Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storage Question
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Cee_Jay
posted Hide Post
Hi MvG,

here's a pic of a top loader in a team baggie (it's the sleeve around the top loader):

To say the truth I didn't know, that penny sleeves can have pvc/acid or not. I looked on the package of the sleeves and saw that they are acid free and have no pvc. But I don't know if all my penny sleeves are that. So I have to go to the next comic shop, buy new penny sleeves and exchange them. (I know it's crazy, but the penny sleeves are not expansive and I don't want to damage my cards somehow...)

Thank you for the hint!!!

Posts: 756 | Location: NRW, Germany | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Hi Cee_Jay,

you're welcome! I also didn't know that untill last week when I got curious and and looked on the auctionbay and found some that are pvc/acid free. The ones I already got are not.. Twak

Guess I also have to buy a lot of new packages of sleeves, I also don't want to damage the cards in the long run!! Thumb Up

Also thx for explaining the team baggie. I knew it's a sleeve around the top loader but didn't know it was called that way!

Well, gotta go and spend ridiculious amounts of money on cardsupplies Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MvG,

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Master
posted Hide Post
so what is the best way to keep cards, stored or displayed?

http://twitter.com/MasterFreeza

Posts: 1233 | Location: Renegade City | Registered: April 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
For my promos I store them in penny sleeves and put them in card savers made of Mylar. Them they go in 2 row shoe boxes, Alphabetized a different letter per box.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of SciFiMom
posted Hide Post
I need to find a new shop to buy some "team baggies" from since the place I went to before is no longer in business. Frown

Posts: 3953 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of dmatsuda
posted Hide Post
I finally invested in about $200 worth of supplies (top-loaders, team bags, 4-pocket pages, postcard sleeves, etc.). I'm a lot happier with my collection since I have less fear in damaging my cards when I turn the pages! Metal

Posts: 1446 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Hi,
since last time I visited this topic I went out and bought toploaders/sleeves/teambaggies etc. to store my autocards etc.

I only had a problem with the soft sleeves, I think they wrinkle to much. So I bought Ultra Pro Card protector sleeves. To store 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cards. They are perfect! Sizing is consistent, they are long enough to cover the entire card and fit perfectly in a 9 pocket page. You just have to be very, very careful to put the cards in because they are a fraction smaller then soft sleeves.

Just one problem... They have a hologram on the bottom right corner and I don't want that!!
So my question is does anyone know if I can buy Card protector sleeves without the hologram!!

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of meatwagon
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure deck protectors are boxes that hold anywhere from say 50-70 cards aprox.Usually made out of cardboard,plastic,and some high end ones made to be real sturdy.I believe they mostly are used for collectibe card games where you would want to keep a playing deck together.And "card protectors" would be for singles.Hope this helps.Again I'm new to this but I do believe this is an acurrate statement.

Posts: 218 | Location: Ca. USA | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by meatwagon:
I'm pretty sure deck protectors are boxes that hold anywhere from say 50-70 cards aprox.Usually made out of cardboard,plastic,and some high end ones made to be real sturdy.I believe they mostly are used for collectibe card games where you would want to keep a playing deck together.And "card protectors" would be for singles.Hope this helps.Again I'm new to this but I do believe this is an acurrate statement.

i would never store my cards in a meatwagon Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of meatwagon
posted Hide Post
just add a litle BBQ sauce and it 's all good!! Drool

Posts: 218 | Location: Ca. USA | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Thx for the reply Meatwagon (nice nick by the way..) but they are both for singles. Deck protectors are not boxes but also sleeves just for singles.

This is what it says on ebay:

ONE ULTRA DECK PROTECTORS 100 IN PACK.NO PVC.ACID FREE- SIZED TO FIT ULTRA-PRO 9-POCKET PAGES- MADE IN USA

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Deck protectors are card protectors that are made for gaming cards. Most have one clear side and one colored side.

They do make clear deck protectors, and they are identical to 'card protectors.'

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, for clearing that up!

All Deck/Card protectors have a little hologram stamped on them in the bottom right corner. Do you now if there are simular sleeves like that (ultra pro or other brands) that are completely blank, so without the hologram?

Thanks,
Mario

Picture of meatwagon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MvG:
Thx for the reply Meatwagon (nice nick by the way..) but they are both for singles. Deck protectors are not boxes but also sleeves just for singles.

Thank you for the compliment.And now I also learned something new.

posted Hide Post
I too find the little holograms a little irritating, but that's branding for you.

At least the current deck/card protectors are just a little, about 1/16 of an inch longer compared against the older ones. They don't seem to be flush with the card top anymore.

Posts: 419 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: October 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
I just found out that there is a brand that makes sleeves just like the Ultra Pro deck protectors but without the hologram on the bottom. There called Dragon Shield: clear.

Anyone out here that has any experience with those sleeves??

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
Dragon Shield is an Ultra Pro product Smile

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
Wowser, who knew. Eek I might have to check out what I have for supplies and rethink things. Plenty of food for thought.

A question. Do you store your binders by standing them up or lying them flat. I only have a few so they are currently lying flat, only because I didn't want the pages to "sag and bend" at the bottom corner away from rings. Most of my binders are Inkworks.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Depends on the rarity of the card. I honestly use regular 9 pocket pages. Perhaps I should amend that? For rarer trading cards I use a sleeve and top loader put into a comic book pvc page in a binder for safe keeping.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT DISCUSSION!

I'm a photographer and have seen what happens first hand to chemical prints if stored in acidic products as well as ink prints if stored in daylight. I suspect that most trading card products such as Ultra Pro sleeves contain PVC and certainly vinyl binders do. PVC slowly emits a gas that can, over time, destroy photographic prints so I expect that the same can happen with some trading cards.

I use photography-intended PVC and acid free products such as Print File brand 9 card sleeves and Archival Methods brand binders. They are designed for use with library archive so I feel they are far superior to common trading card products which usually are not even labeled as not containing PVC.

I had my cards from when I was a kid in Ultra Pro and today the sleeves are not as clear as they once were, smell of PVC and in some cases are a little sticky or brittle.

As far as screw downs, if the case is closed in a humid environment, you are literally trapping moisture in with your card which will slowly destroy it. I store my cards in a binder and sleeves so they can breath. I keep silica gel packets in the binders to absorb any moisture in the air.

My binders also have slip cases on them to protect against debris etc entering the binder.

Obviously these products are not crush-resistent like a good screw-down or PSA case so you have to be careful not to sit on your binder or something stupid. And you can't keep removing and replacing cards in their sleeves which adds wear. but I believe that if you put everything in archival sleeves in an archival binder and just take basic precautions, this is actually a smarter way to store cards than more costly and space-eating plastic cases.

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: February 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post