Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I just looked at my card and it is defintely red as in the scan so I have to assume the other card is either more orange or it's just the way the scan turned out.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Jess

Looking at your previous post regarding the Batman/Grendel Heroes Aren't Hard to Find promo, your scan shows a lot of red in the image on the back whereas the latest scan shows orange instead of the red. Is this a fault at your end or on the original scan. I mention it in case people think it's a variant.

regards

John

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Getting back to those Marilyn Monroe prototypes (Private Collection, 1994), here are 4 of the 5 unnumbered cards of the subset of prototypes that PCE2008 has documented as "Group 6." These cards each bear a gold foil outer border and green inner bordering on the front with a green border around a black-and-white photo on the back. I have never seen the full gold/green subset for sale but have seen four offered as a lot 2-3 times in the past several years (asking price was around $100 for the lot - not sure if they sold). I don't recall if it was the same four cards as shown here so I don't know if one card is rarer than the others.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many thanks Jess

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo printed on card stock for "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace." It directly promotes a preview guide for the movie that was in the Orange County Register (newspaper) the Sunday before the movie came out in 1999. It wasn't inserted with a newspaper. There was one in each newspaper box that day.

Many here remember what a big deal that was - the first Star Wars movie in 16 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card that has the same front as the commonly seen Marvel Universe III (Impel, 1992) #1 card stamped "PROTOTYPE" on the back but this one isn't stamped as a prototype. Instead it has the Comic Buyer's Guide Price Guide logo stamped on the back and it was inserted with an issue of that magazine. It wasn't a widely-known-about promo back then so a lot of collectors didn't learn about it until long after it was difficult to find back issues.

I hadn't seen one available in the past several years but one sold for $89.99 last Saturday (6-3-23).

I'm embedding a link to the card so it continues to show here long after the Ebay listing has expired and disappeared.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13459...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a P1 promo (Aragon Art Studio/Versicolor Productions, 2008)for artist, Robert Aragon. It has a spectra-foil front giving it a nice refractor effect. This card had a print run of just 500. If you collect monster cards, or Universal Monsters in particular, it's a must-have.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
This is the video promo card from the Dart BSG set from '96. I've been looking for one of these since I first started collecting this set in, well, 1996. Finally one turned up on Ebay and I jumped on it! You'd think they would be pretty common, but I suspect that many who bought the videos (and the models) simply tossed them out...

I guess image hosting isn't so easy as it used to be... Anyway, it shows 2 Cylons- one facing you with laser rifle ready to fire, another Cylon to the right with his back turned with some other target in mind

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Komodo,

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's an image of it in this thread. I remember it being hard to find back then but not expensive if you kept your eyes open for it. I think a lot of collectors who got the card with the model did hang onto it so it hasn't recirculated like so many other cards and the number of model kits might not have been as large as that of Star Trek or some of the World War II planes. But yeah, I'm sure some collectors did unload at least part of their collections in the last 15 years. Some people might have acquired it in a lot without knowing that it's rare. It's a cool-looking card.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....317030596#1317030596

quote:
Originally posted by Komodo:
This is the video promo card from the Dart BSG set from '96. I've been looking for one of these since I first started collecting this set in, well, 1996. Finally one turned up on Ebay and I jumped on it! You'd think they would be pretty common, but I suspect that many who bought the videos (and the models) simply tossed them out...

I guess image hosting isn't so easy as it used to be... Anyway, it shows 2 Cylons- one facing you with laser rifle ready to fire, another Cylon to the right with his back turned with some other target in mind

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card I wasn't sure would be considered rare but I didn't have one back when it was new and another collector said I should show it.

It's a "Men in Black" S1 (Inkworks, 1997) which was given out in Suncoast stores. There was a Suncoast in a mall near where I lived and I used to go there pretty much every week but I didn't see the card there. It seems some collectors did find it at a store but others had to buy it secondhand.

As I recall, it wasn't easy to find but you could hunt one down if you wanted it and it wasn't expensive. PCE2008 has it at $5 but I think it went for more like $25 for a time before that. Today, it's more like a $10-20 card.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Komodo
posted Hide Post
WOW!
I had just about given up on this card, thinking it was just something of a snipe hunt. Thanks for posting!!

Posts: 1206 | Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: June 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are a pair of promos that the Champs company sent out to dealers and distributors in 1992. It was a rather elaborate gift in that the cards bear embossed images (Santa Claus, and for some reason, Dracula) with silver foil borders on the front. Only 1250 of each was printed - a low run for the time. The two cards were slipped into top loaders that were specially-printed with the Champs logo in silver foil as well.

The cards and top loaders were sent in a special 5 1/4 x 8-inch envelope with the Champs logo embossed in silver foil on the front. The top loaders had small Velcro-patches on the back that matched up to small Velcro patches inside the envelope - an unusual-but-effective way to secure the cards.

By the late 90's, these two cards were collector's items sought after by promo collectors in particular but also by those who liked motorcycle/transportation-related trading cards. At their peak around 20 years ago, you might have paid $30 each for them when you could find them for sale. These days, you might find the pair for $20 or less and you might even get them in the Champs envelope.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 6 of the 20 prototypes from the "Rap Pack set (Premier Cards, 1991). They were originally issued together in a cello-pack but that's a tough find now. Sellers tend to offer singles of the better-known artists (Ice T, Ice Cube) and want a lot for them.

Back in the 90's, you could find the prototype pack for $20-30 (a lot back then) but you'd be lucky to find it for less than $100 now.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
loving dracula on his bike. Thumb Up

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's that hardly-ever-seen David Blaine promo that gets occasionally talked-about. You can't see it in the scan but it has holographic and embossed lettering on the front. No one seems to know where nor how it was distributed.

It's hard to put a value on it. PCE2008 has it at $10 so maybe it was easier to find back then but I've seen it for sale just once since and I think the seller wanted hundreds of dollars for it. That seems like the crazy price. $25-50 seems more like where it would land in an auction.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scan. I had a low-res image of the front, but nothing on the back.

Is this your card? I don't suppose I have anything you'd want in trade for it?

The other magic-related promo card I'm seeking is one from 1987 by Showtime for their Penn & Teller special "Invisible Thread".

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's that hardly-ever-seen David Blaine promo that gets occasionally talked-about. You can't see it in the scan but it has holographic and embossed lettering on the front. No one seems to know where nor how it was distributed.

It's hard to put a value on it. PCE2008 has it at $10 so maybe it was easier to find back then but I've seen it for sale just once since and I think the seller wanted hundreds of dollars for it. That seems like the crazy price. $25-50 seems more like where it would land in an auction.

Should hit him up on Twitter, see if he has any recollection of it. Heck, he may have boxes of them in his closet.

And that Penn & Teller card is AWESOME - I've never seen it before!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

It was on ebay a couple of years ago. I didn't see it until after the auction closed, but it was gotten by a friend of mine who has what is probably the biggest collector of P&T memorabilia around. He's gotten lots of stuff from them, from former managers, from their former partner in the Asparagus Valley Cultural Society. (This is the current owner, on "Fool Us":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGGcCgSmoO4 )

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No, it's not mine. Another friend sent me scans. Yeah, why not try contacting him? If he has any, he might sign it too.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Thanks for the scan. I had a low-res image of the front, but nothing on the back.

Is this your card? I don't suppose I have anything you'd want in trade for it?

The other magic-related promo card I'm seeking is one from 1987 by Showtime for their Penn & Teller special "Invisible Thread".

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:

It was on ebay a couple of years ago. I didn't see it until after the auction closed, but it was gotten by a friend of mine who has what is probably the biggest collector of P&T memorabilia around. He's gotten lots of stuff from them, from former managers, from their former partner in the Asparagus Valley Cultural Society. (This is the current owner, on "Fool Us":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGGcCgSmoO4 )

Cool! I'm a fan, too. Seen them I think 5 times now - just took my daughter to see them recently. I had them sign a drawing I did a long time ago back when they still did meet & greets after shows.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
No, it's not mine. Another friend sent me scans. Yeah, why not try contacting him? If he has any, he might sign it too.

I got this signed in person at a show he did here in Huntsville a few years ago.