Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    good stories you're friends don't get
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
good stories you're friends don't get
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of dlpn1fan
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aagranata:
Adam Kubert sketchagraph card from the 97 Fleer Ultra Spider-Man set.

Hello would you be willing to share a scan of that card?

Thanks, Bryan
 
Posts: 751 | Location: Pomona CA | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of zhamlau
posted Hide Post
I have one story, sports card related, but you can get the idea. Go into a local card shop, trying to trade some hockey autograph inserts for a good one (steve yzerman if anyone cares) Long and short, the guy wouldnt trade.
I look up top on his shelf to see what else he had...he has a pack of 1979/80 O-Pee-Chee Hockey cards, just one pack, 100 dollars U.S. (common gretzky rookie card comes out of it, 1200 dollars). I told the guy could he come down on the price, he said he would take my trade i offered for the yzerman, for the pack AS LONG as i opened the pack infront of him. I do the deal, and before i open the pack, i ask why did he want me to open it now infront of him. He told me, 'becouse i want to have a good laugh when you dont pull it (the gretzky RC). This pissed me off a little.
First card...WAYNE...DILLION :-( He says "Oh, goodie, there are at least WAYNE cards in there (laugh laugh , his employess get into it with him)...2 cards down, its an oiler(waynes team)....cam connor..."look, there are OILERS in there too! Great pack buddy" (laugh laugh laugh, he is rubbing it in now super hard). Peel down 2 more cards and i say out loud to everyone in shop, "Hmm, this is odd. I already got a Wayne card (the dillion). I already got a Oiler card (the cam connor)...geez talk about odd, now i have a Wayne Card THATS an oiler card, CARD 18 WAYNE GRETZKY ROOKIE CARD!!!"
He looks down at my hand that is shaking , and hits the table top cursing "God D@MN IT". His little lackies are stunned. I put it in a super high quality holder, and sent it off to a granding company. Came back a psa 8, sold 2100 dollars. The best part though, when all was said and done, was hammering this jerk infront of his employees (i later found out he normally searched his sport card packs for jersey cards and such, and then went out of business).

____________________
Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!
 
Posts: 1882 | Location: michigan | Registered: September 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
haha great story zhamlau Thumb Up
Serves him right,I too would of been pissed-off at his remarks.
I hope you went back after the grading and also let him know how much you sold it for.

____________________
Bernie...

If you would like to view my want/have lists,then go to my trading site at the following.
SpiderGoblins Trading Site

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper
 
Posts: 10392 | Location: Amarillo,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jack London
posted Hide Post
I tried to explain the concept of autographed cards in packs of nonsport cards to a coworker. I told him that I was going to buy a box of cards on ebay that guaranteed one autograph per box (Lost box for gf). I told him that some autos were harder to get and highly sought after. In all seriousness, the guy says, "Well, call me stupid, but I bet the guy who sells them to you will only put a regular autograph card in the box. You should tell him you are only willing to buy the box if he puts in the one you want."

I thought he was joking, but no. He kind of rolled his eyes when I said the boxes are sealed at the factory and the autograph you get is random. He figured that I was "being naive". Big Grin

____________________
-"One of the symptoms of approaching nervous breakdown is the belief
that one's work is terribly important." Bertrand Russell

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." Henry David Thoreau
 
Posts: 1553 | Location: Southern California | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Redemption
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
It is unbelievable the luck of the individual who does not collect cards. My mother in law knows that I like cards so she will buy the latest special at wal-mart. I have tried to explain to her why she shouldnt do that but what can I do...she's my mother in law. Two years ago she buys me a tube of mixed packs for $9.99 and I pull an $80.00 insert. Last Christmas she buys me two packs of a certain brand of football cards. Of course in my mind it takes a whole box to hopefully get anything good but what can I say...she's my mother in law. I bust them open and I find an Issac Bruce (St Louis Rams) football and jersy combo card numbered 8 of 25. The only problem now is that I could never sell it because of the story behind it. Just too sentimental i guess.


Could you loan me your mother-in-law for a few shopping trips? Big Grin

____________________
I'm a burning effigy of everything I used to be. Robbie Williams
My Sketch Collection
 
Posts: 8466 | Location: Tormented Space | Registered: July 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
zhamlau:

I just read your pack pull story. Way to stick it to the dealer.

I like dealers and need dealers, but he got what he deserved for not wishing his customer's good luck. It's gotta be fun you know, and not not get dissed in front of everyone.
 
Posts: 417 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: October 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
This probably deserves its own thread, but this one is close enough.

Before I became a card collector, a certain manufacturer called Darren was guesting on a certain shopping channel in the UK. It must have been just before Christmas 2001, it was a Lord of the Rings Show.

It featured among other things selling trading cards based on the Fellowship series. One of the items for sale was a Sean Bean (Boromir) UK exclusive auto card for £29.99.

How I laughed, and rolled on the floor with such jolity and glee, "Who is going to spend that kind of money on a piece of cardboard", I said to my wife.

About six months later I started collecting trading cards, and in particulat LOTR.

I will leave it to the rest of you to make up your own minds on my actions above.

Needless to say I've got Darren to blame for introducing me to the hobby. Thanks mate, I owe you a PINT!!
 
Posts: 1752 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
This is going to sound like a real stupid question, but if it is, please blame it on me being a non-sporty Brit!
Reading zhamlau's story above made me realise that I don't actually know what a 'rookie' card it! (I know who Wayne Gretzky is - I took a tour of Madison Square Garden in '98 and got to sdand next to his locker!)
Could someone please explain for a simpleton like me? Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul

____________________
Sometimes, one pack is not enough...
http://www.paulbines.co.uk
http://cardboardworld.blogspot.com/
http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast
 
Posts: 7200 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quaint1:
This is going to sound like a real stupid question, but if it is, please blame it on me being a non-sporty Brit!
Reading zhamlau's story above made me realise that I don't actually know what a 'rookie' card it! (I know who Wayne Gretzky is - I took a tour of Madison Square Garden in '98 and got to sdand next to his locker!)
Could someone please explain for a simpleton like me? Big Grin
Au Res.,
Paul


I believe it's a card for his first year as a professional <whatever his sport is> player.
 
Posts: 3029 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of spidergoblin
posted Hide Post
Raj is correct Thumb Up

____________________
Bernie...

If you would like to view my want/have lists,then go to my trading site at the following.
SpiderGoblins Trading Site

"nuff said"

"it traps,it kills,it eats....that's what a good spider does"
Alice Cooper
 
Posts: 10392 | Location: Amarillo,TX | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Best pack was Star Wars Galaxy 4 pulling autographed Lost Yoda card.

I tend to be pretty lucky with pack pulls, more picking ones up in stores rather than purchased online (not all online dealers are so honest).

Worst box(s)? I once purchased 3 boxes of Charmed Forever and pulled a Paige's Green Pants Costume card in each box (PW13). Boy was that unluck!

Best box(s)? My first ever, ever sealed box of Charmed Season One I pulled S1 spirit board that was an awesome moment.

My first box of Charmed Connects (I got about 5? in the end) I pulled PWR1 the Pipers Skirt Redemption which was the hot pick for that set. Very happy to get it back from Inkworks and still 2 (Costume and Redemption) of my favorite cards. Clap
 
Posts: 897 | Location: USA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I pulled two of the James Kirk Captain's Cards in TOS Season 3, in the same box, one pack apart.
 
Posts: 1712 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I pulled two of the James Kirk Captain's Cards in TOS Season 3, in the same box, one pack apart.


That's epic! Eek Bouncey

Did you keep them both? (I probably would, even though I never really collected Star Trek).
 
Posts: 897 | Location: USA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I pulled two of the James Kirk Captain's Cards in TOS Season 3, in the same box, one pack apart.


That's epic! Eek Bouncey

Did you keep them both? (I probably would, even though I never really collected Star Trek).


Yup, in fact I just looked at them to see if they were sequentially numbered, but they werem't.
 
Posts: 1712 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's got to be one of the great trading card stories I've heard - great to get that call!


quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
I was really hot & heavy into Coca-Cola cards when<br />Collect-A-Card was knee deep in printing them. I<br />was a dealer/direct and had ordered 6 cases of the first series. I was breaking boxes and selling sets and the chase like crazy! but didn't get a gold coupon. Broke 6 cases of series 2 and 3 and 4 cases of series 4, no gold coupon. Broke 2 cases of the wide vision and I also broke 4 cases of the premium, no coupon. I couldn't believe with buying all of those thousands of packs, I couldn't <br />find 1 coupon! Then one thursday afternoon (I remember is very well) I got a phone call from someone who worked at Collect-A-Card and I was told as of friday night they were out of business! I was offered one of EVERY gold card that was ever produced even the Coca Cola magazine exclusive for a unbelievable price that I couldn't pass up. All 7 Coke gold cards, the Olympic gold card, all 4(oh yes, there are 4 different) of the Harley gold cards and the Easyrider picnic gold card ( I opted to pass on the basketball and Country ones)So I bought 2 of each gold card and sold one whole run to a friend who begged me for the set for what I paid for both runs! I wound up getting mine for free! And my friend was more excited than I was!<br />That's better than a packed pulled coupon any day!<br />The ironic part of the story is that one day while at a local show, my wife buys a bag of unopened packs for the kids. There was about 25 random packs in the bag and she paid $4.00 for the lot.<br />She gave all the packs to the kids but keeps one pack of Coca-Cola series 4 and she pulls the gold coupon!!!!!!!!
 
Posts: 651 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It may not be a particularly valuable pack-pull but my best one might be from a 1993 Topps promo pack that I bought at a show a couple of years later. It was the one that had two Star Wars Galaxy 1 promos, a Jason Goes to Hell comic promo, Batman Animated, and a couple of others (unnumbered SWG promo with Princess Leia on top). At the time I didn't know what was in the packs other than the top and bottom card. Included were the Wildcats, Last Action Hero promos and the SWG unnumbered "stormtrooper on dewback," but when I looked at the back of the cards, I saw that the stormtrooper promo had a blank back other than some minor ink staining. The promo does normally advertise the set on the back. I've never seen one for sale but have to assume other people have it too.

I did once buy a single pack of Topps football cards just to see what they looked like that year and pulled a rare Dan Marino said to be worth $500 at the time. As a Dolphins fan, I kept it - probably not worth near as much now.



quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That's got to be one of the great trading card stories I've heard - great to get that call!


quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
I was really hot & heavy into Coca-Cola cards when<br />Collect-A-Card was knee deep in printing them. I<br />was a dealer/direct and had ordered 6 cases of the first series. I was breaking boxes and selling sets and the chase like crazy! but didn't get a gold coupon. Broke 6 cases of series 2 and 3 and 4 cases of series 4, no gold coupon. Broke 2 cases of the wide vision and I also broke 4 cases of the premium, no coupon. I couldn't believe with buying all of those thousands of packs, I couldn't <br />find 1 coupon! Then one thursday afternoon (I remember is very well) I got a phone call from someone who worked at Collect-A-Card and I was told as of friday night they were out of business! I was offered one of EVERY gold card that was ever produced even the Coca Cola magazine exclusive for a unbelievable price that I couldn't pass up. All 7 Coke gold cards, the Olympic gold card, all 4(oh yes, there are 4 different) of the Harley gold cards and the Easyrider picnic gold card ( I opted to pass on the basketball and Country ones)So I bought 2 of each gold card and sold one whole run to a friend who begged me for the set for what I paid for both runs! I wound up getting mine for free! And my friend was more excited than I was!<br />That's better than a packed pulled coupon any day!<br />The ironic part of the story is that one day while at a local show, my wife buys a bag of unopened packs for the kids. There was about 25 random packs in the bag and she paid $4.00 for the lot.<br />She gave all the packs to the kids but keeps one pack of Coca-Cola series 4 and she pulls the gold coupon!!!!!!!!
 
Posts: 651 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sometime around 1999 or 2000, I was looking for the very hard to find 101 Dalmations Petsmart promo card by SkyBox, from the mid-1990s, which was exclusive to the store. At the time, all of the big promo collectors that I knew were looking for it, but no one had one

So one day, I did a simple internet search, using the search terms. I found a woman in Texas (not a card collector) who worked at Petsmart and she had a webpage selling Disney stuff. Lo and behold, the promo card was listed on the page. She had no idea what it was.

I called her on the phone, and she told me that she had about a dozen of them. I asked her how much she'd sell them for, and she said "how about 50 cents each" ?

Needless to say, I grabbed them all. I could not believe it
 
Posts: 4045 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    good stories you're friends don't get

© Non-Sport Update 2013