Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Here are is a scan of the front and back of the promo packet.

Front

Back
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Thanks, I can't say that those packs look familiar.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
During the holiday season in 1998, Disneyland cast members were given a "Merriest Happiest Place on Earth" trading card. It was quickly noticed that Goofy appeared to have two left hands with one hand going through the sign he was holding rather than holding it. That one (the one on the right) became the error variant after a corrected card (the one on the left) was printed and given out. For years, I didn't notice if one was rarer than the other but it appears now that the corrected one comes up for sale less often.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good Evening

I would like class the following card as rarely seen.

This morning I was looking through a binder of promo cards that I had not looked at for a while and when I got towards the back of the album, tucked amongst some other non related promo cards I found a "World in Arms" card issued in 1939 by Gum Inc.of Philadelphia, PA. The card is number 2 of the sub-section Iron Cavalry. On the back in red overprint it states that the card is a sample of one of 120 cards. The size of the card is 29/16” x 3⅛".A search of the internet indicates that "sample" or "promo" cards were issued with a red overprint.

The red overprint states "FREE SAMPLE CARD ONE OF 120 DIFFERENT CARDS PACKED WITH "WORLD IN ARMS" BUBBLE GUM showing 40 WAR PLANES - 30 BATTLESHIPS - 10 IRON CAVALRY - 10 FIELD ARTILLERY - 10 FORTIFICATIONS - 20 MISC. -- AT YOUR CANDY STORE 1¢".

Allender's website describes the set of cards as below and his listing makes no mention of any sample cards yet clearly they exist as I saw images of at least two that were different to mine.

"The Canadian release tried to make the series less United States-centric, and even changed the title. The U.S. set (ACC reference number R173) has cream card backs, with the caption "Can America Maintain Peace with THE WORLD IN ARMS?" The Canada set (ACC reference number V276) has gray backs and the "Fighting Forces" caption.

The sets are numbered within subsets. The first half of each subset had a different back design ("a") from the second half ("b"). In the Canadian version, "a" displays the set composition, while "b" shows part of the descriptive text in French. In the U.S. version, "a" is marked "This is one of a series of Airplanes, Ships, Iron Calvary [sic], Field Artillery, Fortifications, and Miscellaneous Arms of the World." "b" is marked "Save to get these 120 cards: 40 Airplanes; 30 Ships; 10 Iron Cavalry 10 Field Artillery; 10 Fortifications; 20 Miscellaneous World Arms."Because only 48 cards were issued, I assume that the rest of the "120" might have had even other back designs."

I purchased the card as part of a batch of US trade cards from the 1930's and 1940's around 2010/11 from an eBay seller. As you see the card is not in great condition still worth keeping.

front

back

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's a great card, John. I have seen ads offering similar overprinted sample cards promoting other sets and I've seen some scans of cards in collections. One of the other sets was the 1953 Roy Rogers pop-outs. Another one, also from 1953 was Signal Oil's "Antique Autos" cards. Their free sample cards were specially-printed with different backs rather than being overprinted/stamped cards from the regular set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one of those cards FPG printed but never officially released. They appeared on the market after the company stopped doing cards. They were intended to be dealer incentives though at least one (the Mike Ploog card) was said to have been set aside to be given out to employees. This one promotes the work of John Berkey. It shows the same color art on both sides. The one I have was in a clear plastic holder with the FPG logo printed on it.

I haven't seen one for sale in years and don't know if all the ones on the market were also in a holder. The more commonly-seen of the unreleased FPG dealer incentives, the Chris Achilleos Series 2 and Sanjulian cards, weren't in holders. This Berkey card was going for about $25 at the height of its value around 2004.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists these four unnumbered "Tekchrome" (foil) cards associated with the "World War II: A Grateful Nation Remembers" set (Cardz, 1994). The packs contained 10 different numbered Tekchrome chase cards. The four other ones shown here are said to be unreleased and appeared on the market by the end of the 90's. I think it was Marchant Cards that had these back then. I haven't seen them for sale in a while (maybe once in the past 6-7 years).

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the #77 Ann-Margret prototype from the Hollywood Walk of Fame set (Starline, 1991). It was released among seven other prototypes but is said to have been recalled because the actress didn't like the photo used. I don't know how you recall a promo and assume that means not all of hers were released. A different photo (head shot) was used on the base card.

This card does seem to have been lesser-seen in recent years though none of them appear for sale regularly. I've seen it available only once in the past five years. It still goes for about $15 which is what it was going for in the mid-late 2000's.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
She looks fine to me.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, if you're a fan of Ann-Margret, you're probably a fan of Barbara Eden too. Here's one of the Hollywood Walk of Fame Series 2 prototypes. There are four of them, #9 Sylvester Stallone, #78 Jack Klugman, #102 Barbara Eden, and #105 Barry Manilow. They are nearly-identical to the Series 1 cards of the same numbers except the word "Hollywood" and a bit of the photo framing is in gold foil (Series 1 cards don't have any foil on the fronts). They were sent to dealers to show the minor design change for Series 2 but the set was never made. Singles come up for sale occasionally. You might have to pay $10-15 each.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I guess she's OK if you like lovely genies who grant your every wish.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
But God help you if you see her belly button!

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Some truly great promos here, thanks for the pics everyone...
I do have both the Barbera Eden and Ann Margret Hollywood Walk of Fame promos, plus a few others from that set.
Also the Galaxy Quest set is in my collection, might be able to get my hands on a few sets if anyone is keen? Metal

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one I haven't seen for sale in a couple of years. It's titled "20th Century Ltd." (The Avatar Projects, 1994) and promotes a railroad art set that didn't end up getting made. It's numbered "Intro Card #8 but it was the only promo we saw. I haven't seen many of these over the years but it doesn't seem to be in-demand.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is an oddball card (Universal Pay Television, Inc., 1990) that isn't super-rare but maybe uncommon enough to qualify for this thread. It's weird because promotes not just the popular movie "Field of Dreams" but also the pay-per-view service back in the days when pay-per-view was new.

In the late 90's, there was a rumor that there was another variation of this card (different back) but I haven't seen one. This card isn't always available but still sells in the $10-15 range.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
"IF YOU PRINT A PARALLEL, AND THEN A PARALLEL OF A PARALLEL, SET, THEY WILL BUY IT!"

"Eh! Who's there! (whirling around and looking everywhere) Who said that!"

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's Prototype 02 from a 7-card set produced by Cornerstone Communications in 1998. There were five cards numbered 01-05 with differently-colored back border variants for two of them. These cards promote a set that was never made and these prototypes were never officially released, appearing on the market only after the company shut down.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
PCE2008 lists these four unnumbered "Tekchrome" (foil) cards associated with the "World War II: A Grateful Nation Remembers" set (Cardz, 1994). The four other ones shown here are said to be unreleased and appeared on the market by the end of the 90's.

Despite looking for any others for decades, I think these are the only 4 that CARDZ did foil promos for.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Were these released by Cardz? I was under the impression that these 4 appeared after the company stopped making cards.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the 4-card lenticular set (DC Comics, 1997) promoting the movie, "Batman and Robin." They are dual-image lenticulars measuring 2 1/8 x 2 1/2 inches. The source of these is not known even though they have the Kellogg's logo on the backs which would ordinarily indicate a cereal insert. At least one dealer has said they were unreleased. They are not often seen for sale. Here's the checklist:

1 of 4 (Batgirl/Barbara Gordon)
2 of 4 (Dr. Fries)
3 of 4 (Batman/Batmobile)
4 of 4 (Poison Ivy)

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a scan of the nine Vapor cards with the puzzle pieces in place. You can find pictures of the packs but not always the cards:

quote:
Originally posted by Joe McKinney:
It looks like that VW promo pack says Vapor, not Viper. Vapor and Reflex are probably the names of the colors on the cars (as in Vapor Blue and Reflex Yellow). VW uses some creative names for the New Beetle colors. I have a 2004 New Beetle brochure which includes colors like Sundown Orange, Mellow Yellow, and Harvest Moon. This catalog also lists a Reflex Silver.

I know VW has done cards for several models, including the New Beetle, although I do not have any of these myself. I have a VW Jetta, and whenever I go to the dealer for service I always check for trading cards. So far I have not found any.