Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardscout,

I remember when I bought the t-shirt card, it was listed in PCE but I didn't see in the NSU price guide - not even in the old days. It wasn't a card I was looking for but while looking for other things, I stumbled onto it and had to get it - haven't seen one for sale since.

I'm not much into country either - more of a 70's rock guy though there's a lot of country-influence in 70's rock.

Not far from here, there's a city called Los Gatos, "The Cats."

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
G'day Cats...love the Monty Python T-shirt promo, might have to see if it's the one I have... Also I love the Judds promo, not really a country music fan, but pretty cool as a sample/promo card.. Thumb Up

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's the rare Country Gold #3 promo (Sterling Cards, Inc. 1992) featuring "The Judds." . . . It became one of the Most Wanted promos of the mid-late 90's. I saw one for sale a couple of years ago but haven't seen one since.

Do you recall what it went for?

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I want to say $15 but it might have been more like $10.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's the rare Country Gold #3 promo (Sterling Cards, Inc. 1992) featuring "The Judds." . . . It became one of the Most Wanted promos of the mid-late 90's. I saw one for sale a couple of years ago but haven't seen one since.

Do you recall what it went for?

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the 5 card "Phantom Zone" promo set (1996). It shows PZ1, PZ2, PZ3, PZ4 (front and back), and PZ5. It was given out only at "The Phantom Zone, a comic shop in Australia. The cards were made by at least two different companies (Dynamic Marketing, Intrepid, and maybe the store had one printed), promoting the store, a couple of celebrity in-store appearances, and "The Phantom" comic series.

It wasn't easy to find back then. I might have won a set in one of Roxanne's auctions or I found it at a San Diego Comic-Con. I've seen just a couple of singles for sale in the past few years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the front and two different backs (blue or red text) of the prototypes from the Movie Posters promo set (WTE, 1991). It seems the prototypes are more difficult to find now than the 20 promos with blue text on the back or the 20 with the red text.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a Tim Burton mystery card (Topps, undated). No one seems to know where it came from and it almost never appears for sale. It was tough enough finding clear images of the front and back. It's possible that a limited number were released at a special event or it might be another unreleased Topps card like the Last Action Hero card mentioned here:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....947096686#2947096686

Anyway, another Card Talk member asked me to post an image of it.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many collectors have the MH4 Wolverine hologram randomly inserted in packs of "Marvel Universe 1" (Skybox, 1990). The one shown below was not in packs. It's a rare sample variant (prototype) made to show what the cards could look like before the chase cards went into production. Cards like these were sometimes given away to employees. One sold earlier this year for $1000...that's right...one thousand dollars.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Really enjoying seeing all these strange cards. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm trying to keep it weird while also hoping to see more people show their oddball/rare cards.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Really enjoying seeing all these strange cards. Thumb Up

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a Coca-Cola promo (Collect-A-Card, 1996) that was sent out and then said to have been recalled because the title was misprinted "Signs of the Times." It was supposed to say "Signs of Good Taste. At first, as noted in PCE2008, it was thought that only 10 reached the market but at least 15 others were reported later. I remember that because a friend was offered around 15 of the cards at a show in Santa Clara (circa 2000) and he bought them all. Others appeared periodically on Ebay by late 2001 (not sure if those were from that group of 15). I don't have an idea how many are floating in collections now. I haven't seen one for sale in years.

It's a nice card with an all-foil front. It is noted as measuring 2 1/2 x 4 5/8 inches though mine is 2 1/2 x 4 11/16.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have a big bottle of Coca-Cola in my refrigerator.
Did you see the 'crazy Russian' show where he boils all the liquid out and is left with about a pound of sugar?
That's what CHAMPIONS are made of, hic!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
G'day Cats...love the Tim Butron and Wolverine promos, they certainly are rare cards. I have some rare promos myself, could you possibly post them here for me as I'm a punce when it comes to uploading pics here..? I can email you if it's ok...

Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardscout,

Yes, go ahead and email me. I'll post them for you.

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
G'day Cats...love the Tim Butron and Wolverine promos, they certainly are rare cards. I have some rare promos myself, could you possibly post them here for me as I'm a punce when it comes to uploading pics here..? I can email you if it's ok...

Thumb Up

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is an Easyriders (Collect-A-Card, 1994) artist proof variant of a gold card which is rare enough, obtainable only as a dealer incentive for those ordering an Easyriders special set that either didn't get made or was very limited (depending on who you talk to). I don't know how many of the gold cards were made but it was over 150 which were serial-numbered at the top on the back. The number of artist proofs was said to be 10 or less. They are unnumbered saying "Artist Proof" where the serial number would be on the dealer incentive. They were not released to the public with some reaching the market only after the company went out of business.

However, one thing is certain. Whether you get the artist proof or the dealer incentive, there is one gram of real gold in the card so when they say it's a gold card, it really is.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the 3-card promo set (fronts and backs) for the "The Erotic Illustrated Felix Trading Cards" set (Edition Quasimodo, undated), a German pin-up art series which later came to be known also as "Felix 1" (two other trading card sets were released later). PCE2008 listed these cards under "Edition Quasimodo" but the German text on the backs refer to the first trading card set. The art is by Reinhard Horst aka "Felix." This promo set shows 3 images from the 36-card set released in 1993 and has turned out to be the rarest of the Felix promos just because a smaller print run was done for the first set.

While the name of the regular set is "The Erotic Illustrated Felix Trading Cards," that title hadn't been decided yet and the set total was going to be 35 when the promos were printed so they are untitled. It would turn out to be a 36-card set with the 36th card being blank and intended to be sent back with $5 to the artist so he would add a sketch and return it (the $5 covered his shipping the card back to you).

Also, though the word "erotic" might lead people to think the cards may go beyond an "R" rating, it should be said that the art is certainly adult-oriented and suggestive with some female topless nudity but the style it's more playful than graphic with some of the art incorporating other genres (World War II, postwar, science fiction) as seen in the promos.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the fronts and backs of an extremely rare 4-card set of Thomas the Tank Engine promos (Spectrum Holdings Group, 1993). These cards, given out at the 1993 New York International Toy Fair, promote a card game.

Longtime promo collectors might recall that Bill DeFranzo was looking for this set during the 90's after he learned about it. He found it not at a show nor through a deal with another collector. It was a chance find at a flea market.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one I haven't seen for sale in a while. It's the P5 promo card from the "Joe Jusko's Edgar Rice Burroughs Collection" card set (FPG, 1994). It had a more limited release than other promos for the set because the artist, Joe Jusko, wanted to make changes to the artwork titled, "Thuvia Maid of Mars." It was hard-to-find in the 90's, but around 2008 to maybe 2015, you could find it for sale, some people having thinned out or sold their collections in that time.

A few years ago, I started looking for this card again though I still had the one I picked up in the 90's. I haven't seen one for sale nor a record of a recent purchase so I don't know what the going-rate is now.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
In the actual Jusko set associated with that promo the chase cards were a large glossy picture of that image and they look great.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the 4-card set of Carl Barks promos (Gemstone Publishing, Inc., 1995). It's been talked about in at least one other thread. No one seems to know how the cards were distributed but it has been said that less than 10 sets were given out and maybe as few as 4 or 5 exist. This set is separate from the larger sets that were inserted one per issue of certain comics and albums.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The P8 promo from the "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" set (Cornerstone Communications, Inc., 1999) was never released by Cornerstone, appearing on the market some time after it went out of business. It was not hard to find for a while but it's not seen for sale much these days.