago this would have been a couple hundred $ all day long, but thankfully the bottom has fallen out of the sketch card market and I could snag this forgotten gem.

It would be great if more collectors shared some images. I have just done all these through Imgur and found it much easier than Photobucket was.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
What!?! No She Hulk?

Seriously, nice sketches.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
X,

It's great to see that last Vader and Picard unblurred and all your stuff in one post. That last Scully is the best one I've seen of her.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For some reason I have time on my hands at the moment Roll Eyes so I have been looking through my collection of way too many sketches for any I might not have posted anywhere . So far found these which I pretty sure have not been posted on any forums.

The first four from the original Nevermore Alice set are all ones I obtained direct from Kevin Munroe ( 2 single and 2 dual ) .

Not sure where I got this Elfie Lebouleux Nevermore Alice sketch.

These four cards are from the Cult Stuff Contemporary Erotica set. I was fortunate enough to meet Huy Truong at a Memorabilia show at the NEC a few years ago and he mentioned he had some cards from this set for sale. He sent me pics and I selected some and then got him to do a few more for me .

These are the only ones that I can show on this forum , the rest contain nudity . The only person who has seen all of them other than me and Huy is Wolfie who got to see them when we met at a pub for a few beers Smile , sadly something not possible at the moment Frown . Happy memories !

Still got lots of folders to go through , wonder what else I will find Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I like Huy Truong's style.
Here is my one and only sketch card from him along with a couple more of my MANY favorites from my collection. As you can see, I only like realistic images:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize how difficult it must be for some artists to draw clothes. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In a sketch some elements of a character may be minimized as her essence is fleshed out.

quote:
I didn't realize how difficult it must be for some artists to draw clothes. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
In a sketch some elements of a character may be minimized as her essence is fleshed out.

quote:

Sure, but why is always "her essence"? What about some "his essence"? Wink Wavey

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the cat would tell you that's a whole other Kickstarter.

quote:
quote:

quote:

Sure, but why is always "her essence"? What about some "his essence"? Wink Wavey

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the cat would tell you that's a whole other Kickstarter.

[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's just that most artists are male and even more card collectors are male. They all know what sells. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
X,

It's great to see that last Vader and Picard unblurred and all your stuff in one post. That last Scully is the best one I've seen of her.

Jess

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the kind words Jess. I like my McHaley Scully A LOT. He even titles some of his commissions. Mine was 'Skeptical Scully'.

He did an awesome artist proof of Mulder for another collector:
https://www.deviantart.com/mar...Fox-Mulder-491523967

And another great Mulder AP called 'FBI Hair'!
https://www.deviantart.com/mar...t/FBI-Hair-555259130

Vader is a common character on sketch cards but I find he is one very hard to capture right due to all the angles and shapes involved. Biske nailed it I think.

McHaley and Desbois always turn out excellent work.
The Picard was done with a fade-out at the bottom to accommodate a signature from Stewart should he turn up at a convention. He hasn't done one in the UK for 5+ years now and I think the card works equally well as it is, so I will probably leave it.

Again, Desbois' DeviantArt page gallery is well worth a look. He is amazingly talented. Check this out for a Catwoman/Pfeiffer PSC Eek
https://www.deviantart.com/dav...7029320%3A4509967584

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you call McHaley's style but it is different - almost like a puzzle. Checked the links. I liked that "Mulder on the street" work. It reminded me of some 60's-70's paperback or album cover art.

While I was going through this thread, I checked on the availability of the sketches of some of the artists that seemed a cut above. Yeah, they were either expensive or more expensive. It would seem a commission is actually the best option. People say you have to get in line and there will be a wait but it's not as expensive as I thought, and hey, I collect cards so I'm used to waiting as I look for cards to complete sets.

Yes, I wouldn't get that Stewart sketch signed either.

As for Vader, it is hard to draw him because of all the angles in the mask and he has that chest plate and control panel. I entered a Star Wars poster contest at school back in 1978. Working with colored pencils, I did something like that Hildebrandt poster but with Vader prominent and background images more prominent and a white background. I wasn't happy with Vader and erased then redrew parts of him. I ended up winning 3rd prize which was a paperback novel. I was happy with that (still have the novel). Some other kid was talking to one of the judges. I happened to be standing behind the judge as the kid pointed out my eraser marks. The judge said something about the whole thing representing the movie. Yeah, kid, not bad for an 8th-grader with no art training. The other two posters were great.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
X,

Jess

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the kind words Jess. I like my McHaley Scully A LOT. He even titles some of his commissions. Mine was 'Skeptical Scully'.

He did an awesome artist proof of Mulder for another collector:
https://www.deviantart.com/mar...Fox-Mulder-491523967

And another great Mulder AP called 'FBI Hair'!
https://www.deviantart.com/mar...t/FBI-Hair-555259130

Vader is a common character on sketch cards but I find he is one very hard to capture right due to all the angles and shapes involved. Biske nailed it I think.

McHaley and Desbois always turn out excellent work.
The Picard was done with a fade-out at the bottom to accommodate a signature from Stewart should he turn up at a convention. He hasn't done one in the UK for 5+ years now and I think the card works equally well as it is, so I will probably leave it.

Again, Desbois' DeviantArt page gallery is well worth a look. He is amazingly talented. Check this out for a Catwoman/Pfeiffer PSC Eek
https://www.deviantart.com/dav...7029320%3A4509967584

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know what you call McHaley's style but it is different - almost like a puzzle. Checked the links. I liked that "Mulder on the street" work. It reminded me of some 60's-70's paperback or album cover art.

While I was going through this thread, I checked on the availability of the sketches of some of the artists that seemed a cut above. Yeah, they were either expensive or more expensive. It would seem a commission is actually the best option. People say you have to get in line and there will be a wait but it's not as expensive as I thought, and hey, I collect cards so I'm used to waiting as I look for cards to complete sets.

Yes, I wouldn't get that Stewart sketch signed either.

As for Vader, it is hard to draw him because of all the angles in the mask and he has that chest plate and control panel. I entered a Star Wars poster contest at school back in 1978. Working with colored pencils, I did something like that Hildebrandt poster but with Vader prominent and background images more prominent and a white background. I wasn't happy with Vader and erased then redrew parts of him. I ended up winning 3rd prize which was a paperback novel. I was happy with that (still have the novel). Some other kid was talking to one of the judges. I happened to be standing behind the judge as the kid pointed out my eraser marks. The judge said something about the whole thing representing the movie. Yeah, kid, not bad for an 8th-grader with no art training. The other two posters were great.

Jess

I'm not sure how you would describe McHaley's style either. I'd just go with creative! Lots of geometric shapes within faces and unorthodox use of colour, no-one else does anything remotely similar.

I'm not sure which Mulder you mean (the one with him holding his gun up and the strollers behind him?), if so that is one of the covers he did for the X-Files IDW magazines which he also offered as prints.

I am not a big sketch collector, but it has been really enjoyable to commission some of these artists and give sincere compliments to people who's work I enjoy. It is nice to have some creative input on your own collection as well, by selecting images and having a dialogue with the artist.

...I got hold of some IDW X-Files sketch card blanks and had a phenomenal artist, who was not on the set, complete a commission of Scully from the revival season that had not aired when the cards were originally produced. It is a very special card to me, probably the best of my collection, and one of the best examples of this artists work across any topic, but one I unfortunately cannot share as that was a condition of the artist doing the work. But they were willing to stick their neck out for this fan of their work, and I am very grateful, and that adds to it too.

But it's usually not that complicated and well worth reaching out to the artists you like. Some even have blanks from years past that they never got round to doing anything with.

And who cares about pencil lines? Do that on a sketch card and it's an 'aftermarket'! Wink