Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    good stories you're friends don't get
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

good stories you're friends don't get
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
Picture of I need that card
posted Hide Post
Hi

My best pull was buying two packets of Thunderbirds cards to see what they were like and the top card being a Sylvia Anderson Auto,

My worst luck was leaving 5 packets of LOTR cards and my 'friend' buying them and pulling a Ian Holm auto

Such is life

Posts: 7 | Location: England | Registered: January 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Blue
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same...but in a similar vein (one i'm sure many can relate to)
I had always dipped my toe in collecting cards. And then Buffy came along. Having previously only ever bought packs of x-files, and never quite completed a basic set. So i decided to buy a basic set from a magazine ad.
Along with my basic set came a catalouge. "Willow/Angel etc cards £30 each" i cried - "who would be mad enough to pay that"?
Here now (almost five years later?) paying £200 for the angel auto "BECAUSE I MUST HAVE EVERY CARD!"
red face
Mike

Posts: 829 | Location: United kingdom | Registered: July 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of angeleyes777
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I've got a Season 2 Giles auto, but I don't know how much cash it would take to pry it out of my hands. If you really are desperately searching for one, send me an e-mail..... smile

Posts: 643 | Location: Modesto, CA, USA | Registered: July 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
Hi! I'm soooo excited and I had to share!
I bought a box of WWF All Access and got a redemption card for Maven's auto and I got a Jeff Hardy costume card. And 8 chase cards.
Then I bought a box of Scorpion King and got 5 chase cards, but I got the redemption for THE ROCK's costume card!!!!!!!!!!! Yaay Me.
Then as I was leaving the card shop owner handed me a stack of the All Access cards and told me to keep them. I said thanks and then he said now remember I did not make a mistake in those cards. So when I got out to my car not only had he slipped in 2 chase cards, but also the Tazz costume card!!!!!!!!!!1

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of angeleyes777
posted Hide Post
Now Kristy, isn't that a good story your friends did get? I remember my phone ringing. smile

Posts: 643 | Location: Modesto, CA, USA | Registered: July 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
But Karin I was sooo excited I had to tell EVERYONE I could think of! smile

Posts: 1042 | Location: Modesto, CA USA | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of xst
posted Hide Post
Hallelujah!!! Good for you!!

Posts: 1395 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: June 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the retailer deserves some kind of special recognition like the (major hockey card price guide) would feature, and have occassionally wondered why NSU didn't feature a similair short article in it's pages for N/S dealers-and for collectors to brag about their good pulls. It would be a great way to match faces with names we keep hearing about, and to promote the industry through letting collectors know that the(se) store(s) do indeed exist. (How many times have you wanted a card and had to wait and wait for someone on e-bay to list one?) This store would be worthy of a picture article, especially since my local dealer strips out the boxes claiming he has to in order make them worth carrying--unfortunately after he sells me the auto's he has pulled I have no reason to purchase any packs since I know there's nothing left to get, and the rest of the box sits there collecting dust. --chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I was really hot & heavy into Coca-Cola cards when
Collect-A-Card was knee deep in printing them. I
was a dealer/direct and had ordered 6 cases of the first series. I was breaking boxes and selling sets and the chase like crazy! but didn't get a gold coupon. Broke 6 cases of series 2 and 3 and 4 cases of series 4, no gold coupon. Broke 2 cases of the wide vision and I also broke 4 cases of the premium, no coupon. I couldn't believe with buying all of those thousands of packs, I couldn't
find 1 coupon! Then one thursday afternoon (I remember is very well) I got a phone call from someone who worked at Collect-A-Card and I was told as of friday night they were out of business! I was offered one of EVERY gold card that was ever produced even the Coca Cola magazine exclusive for a unbelievable price that I couldn't pass up. All 7 Coke gold cards, the Olympic gold card, all 4(oh yes, there are 4 different) of the Harley gold cards and the Easyrider picnic gold card ( I opted to pass on the basketball and Country ones)So I bought 2 of each gold card and sold one whole run to a friend who begged me for the set for what I paid for both runs! I wound up getting mine for free! And my friend was more excited than I was!
That's better than a packed pulled coupon any day!
The ironic part of the story is that one day while at a local show, my wife buys a bag of unopened packs for the kids. There was about 25 random packs in the bag and she paid $4.00 for the lot.
She gave all the packs to the kids but keeps one pack of Coca-Cola series 4 and she pulls the gold coupon!!!!!!!!

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
It is unbelievable the luck of the individual who does not collect cards. My mother in law knows that I like cards so she will buy the latest special at wal-mart. I have tried to explain to her why she shouldnt do that but what can I do...she's my mother in law. Two years ago she buys me a tube of mixed packs for $9.99 and I pull an $80.00 insert. Last Christmas she buys me two packs of a certain brand of football cards. Of course in my mind it takes a whole box to hopefully get anything good but what can I say...she's my mother in law. I bust them open and I find an Issac Bruce (St Louis Rams) football and jersy combo card numbered 8 of 25. The only problem now is that I could never sell it because of the story behind it. Just too sentimental i guess.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm......I suppose it was getting the V card in the TOS II series..the one that got you the full autograph set, I was SO excited, I coulda freaked smile )))) I got a DeForest Kelly auto card AND the V in the same box.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
I have no luck. The highlite of my card collecting experience (which spans at least ten years) was probably getting a Susan Olsen autographed card from a dumped box of TV's Coolest Classics! And I have bought them all. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Xena, X-FIles, etcetera. All I can say is thank God for Ebay and some reputable sellers or my habit and hobby would have perished long ago!

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jaico
posted Hide Post
I'm in a current card situation that started years ago.

About 6 years ago I bought 2 boxs of January Playboy Centerfold cards on Ebay. When I opened the first pack the cards were stuck together. I emailed the seller and he took no resposibilty (jerk). He said the boxes may have come from seperate caseses and the other box may be better. Well, I tried all sorts of things to unstick the cards, microwave, oven and freezer, in foil, out of foil in all combinations, but no use. (You know those foil packs start to melt at about 250 degrees) Less than a third of the cards were in fine condition.

For years that second box has haunted me. Could I sell it? Should I inform the buyer that its worth was probably only as an unopened box? Anyway I finally decided to give it a try and sure enough it is the same as the first box.

So I have been and am once again in the awkward position of fearing I might find a special card.

Please, Please don't let me find and autograph.

Posts: 27 | Location: Hamilton, OH | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
didnt your mom ever tell you that if you look at that stuff you'll go blind. I figure if a hammer and chisle doesnt work the trash can is the next place for storage. It seems that you can get many of the playboy autographs on ebay for quite cheap. Just curious what did you pay per box back in the day??

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of angeleyes777
posted Hide Post
Yay! I finally have a good story to share! I just bought one box of the new Witchblade TV series trading cards, and got both a Pieceworks card (Sara Pezzini's jeans) and an autograph card! Better still, the autograph I got was Yancy Butler (who plays the star of the show and bearer of the Witchblade, Sara Pezzini)! I guess that's my luck for the year! But that won't stop me from buying more of these cards.

Picture of jaico
posted Hide Post
Well mykdude, you sent me looking into my old records and with my poor eyesight they are difficult to read

I paid $33.00 for two boxes and 6.00 for S+H

Posts: 27 | Location: Hamilton, OH | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Kristy
posted Hide Post
I'm so happy. I bought a box and the binder for Hercules. I got in my box-Autographs-Michael Hurst, Kevin Smith and Liddy Holloway, 5 of one chase set and 8 of another, but no holofex card. In the binder I got Meighan Desmond.
I love Michael Hurst and am very happy about that one.

Picture of wattosjunkyard
posted Hide Post
I have always been into cards for years but I just bought one or two packs at a time and never sprung for the whole box. I went to the Star Wars Celebration and there was a booth with Trading cards and I picked up a box of Stargate Sg-1. I took it home and started opening them up. My sister kept begging me to let her open a pack. I finally gave in and gave her one pack. I told her to will it to be a Richard Dean Anderson card just as a joke. She opens it up and says "All I got was some Teryl Rothery card. You know I think this looks like she actually signed it." After I stopped yelling at her telling her it wasn't fair I gave her another pack. She ended up pulling out almost all of the special cards. Luckly I pulled out the Richard Dean Anderson Costume Card. She also pulled out the Anise/Freya costume card and the J.R. Bourne autograph card out of Stargate SG-1 Season 4 box and a costume and auto out of Farscape Season 2.
I just got a box of Gargoyles(I loved that cartoon) cards. She pulled out the video redemption card which has a 1:180 packs odds.
She just shrugs her shoulders and doesn't understand.

Posts: 17 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: May 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of aagranata
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's very important to let a non-collector open the packs....or at least half of 'em. I've never pulled anything good out of a box, but my wife has had great luck. She's pulled a Ken Kelly autograph, a Charles Vess autograph, and an Adam Kubert sketchagraph card from the 97 Fleer Ultra Spider-Man set. Of course, she views them as just pieces of cardboard. She recently went ballistic when I paid $156 for a mint 1976 Topps Star Trek set with stickers on ebay. Now, I ask you......would you go ballistic with a deal like that???

Posts: 822 | Location: Spanaway, WA | Registered: May 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have a similair story about letting non-collectors open packs...only mine ends with a big ding in the corner(!) and the non-collector trying to blame it on Charisma Carpenter. Always the scapegoat that one...-- (lol--NOW! It wasn't funny at the time...) --chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post