Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nice card but it drives me nuts when they write Limited Edition on something but do not say what it is limited to.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Limited to as many as we can print before we run out of paper and ink."

Posts: 2200 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In this case, it does appear to have been very limited. PCE2008 has a picture of the card and that was the only time I'd seen it other than one being for sale recently.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Nice card but it drives me nuts when they write Limited Edition on something but do not say what it is limited to.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For years, the source of this card was a mystery to most. It's a cool-looking, standard-sized 3D lenticular featuring the Hulk (Action Corporate Services, Inc., 2003) and apparently the only card in the set. A few years ago, I noticed it in the packaging of the "Action 2004 Bobby Labonte 1/64 #18 Interstate Batteries die-cast car." When you look at the plastic packaging, there's no mention of a card included and it seems to blend in with the packaging so it's easily overlooked. I get the feeling many who took the car out didn't notice the card and it got thrown away with the plastic.

I don't see the card offered separately on the market. The car has some collector value unopened so you might have a hard time finding one online for less than $20. I found mine at a flea market for $3-4 so that would be my hunting ground in your area.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another standard-sized 3D lenticular that was inserted with a special die-cast car. This one (Action Corporate Services, Inc., 2003) promotes the movie, "T3," the third one in "The Terminator" series. It was inserted with the Action 2003 Jamie McMurray 1/64 #42 Havoline die-cast car. Card back lists distributors of the company's products. As with the Hulk card, the packaging offers no indication that a card is include and the card seems to blend in with the packaging so many might have been thrown away unknowingly. There was at least one other T3 card as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the 6-card Disneyland Fact Card set (Disney, undated). Each one promotes a Disneyland-related point of interest and you could get each card only at the location it promotes and only for a short time.

I wouldn't have known about these if it weren't for a Disneyana dealer who would come up north for a big collectibles show in San Mateo back in the late 90's and into the 2000's. He always had a nice selection of cards including oddball promos like these. He never had them all at one time but I was able to complete the set after seeing him at maybe 3-4 shows. The one that was hardest to get for me was the one with Disneyland Castle but I don't know any one of them was printed in smaller numbers than the others.

I'm reasonably sure this is the full set as listed in PCE2008 because I haven't even heard of a rumor of another card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Back in February, I posted a scan of the "Valeria the She-Bat" promo which is numbered "12" in the 29-card Continuity Comics set (Continuity Comics, 1993). This card, "Shaman," is numbered "13" and features a holo-foil front. It's the rarest card in the set - found in only 1 out of 50 issues. A dealer ordering 50 issues also received one of these.

I have heard this card wasn't that hard to find back in the 2000's, because despite its relative rarity, the comics had a big print run. However, in the past 10 or so years, it hasn't come up for sale very often. For a while about 5-6 years ago, there was a dealer who had a number of the "Valeria the She-Bat" promos for sale - the second rarest card in the set - but he didn't have any of the "Shaman" cards.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the Heroes Convention promo (Heroes Aren't Hard to Find, 1993) that was given out at the 1993 Heroes Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina. The convention is still going. This year's was just last weekend.

This card celebrates Cerberus, itself a long-running comic book series. It's not an easy card to find these days.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another Heroes Convention promo but this one was given out at the 1994 one in Charlotte, North Carolina. I thought "Duel" was a comic series but I couldn't find any information on it. The card is rarely seen for sale these days.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Another Heroes Convention promo but this one was given out at the 1994 one in Charlotte, North Carolina. I thought "Duel" was a comic series but I couldn't find any information on it. The card is rarely seen for sale these days.

It might be a from a comic that never came out from Event Comics. Jackson "Butch" Guice is well known conic artist.
http://perez.comicbookseries.i...t-trading-cards-1994

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right. I found a lot of information about Jackson Guice but nothing about Duel. I wondered if it might have been a one-shot comic but even something like that shows up somewhere especially when it's connected to a well-known artist.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Right. I found a lot of information about Jackson Guice but nothing about Duel. I wondered if it might have been a one-shot comic but even something like that shows up somewhere especially when it's connected to a well-known artist.

It might be one that was planned and never came out. It seems to have been planned to come out from Event Comics.

If you check out the Creators Universe card set from Dynamic, you'll see plenty of characters that appeared in comics (by Jim Starlin, Frank Miller, Art Adams, GIl Kane, etc...) and many, many more that didn't.
http://www.nslists.com/creauni.htm

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did they only do these Heroes Aren't Hard to Find con cards for a few years in the mid-90s ? I wonder how many they did and when they stopped doing them

Posts: 3995 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists two cards (Elfquest: Fantasy with Teeth Tour, Hellstorm: Prince of Lies) from 1993 and three that are undated (Batman/Grendel, Hellstorm, Mr. T and the T-Force) that might be from 1994. There's also a separately-listed Cerberus card from 1993 (shown above). There was an oversized Hulk card from 2003 that appears to have been a postcard to announce the show. Other than the just-noted oversized card, these Heroes cards are hard to find.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Did they only do these Heroes Aren't Hard to Find con cards for a few years in the mid-90s ? I wonder how many they did and when they stopped doing them

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists a "Penny Dreadful and the Pillar of Ice" P1 (Ground Zero Comics, 1997) that was given out at the 1997 Motor City Comic Con. It wasn't hard to find in the ten years after its release but it's a rare sight these days.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a promo (Todd McFarlane Productions, Inc., 1994) I hadn't seen in a while. It was recently for sale and it's for "Todd McFarlane's Spawn," a trading card set that was planned but later cancelled. PCE2008 says it was given out at conventions but it became hard-to-find by the early 2000's and rarely-seen for sale these days.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the P01 promo, "Dr. Phobic," for the Creator's Edition Skybox Master Series set (Skybox, 1994) which is also called the "Creator's Master Series" by some collectors. It was originally available only in a promo pack given out at the Capital City Retailer Conference and bears a show stamp on the back on the lower right corner.

It's a rare card these days but longtime promo collectors have it already so it's been sitting at about a $10-15 level since the late 90's and there doesn't seem to be a discernable demand for it now. It's just not a familiar face for people just getting into the hobby. It is a spooky-looking card so some of the new kids might spring for it because of that and maybe because it is a rare, old-school promo.

As a side note, the other cards in the promo pack were a header card (one of the blank-backed Skybox release schedule cards), a Lion King S1, a Simpsons II P1 and P2, a random base card from Seaquest DSV, an unnumbered USA Basketball: NBA Update card, Ultraverse Edition: Skybox Master Series P01 "Book" with Capital City stamp on the back, and a DC Master Series C1 "Doomsday" with Capital City stamp in color on the back. The Simpsons II P1, an apparent pack exclusive along with the header and the ones with show stamps, has become a rather valuable card as one sold for $69.99 last month and for $114.94 early this year.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Wow, I always wondered where that Skybox Simpsons Series II P1 card (known to Simpson card collectors as "Comin' At Ya!") came from, and now I do, specifically, thanks!

Simpsons promos were on fire that convention season. At the Diamond Retailers (Capital City competitor) Summit in Baltimore, another Simpsons Series II promo, the P4 "Dupe Dipkin Stats on Back" card was issued in limited numbers. Long considered a rare card, it has sold for hundreds of dollars.

Pretty unusual that in this 4 card promo set, P1 and P4 can have triple digit value, but the two in between, P2 and P3, were voluminously distributed, and might sell for a buck each on a good day.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the P4 is perhaps a scarcer card now. I hardly ever see it. The P1 seemed to take more time to be considered rare. Maybe more of the cards from the Capital City conference went into the market than the P4 for some random reason. I think the Capital City conference was in St. Louis that year.

I've noticed the B1 "Willy the Dupe Dipkin" has been selling for $35-50 this year though it isn't that rare. I think some collectors thought they were getting the rare "Dipkin" and don't know about the P4 because it's seldom for sale (maybe once every couple of years, if that). Because so many have gone after it, the going-rate rose on the rather common one. You can find a sealed comic with the card rather cheaply even now.

Right, the P2 was given out elsewhere too and the P3 was a general distribution promo so those are still rather easy to find.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have shown this before but here is the back of P4

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post