Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    good stories you're friends don't get
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

good stories you're friends don't get
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, the "great site" thread was getting long and what better way to get new people to post than by letting them brag about great pulls, bad luck, "abomination" cards, the cards they REALLY want to see (come on, make a RESIDENT EVIL Milla Jovovich auto card...) or just great stories that non-collectors don't get. For anyone who pulled a pieceworks redemption card and the Gillian Anderson auto in the same pack--but dinged the corners when they passed out from shock, or had great luck at a yard sale because people didn't know what they had (and you really scammed the widow...!) this is your chance. (I wonder how many people actually read these posts...) Share your stories people! I'll put mine on later if this gets any interest...unfortunately my luck isn't so good, and you'll probably be laughing at me and not with me...--chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
Great idea! C'mon, Juniors, newbies and 'quiet' members! Let us know the cards you found that made you certain that you had made the right decision in picking Non-Sport cards as your hobby of choice! I promise faithfully not to boast about my finds in this thread!
Au Res.,
Paul

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
My luck is not too great. But I probably would never have started collecting BTVS or Angel cards the way that I do, if in the first pack I ever bought (at our local store's new location) had not been a Juliet Landau auto and in the 2nd pack a Kristine Sutherland auto. Now I buy whole cases of the cards and trade and do ebay to complete my sets. It also got me started collecting other Angel and BTVS memorabilia.
But like I said my luck is usually not the greatest, in one instance I opened 4 boxes and got no autos! frown But luckily I have great friends to buy and trade with.

Kristy

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of MikeFitz
posted Hide Post
When I first started buying cards, the only insert I could count on was a piece of stale gum!
However, I did have an interesting get one day, when, upon opening a pack of Civil War News cards, I found 5 checklists! Of course, at the time, I thought I was being ripped off something fierce. So, of course, I shrugged, gave one to my brother, I already had one, and stuck the rest in my bicycle spokes.

Posts: 1457 | Location: New England | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well I have to say that I am not a very lucky person as far as everything goes. The reason I got into movie cards is with out any question the brother-in-law. He was always telling to look for auto's. Well I decided to try it for the first time with lord of the rings. On the first 6 packs I bought I pulled a merry auto. Well I was happy that I got one, so I checked e-bay to see what it was going for.I was really disapointed when I did not see one up there. I belived I had got a crap auto, so I just left it on top of the computer desk.It sat there getting moved around for over a week, that is when I found out that a guy should read the back of the pack of cards.Well that is my little story. Would just like to add that I am glad that the brother also showed me this site.I am new to it but already a person has taken the chance on tradeing with me.
Great site
Thanks Tony

Posts: 8 | Location: NE, USA | Registered: January 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never would have gotten into collecting non-sports cards if it wasn't for a penpal in Belgium sending me Xena cards. That lead to Buffy, Angel...read current non-sports junkie (especially where costume cards are concerned). I didn't even know that these cards were out there. Not having anyone to trade with led me to ebay where I discovered that I had most of those Charlie's Angels cards as a kid. Of course the stickers got stuck everywhere and I have no idea what eventually happened to the cards. I do still have all of my hockey cards in a shoe box though...

Sam

Posts: 94 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, as promised here are some of my card story oddities...

Worst box ever?: cracked Buffy 2 and got no auto, no rare insert, 3 love bites cards (all the same) and was missing 12 cards for the base set!

Worst streak: Cracked 4 boxes (all Buffy products)none of which had the guaranteed set. I figured inkworks would stop believing me and quit writing complaints! (still need a Buffy Reflections commn #4--have 2 love bites #B6 to trade!)--ended streak with Rittenhouse Archives TZ 1st series box, which had full basic set, 1 common auto (2 stated on box!) and an apology letter stating "due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, autograph card A15 (Elizabeth Allen) could not be included in this Twilight Zone series, or in the autograph challenge. We regret any inconvenience. Sincerely, Steven Charendoff, President Rittenhouse Archives"--and you guys complained about paying postage on redemptions...suddenly redemptions looked pretty good...(and why do I keep this crap?!) This actually led me to switch briefly to only collecting hockey cards--promptly came back to N/S, bought a box of Be A Player (one auto a pack) there was only 1 auto in the whole box. Suddenly a second box of Twilight Zone looked pretty good...(strangely the retailer has called me "Lucky" ever since).

Best streak: 3 box purchase Buffy 4, 5, Angel 2--got an auto in each box and 2 of the 1:3boxes cards.

Plain stupidity: Was paying $120 Cdn/box (about $75 US) for Sabrina trying to pull the MJ Hart auto--which consistently e-bay'd at the time for around $50 US! D'oh! (Glad I didn't take the whole case...!)

More later maybe...--chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dune
posted Hide Post
My luckiest thing so far (this will sound sad) was that I managed to get my BTVS promo card of the front of the BTVS magazine without ripping it...and feat not many people have managed to do as they taped them to the cover... My luck sucks though, I buy packs and packs and never even get any slightly rare ones, just the commen ones...
Dune

Posts: 330 | Location: North East England | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Buffy
posted Hide Post
I have probably spent far more money on boxes than what I've managed to pull autos for, but it sorts of take the fun out of it to just buy them from a dealer smile
The set that I've had most luck with was Angel season 2. Bought 3 boxes and pulled autos from all three; A7, A8 and DA1!!

Did also just pull Christopher Lee's auto from a Lord of the Rings retail box. Couldn't believe my luck!!!!
(Kept a record over what cards I pulled from which packs, and the weird thing was that in both the boxes that I bought the chase cards was in pack #3&4, 7&8, 15&16 and 19&20. Anyone else who has noticed this/something similar?)

Posts: 313 | Location: Norway | Registered: April 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Buffy:

--- My inserts from Lord of the Ring (hobby) were in packs 3,9,15,18 on the upper stack and packs 3,9,13,15 on the lower stack.

Watcher

Posts: 500 | Location: City, State, Country | Registered: June 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robwaddle
posted Hide Post
hi folks,

this is a v. interesting subject. my brother has been collecting for years. i never took much interest until i heard about Lord of The Rings trading cards. i've now got the bug pretty bad.

i've managed to pull 2 autographs from the same LOTR hobby box a couple of times. (Pick 5 or 10 packs from a fresh box). The best place seems to be in the back 18, about two thirds of the way down.

that's the good news! the bad news is, i bought 3 retail boxes (1 from a UK dealer, & 2 from seperate ebay auctions) - not even a hint of an auto!! there's no way i'm paying the ebay prices and (allegedly) the whole lot is sold out - so i suppose i'll have to go without.

all the best

rob

Posts: 372 | Location: UK | Registered: February 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I got into non-sports because the sports scene was getting out of control. With so many products out there I decided to narrow my focus to authenticated autographs (sports and non)and non-sports sets. Also Non-Sports is where I started as a kid. I still have my blue 1977 almost completed Star Wars set with some stickers. Also the 1979 Alien set and the first Empire Strikes Back set. I have the original Battlestar Galactica set complete with stickers as well. It is something I enjoy while at the same time try to aquire a limited piece of entertainment history through autographs and costume cards.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
MyKDude,

Noticing where you are from, I thought I would mention I do want to add the Elvis costume card from the Topps American Pie set to my collection! I have always been (and still am) a big Elvis fan.

Mike....

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I am not from here...I am currently the local Navy Recruiter. I am about to transfer overseas in about 6 months. However I did buy two boxes of American pie and I like my Elvis Jacket card very much. I also have the Senatra jacket and the Berlin Wall. The only one I am still trying to get is the Janis Joplin card. The Elvis card has come waaaayyy down on ebay. American Pie two will have his army shirt, a George Burns piece and a Marilyn Monroe dress which looks very nice.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend i managed to buy some very cheap Roswell and Charmed boxes.
I purchased two boxes of charmed in hope of getting the few chase cards i had left (as sadly i don't see charmed chase cards around much).
Not only did i manage to pull all the missing chase cards, plus the spirit board card (which i had talked myself into saying wasn't essential to my collection...)
i also pulled Shannen Dohertys redemption card! Sadly it has expired, but I emailed the good people at inkworks and they are still redeeming the cards!
Needles to say I am very, very chuffed smile

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Luckily my good luck out ways my bad luck slightly.My good stories are as follows...

1)I was searching ebay for Marvel sketchagraphs(my fave collecting) a couple of years back.I decided to check one of the sellers home page,and they had the Rita Escobar redemption for sale @$35.I had not seen the movie(Wild Wild West) yet.So I emailed them to see if it was the Salm Hayek auto,they replied I don't but it is for A15.I checked around and it was Salma.She is still with me.I mailed them my MO to Canada.The day NSU was released it guided the auto for $150.The seller replied and told me this and she said a deal is a deal and mentioned it was a hard lesson to learn.

2)When ST TNG 7 was to be released I was at my local comic shop and they had almost a 1/2 box of Trek cards,I bought them all thinking it was TNG 7.Well I got in my car and it was not TNG 7,but TOS 3.I got a little upset because I already purchased 2-3 boxes with nothing but very low level commons.Well I opened the packs,and second to last pack A61(Spock) and threw it aside thinking hey I KNOW that character.

3)I traded for a ST 35th Ann box.
I pulled the Spock(CC2) costume as well as the Balock's Puppet sketchafex which in the same pack was a low-level auto.

4)From buying 3-4 packs of the Superman Man of Steel cards I pulled the skydisc.

5)When Spider-Man '97 first came out I bought 2 packs and pulled a Beetle/Buscema sketchagraph

6)My best one sided trade in my favor was...
A trader was looking for Insurrection auto A6(McFadden),which I had.His trading list included Buffy 1 Willow auto.At the time both cards had a $100 trade value,so I took it.

Well those are good stories.

Bernie

Posts: 10448 | Location: Lubbock,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BenPanced
posted Hide Post
Best: opening a Sabrina hobby box and getting the beanie (Salem) AND the auto (MJH) I was hoping for.

Worst: buying two boxes of Santa Around the World and, being the nice guy that I am, giving my roommate the one box that was still factory sealed. He pulled the redemption cert for the 24-k gold card.

Stupid: buying three boxes of Olivia II, hoping to hang on to at least one for resale. I opened two and found both had #'s 1, 2, & 3 of the chromium inserts. Deciding to take the risk of finding 4, 5, & 6 in the next, I cracked it. I now have at least 11 complete sets of Olivia II and 1 complete of the chromium inserts.

Smartest: deciding I'd had enough with buying full boxes and am content with just buying base sets in one swell foop.

Posts: 19 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: April 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJohnson
posted Hide Post
Hi all! Just have to mention the best card I have found in a pack was the rare R4 Xena costume card from the 3rd box of series six cards opened!! That was the one card I didn't have any hope of finding and my collection wouldn't have been complete without it.

Posts: 96 | Location: Manistee, MI USA | Registered: April 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi.
I am a collector from France, this is my first post.
My best :
* I bought a "X files season 8" box. In the second pack I opened, I fund Annabeth gish auto. And a few packs later, my girlfriend found the Doggett Tie redemption! We also have 3 Believe to understand and 2 Search for Mulder cards, and 2 full sets! The great box.
* On December, I finnally bought a box on low price of Tombraider movie. I a not a huge fan of the movie, but this box was here from many month, and I have the feeling it could be a good box.
I was right, I found Angelina jolie auto in it! And made 3 sets.

This is some great moments who are really important when you are a collector.

Posts: 161 | Location: FRANCE | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dune
posted Hide Post
I know these are major cards at all but last night I was complaining away to perfectblue about my lack of luck surrounding the lotr prismatic foils and the charactor cards.. I was saying about how I had bought so many packs and not even got charactor cards from the base set...and then today I bought a pack of lotr and got prismatic foil and the other 7 cards were charactor cards...
I just thought it was ironic..
Dune

Posts: 330 | Location: North East England | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post