Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 101
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The mystery box
 Login/Join

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the boxes will be arriving soon. I want to know who gets them next!!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RupT:
Not only that, but if the person you are sending to decides not to take THAT much from the box, that cardtalker then has fork out the P+P for the box to get to the next cardtalker, and if and when its startst o go overseas again the P+P cost will be a lot higher!!!

Which is why I won't hold my breath on either of them hitting the Asia/Pacific region Wink Everything *always* revolves around postage cost. Personally, I don't care what it costs me to send out trades. That's just one of the things that goes with trading - paying for postage.
That's Life.

Myself and two NSU members I regulary chat to are forever sending each other packages. Not officially trading, just sending stuff we know the other collects. We have our own 'surprise packages' when I can find enough stuff to make a package Smile I would quote what another NSU member emailed to me (about what he thought of my cards) but swearing and abuse isn't tolerated here, in fact anywhere. Shake Head
All I will say to that person is: Grow up.

We'll continue to do our own 'packages' as neither of us three cares about trivial matters such as postage costs from the UK to Australia Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Star*Mystyk,

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of mtlhddoc2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star*Mystyk:
We'll continue to do our own 'packages' as neither of us three cares about trivial matters such as postage costs from the UK to Australia Smile

Unfortunately, for many of us, money is an issue. Sometimes it costs MORE to trade an item than it does to purchase it. It really is just simple economics. When trading overseas, I usually try to make it for trades for foreign exclusives, or make the trade large enough to justify the postage. But when the postage costs 3 times what the item is worth, honestly, when you only have a small ammount of money to use for cards, either for trading or purchasing, its kind of foolish. My shipping funds come from the same pool of cash as my purchasing funds, so I try to get the most bang for my buck. Often that means the exclusion of some international trading, even international freebies. Some people get upset about this, calling me prejudiced against non-Americans, but all I can say is that it could not be further from the truth.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Censored | Registered: November 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Star - we could start the "Oi Oi Oi" Box - one the just circulates round and round our little states in Australia. We would all get a nice little thud on our door step about once a month I think Wink

Posts: 833 | Location: Melbourne, VIC. Australia | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have received Mystery Box A and it would have been going out again today, unfortunately I have just found out I don't have any brown tape so it will now be tomorrow.

Lesley

Posts: 3862 | Location: UK | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
Star, don't take it personally. I am on a very tight budget and sent the box overseas, just so that people outside of the US could participate. It cost me quite a bit to do so, but not everyone will pay that much. I hope one will get to Australia, but please don't be mad. It's just a box of cards.

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Star*Mystyk
posted Hide Post
Seeing as the entire non-sport trading card world really only involves those in the UK & US it wouldn't have been much of an effort to send to the UK anyway.

There are only 3 active traders from Australia, compared to dozens elsewhere, what would be the point of sending here, anyway. We don't have anything anyone needs. Not right now. Although when we do the suck up emails pour in.

The next time someone says, "You're from Australia, I need this card..." I'll say no, and remind them of the last time we were excluded from some trading card thing going around.

'It's just a box of cards,'
Yep, and I'll be looking for my cards elsewhere from now on.

Posts: 3225 | Location: AU | Registered: June 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of xSaBx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Star*Mystyk:
The next time someone says, "You're from Australia, I need this card..." I'll say no, and remind them of the last time we were excluded from some trading card thing going around.

Normally, I'd keep quiet at this point, but that comment made me think.

I've made sure with the Thunderbirds offer that nobody from Australia missed out, *and* that you got your cards because it is so often the case that people forget that the Trading World extends further than Europe and the Americas. I can understand the argument here, but what you must try and understand Star is that to post 100 cards plus is going to cost money, and that you can't blame people in a free offer such as this not to want to send the cards to places where the cost is substantial.

My point is this: just because someone is generous with an offer but you don't get to take part it's not particularly fair to criticise that offer in the first place, because this might stop further shows of individuality in the future. Then *everyone* loses out, not just you, and although you might feel justified if that happened the outcome really isn't a good one.

If you would like a good selection of latest promos and other chase cards I'll be happy to make up a Mini-box of goodies for you and send them to Australia as a surprise. I'll extend the offer to any Australians too. All you need to do is drop me an e-mail...

Crunchy on the Outside,
Smooth on the Inside:
Armadillos!

REMEMBER: Take out the 'removemefirst' from my e-mail address to reply...

Posts: 5362 | Location: The South East, United Kingdom | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
G,Day. Wave

I,m an Australian and i would like to take you up on your offer of a nice box of stuff.

Good on ya XsabX. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
In answer to Star.

When i sent the mystery box on to it,s next port of call i can honestly say that it never entered my head not to send it to someone or some country because of the cost involved.

I sent it to the person i wanted to send it to and if she had happened to live on the moon then so be it, i would have still sent it.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The mystery box A (I think it's A)is on it's way to the next person.

LW

Posts: 3862 | Location: UK | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wasn't going to comment further on the box situation and my previous post with the "oi oi oi" box was a light hearten attempt at trying to diffuse the Australian siuation.

Being Australian (well acutally I'm a kiwi, living in Australia Smile)I know how hard it is to collect and I understand your frustration Star to a degree. But I must highlight that I have experienced first hand the individual generosity of various card talk members.

I was enternally grateful to Xsabx for organising a Thunderbird promo for - even though I only asked a day or so ago and was at least a couple of weeks late on the orginal offer. I have had other board members on here send me stuff out of the goodness of their heart to help me finish off some of my sets without asking anything in return.

Its just a box after all, whether it makes it to Australia or to me - well if it does fantastic, if not, well I won't be upset about it. I understand how expensive postage is from either the UK and the US because I know myself I cringe anytime I have to buy boxes or binders at the costs.

Plus after wolfie made the box 400 cards lighter Big Grin its bound to to have a much more quicker flight Smile

I was also very very very lucky to get the autograph promo (Benchwarmers) in a couple of issues back of NSU and I know a lot of people missed out on it - who would gladly love to be in my shoes.

So it all swings in roundabouts - you win some, you lose some Smile
Sarah

Posts: 833 | Location: Melbourne, VIC. Australia | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
Sarah, noticed you were from melbourne Smile

If you live near, or can get to, Chapel St. there are 2 very good card shops along there. Long walk, but walk away from melobourne, along the main street, past the cinema etc, and its past the bizaar place.

Hehe, one of the reasons i walked like a mile every day, just to look Big Grin #48 or 53 tram from elizabeth st.

Anyway just thought i would say Smile

P.s the tram number might be wrong, and it might not be elizabeth street Big Grin but the card shops definitly on Chapel Street Big Grin (think they are the right trams, but double check, wouldnt want anyone to get lost Big Grin)

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of RupT
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to be the first UK recipient of a Mystery Box thanx to Dobby. But hey i wasn't expecting it... and i like Sarah wouldn't have been all that bothered if i never received. So in actual fact, thanx to Dobby, the Antipodeans on the board now have twice the chance of receiving the box.

My post earlier was simply a suggestion (as i was looking out for overseas cardtalkers) so don't think the box will never reach the Southern Hemisphere.

You also have to bear in mind that the boxes have only been circulating for about 2 months. Remember there are over 1000 registered members on the board..... so chill... everyone still has a chance of receving the box especially if you have traded with people on the board.

And remember.. it's only a box of cards. You may find that when and if you receive the box there may not be a single card in there that you need or want. I wonder what your reply will be then???

For now sit tight, cross your your toes andd fingers, blow the candles out on your birthday cake this year and wish for a Mystery box to reach you!!!!

www.darthtailor.co.uk

Remove the "_NO_SPAM" before emailing me Smile

Posts: 4234 | Location: London, UK | Registered: September 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Neil
posted Hide Post
oh i remembered, it was flinders St. tram station, #48 :P

Posts: 1616 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Confused Must be coming my way via low flying seagul. Still a "Mystery" to Mister E., when this box will be here. Just wondered, "WHO" get's the last box when it runs out of NSU members listed??? Wolfie??????????? Eek Big Grin

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Have box a and b turned up anywhere or are they lost in the mail?!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Dobby The House Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
Confused Must be coming my way via low flying seagul. Still a "Mystery" to Mister E., when this box will be here. Just wondered, "WHO" get's the last box when it runs out of NSU members listed??? Wolfie??????????? Eek Big Grin

The boxes can go back around. Every few people the boxes will have changed so much, it's like a new thing. Barobehere has said that he hopes to get the box back some day, just to see how it looks. I would certainly be interested in getting it back as well.

Posts: 3469 | Location: The Cupboard Under The Stairs, 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey | Registered: September 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
The boxes can go back around. Every few people the boxes will have changed so much, it's like a new thing. Barobehere has said that he hopes to get the box back some day, just to see how it looks. I would certainly be interested in getting it back as well.[/QUOTE]

GETTING IT BACK ???
A photo on this forum of the box seems to be the closest i'll get to one of the boxes , let alone having another crack at it . Maybe a list of whose had them would help so as many unique reciepients as possible could have a delve Thumb Up

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Maybe a list of whose had them would help so as many unique reciepients as possible could have a delve Thumb Up

Hi Graham,

There is a list inside the box which you sign when you receive it, so you can see who has already received the box and don't send it to the same person again.

LW