Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardscout,

I haven't heard nor seen any orange border cards. PCE2008 lists 8 different cards but Promoking once reported that he has 13 different (the 8 listed plus 5 others - none with an orange border). I'm not sure but I think he once said during last year's Zoom meeting that at least one of the other cards he had is a non-foil variant of one of the gold foil border cards listed in PCE2008.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
Nice X=Files promo Cats... any chance anyone here has a set or can point me to a thread, featuring the Bob Marley promos from Island Vibes but with an orange border..? I've often heard about these but never seen them... Thanks in advance Wavey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I had heard about an X-Men/Hanes card promotion from the 90's but I didn't see a card nor the set until last week. What I've read is that it's a 3-card set and you could get one of them per package of Hanes boy's underwear back in 1993. Some parents complained that the artwork of the female superheroes was too sexy for boys to be getting so the company had stores send back any remaining stock and the underwear was repackaged with less provocative artwork. The cards are oversized at 3 x 6 inches.

I've heard that these cards used to sell for up to $50 each but sellers have been trying to get $100 or more in recent months.

Edit: The three cards sold in separate auctions with Best Offers less than $75 (12-28-21) so they probably went for $65 each +/-$5.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jess... I could well be mistaken about those Orange Border Bob Marley promos, it was 15-20 years ago I heard about them, possibly from Glenn Leonard. Was just hoping someone had a set so we could all see a scan, cheers. Thumb Up

Posts: 707 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the two prototype cards for the Yo! MTV Raps card set (Pro Set, 1991). They were sent to dealers in 9-card promo packs that also included 7 promos for the SuperStars MusiCards set (most of the unnumbered ones). These two have different fronts but have the same back which says, "Prototype For Review Only." The promo pack doesn't seem to have been as widely-distributed as some of the other Pro Set promos so these cards are uncommon and seldom seen for sale these days. I haven't seen one available for a few years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo featuring the immortal Bettie Page that was given out at Glamourcon 4 back in 1995. Glamourcon was a biannual convention devoted to pin-up art. It started in 1993 and had its last show around 2013. PCE2008 lists two other Bettie Page promos from previous years and it shows a picture of the 1993 one. All three are hard to find now.

Glamourcon used to have one show in Los Angeles and one in Chicago every year. One year around 2000, they tried out a show in Palo Alto, CA which was not far from where I lived so I checked it out. Dealers were selling mostly pin-up photos, calendars, posters, original art/prints, and trading cards but they had other entertainment memorabilia as well. I was looking for the early Glamourcon promos but didn't find any except for three "Betty Page Illustrated" (Topps) promos that were a Glamourcon exclusive in '94.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the DVD2 promo card that is considered part of the "Battlestar Galactica Premiere Edition" set (Rittenhouse Archives, 2005). It was one of three cards randomly inserted in specially-marked DVD's at the time. It's hard-to-find now.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a shot of 18 cards from the 20-card "All Stars of Sound" promo set. I can't read the fine print but Promoking noted it as from 2003 in the PCE additions/corrections thread several years ago.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is a promo from the 29-card Continuity Comics set (Continuity Comics, 1993) with 27 of the numbered cards randomly inserted in sealed issues. This #12 card, "Valeria the She-Bat," by Neal Adams could be found in only 1 per 25 issues. A dealer ordering 25 issues also received an extra one. It features a holo-foil front and is the second rarest card in the set.

I didn't see this card available locally in the late 90's to 2000's. I had seen a number of issues of the comic but they had the more common cards. Around 2015 there was a dealer who had several of these for sale and at a bargain price ($3-5) and he sold out. He didn't have the rarest card in the set, the elusive "Shaman."

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
This is a promo from the 29-card Continuity Comics set (Continuity Comics, 1993) with 27 of the numbered cards randomly inserted in sealed issues. This #12 card, "Valeria the She-Bat," by Neal Adams could be found in only 1 per 25 issues. A dealer ordering 25 issues also received an extra one. It features a holo-foil front and is the second rarest card in the set.

I didn't see this card available locally in the late 90's to 2000's. I had seen a number of issues of the comic but they had the more common cards. Around 2015 there was a dealer who had several of these for sale and at a bargain price ($3-5) and he sold out. He didn't have the rarest card in the set, the elusive "Shaman."

So this one looked familiar and I got out my binder. I have a similar promo marked PR5 with the Valeria She Bat front that was definitely available in the 90's in my area, because that's the only period in which I was picking up Neal Adams' autographs.

I have 2 Shaman and Hybrids base cards signed by Adams and Peter Stone. I have the signed PR5 and 3 Jaguarundi cards signed by Adams. Two of those are numbered to #7500 and look like pack inserts, the 3rd has no number and may be in-person.

I was getting my non-sport autographed comic cards in the 90s from the only dealer I knew who specialized in them and he told me who was good. The artists really promoted their work in those years and a lot of this signed stuff, officially certified from packs or just in-person, is all over eBay. Most are fairly cheap.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Your PR5 is probably from a 5-card subset of Deathwatch 2000 cards (PR1-PR5) that were inserted individually in various Continuity Comics (also available in the factory set with all the base cards). I don't know the Jaguarundi card signed and numbered of 7500 beyond just hearing about it but it was a random insert in packs of Deathwatch 2000. Todd Jordan noted that in his "The Encyclopedia of Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Cards."

That third Jaguarundi card must be the unnumbered promo that Allender lists.

Yeah, some artists have signed a lot of base cards and promos at shows.

Edit: I have a 5-card promo pack that appears to contain PR1-PR5 (PR4 seems to be on top with PR5 showing on the back) and assume this may be how they inserted in the factory set and/or they were given to some dealers this way.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE2008 lists an "Inspector Gadget" 3-card promo set given out only at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood, CA back when the movie was released in 1999. The cards promote the movie and a live stage show. Unlike the "Totally Toy Story" promo pack given out at the theater in 1995, this set was hard-to-find on the market then and still is today.

posted Hide Post
I've never seen these before! I would collect these in a heartbeat. ❤️

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
This is one of the most intriguing promo card sets I've run across. It's very original in its design and illustrations. I agree with jess that the movie has acquired a cult like following probably accounting for the renewed interest in all things Ninth Gate.

quote:
Here are 8 of the card fronts from the 10-card "The Ninth Gate" set (Artisan Entertainment) which promotes the movie of the same name released in 1999. One of the cards shows the cover of a rare 17th century book that figures prominently in the movie. The other nine depict engravings shown in that book that are also seen in the movie. It's interesting that someone decided to show the engravings rather than scenes from the movie in the cards but maybe someone thought people who saw it might want to have some way to look for clues later and that might create some word-of-mouth and lead to repeat viewings.

It is an unique-looking set with the medieval-type artwork and pastel-colored backgrounds.

Posts: 71 | Location: Province of Quebec | Registered: March 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's one that wasn't rare in the late 90's. It's the "All Superman All Joe Jusko" promo card. It promotes a set that didn't end up getting made. As the title indicates, Joe Jusko was going to do all the art. He signed and numbered 2000 of the promos and gave them out at the 1995 San Diego Comic-Con. He gave out some that were not numbered and signed as well (he crossed through the blank space where the serial numbering goes in pen). The card measures 5 x 7 inches and is blank-backed.

I've tried finding a price for one of these for a couple of years now but haven't seen a sale. One was for sale a couple of years ago.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the #9 card, "Bald Eagle," from the World Wildlife Fund set (Johnson & Johnson, 19997). These are lenticular motion cards that were attached to bottles of shampoo back then. For some reason, it has been easier to find cards 1-5 than 6-10.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a rare variant of the Mortal Kombat D1 promo card (Classic Games, 1994). The regular D1 is blank toward the middle right edge. This one has a show stamp for the Capital City Retailer Conference and was given out at that show.

One of these sold recently for $300 on January 29, 2022 with 6 bids (4 different bidders) after a starting bid of $49.99. It was more like a $10-15 card. It would be interesting to see if another one would go for that much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31384...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's an image of the front and back for after the auction expires.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I was flipping through one of my binders and came across this uncut nine-card sheet of the 1996 Marvel Onslaught 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 lenticular cards.Anyone have any idea if this is rare or not?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't see another one for sale and don't see a sale in the past 3 months so that gives the impression that it's at least uncommon and an unusual find - something an avid collector of the set would want to have. Did you find it at a show?

I'm sometimes surprised by some uncut sheets I see - sheets of oddball cards that are limited chase cards, product inserts or event giveaways. I guess it's about being in the right place at the right time, employees/friends given oddball stuff like that because they've shown an interest.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I bought it at a card show back in the 90s.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another rare variant of the Mortal Kombat D1 promo card (Classic Games, 1994). The regular D1 is blank toward the middle right edge. This one has a show stamp for the 1994 Diamond Annual Retailers Seminar and was given out at that show.

I haven't seen one of this variant sell in years.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I hadn't seen one of these sell in years but one went for $39.99 on March 25.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13405...rksid=p2047675.l2557

quote:
This is an unnumbered promo card with the designation, "CIWTB." It promotes the Thunderbirds Movie Trading Cards set (Cards Inc, 2004). Many of you will remember that it was a special card because it was only obtainable by signing up on Card Talk and also through mailaway offer in NSU. It was also a special card because only 200 were made. Thanks again to Darren Epstein and Cards Inc. for thinking of doing something special for members of Card Talk back in the early days of the forum.

There was actually a long thread about this card just before and after it was released:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4453/m/505106415/p/1