Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
A for Australia

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Ahh thank you. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These packs have been more available in the past few years. You just want to wait in the weeds for a cheap one or a cheap lot. Here's the assembled puzzle of the Reflex cards (puzzle pieces on the fronts; text on the backs):

quote:
Originally posted by Card Master:
Hi Bill DeFranzo
The VW packs I got .is the Vapor and the yellow

When the pack is opened
The cards make a puzzle on one side of the car.To show what the car looks like and on the other side show what is in the cars.

But when I opened up the yellow pack I was missing one card and had a extra of a different card.
So I could not make a full puzzle for the yellow.
But when I opened a pack of the blue I made a full puzzle.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
I came across a pack of promotional movie cards the other day that I had never seen before, from a movie I've never heard of. They're from a 2007 movie called "The Comebacks" about a fictional college football team from Heartland State University (located in Plainfolk, Texas). Anyway, there are 22 unnumbered cards in the wrapper - which I'm assuming is the entire set? The cards are actually very well done - especially for a promotional item like this. Does anyone know anything else about these cards? I've looked online and wasn't able to find out much about them.

Here's a photo of the 1st 9 cards:

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a scan of the backs:

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Those cards look like a lot of work for a movie no one ever heard of, including me. Big Grin

What did the wrapper look like? No actors named, just characters, no studio or maker reference. I would tend to go with unlicensed, rather than real promos or theatre handouts, but either way no one had to bother. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven - the wrapper is commercially produced (multicolor with artwork) and is marked 20th Century Fox and has the URL Foxatomic.com - I’ll post a scan of it later this afternoon. I’m fairly certain that these are not unlicensed cards - if they are, then someone has access to some high-end packaging equipment. From what I was told, they were supposedly given out at theaters at the time of release. With 22 cards in the pack, it’s fairly thick, so I have a hard time believing these were some sort of premium with a DVD or similar.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well that sounds more promising as long as the studio is at least mentioned. The studios did some strange marketing at times and it could be that they had some small campaign before this tanked. The football style cards do seem like a clever tie-in.

As for character names, I can remember picking up a studio promotion for Galaxy Quest that consisted of 3 signed 8x10 photos of Allen, Rickman and Weaver from the movie. Unfortunately the characters, who were supposed to be actors, "autographed" the photos. Big Grin That was clever too.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
A couple of names that you'll recognise (in the US). Comebacks

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the front of the wrapper:

posted Hide Post
and the back of the wrapper:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
A couple of names that you'll recognise (in the US). Comebacks

Yes - especially if you're a fan of The Office as it has David Koechner (Todd Packer) and Melora Hardin (Jan Levison) and Carl Weathers and Will Arnett. I'm kind of intrigued by this movie now, so I suppose I'll have to watch it at some point. I'm sure it will probably make my eyes bleed, but why not? I'm sure I've seen worse at one time or another.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just googled Foxatomic and it was a production and distribution label of 20th Century Fox, dealing with comedy and genre films. It closed up in 2009 because it was a disappointment, probably films as good as The Comebacks did it in. Big Grin

Looks like your cards are legit promos. Congrats on your discovery. Smile

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:
Just googled Foxatomic and it was a production and distribution label of 20th Century Fox, dealing with comedy and genre films. It closed up in 2009 because it was a disappointment, probably films as good as The Comebacks did it in. Big Grin

Yeah, I'm sure "Citizen Kane" it's not! Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those promos are new to me. I vaguely remember the movie as something I didn't rent. Nice oddball find.

Sometimes, a studio makes cards that are given out only to cast and crew.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

There was a promo set for Galaxy Quest too. It was not easy to find when it was new but you can find it now. If you can find it for $10, that's a good deal.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well that sounds more promising as long as the studio is at least mentioned. The studios did some strange marketing at times and it could be that they had some small campaign before this tanked. The football style cards do seem like a clever tie-in.

As for character names, I can remember picking up a studio promotion for Galaxy Quest that consisted of 3 signed 8x10 photos of Allen, Rickman and Weaver from the movie. Unfortunately the characters, who were supposed to be actors, "autographed" the photos. Big Grin That was clever too.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jess,

I think I might have those Galaxy Quest cards buried some place. I remember sending in to a mail-in studio promotion at the time and I got back the photos, logo pins, a key light, maybe the cards. It was made to look like a Galaxy Quest fan club. Junky, but a cute idea.

Galaxy Quest is one of my all time top favorite films and probably the only Tim Allen movie I can stand, but then its really a great ensemble cast that makes it a love letter to Star Trek fans and geeks in general. It still holds up over the years with multiple viewings too. There are many sly lines in there that you don't catch at first. Good uplifting story. makes me want to pull out the DVD.

"By Grabthar's Hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!" Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven

If you need to see a scan I came across my unopened packet this afternoon.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'm sure others might like to see it too. I can't recall the cards honestly, but if I had them they got separated from the photos, which got stuck in a binder somewhere. My autograph cards are well organized, nothing else is. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are is a scan of the front and back of the promo packet.

Front

Back
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post