Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I pulled all my photos from Photobucket and started using Imgur. However, I can not blame Photobucket for charging a fee. They are doing a service, after all. But like most people, I want something for nothing, so I moved to Imgur. I have not been updating my sketch card pictures because of low replies, so there seems little interest in them.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Cardaddict,

On another forum (fossil collecting) there was a discussion about possibly locking old threads. I was relatively new to that forum then but I disagreed with the idea because I was going through the old threads and started replying to some of the questions that had gone unanswered and identified some specimens that were left as mysteries. It was decided to keep them unlocked.

I have also gone through old threads here and was sorry to read that many have been deleted (lost information) though I understand the reason. I went through the sketches yesterday. There's a lot of great stuff and I'm more familiar with who some of the best sketch card artists are now though many go beyond a quick pen/pencil style (which I like too) and provide a thoughtful, full-color portrait capturing a movie moment or original action pose.

I have noticed that I am not the only one who goes through old threads just to see what's there. If there is a feeling out there that nobody cares about the "old stuff," I will go back and comment on some of the sketches I do see. Maybe the still-active members like you will update at least a few of the lost links if they see there actually is interest.

Imgur and Pinterest still do it for free and Microsoft does it for free with One Drive (or whatever it's called). I don't know how they profit from providing "free parking" but maybe it's like that that old SNL skit about the bank that only makes change and stays in business through volume alone.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I pulled all my photos from Photobucket and started using Imgur. However, I can not blame Photobucket for charging a fee. They are doing a service, after all. But like most people, I want something for nothing, so I moved to Imgur. I have not been updating my sketch card pictures because of low replies, so there seems little interest in them.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I can't even find my sketch card picture post. Was it deleted or am I looking in the wrong place?

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thoughtofyou13times
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I have posted here. I am sad to see so many of the original pictures lost to time . I know I have always enjoyed a lot of what has been shared over the years and that so many places have archived those posts and information. Glad they haven't completed deleted it all. Also to get back to some of the rarer promos here are the Rare DC Bloodlines No Logo No Number Promos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thoughtofyou13times,

Posts: 46 | Location: Sun Shine State of Mind | Registered: March 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's promo gold right there. I don't know how many promo packs I have checked in search of those, even reaching the point where I wondered if they truly existed. Thanks for posting those.

quote:
Originally posted by thoughtofyou13times:
It has been a while since I have posted here. I am sad to see so many of the original pictures lost to time . I know I have always enjoyed a lot of what has been shared over the years and that so many places have archived those posts and information. Glad they haven't completed deleted it all. Also to get back to some of the rarer promos here are the Rare DC Bloodlines No Logo No Number Promos.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Jess,

I have those Bloodlines without the logos, but I have absolutely no idea where I obtained them from. It would have been over 20 years ago.

Wasn't there some speculation that they may have come with a signed Superman comic, circa 1994, that may have been exclusive through Dynamic Forces ? Some kind of a $ 20 deal ? I don't know why it sticks in my head, that these cards were DF related.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Oh, that's promo gold right there. I don't know how many promo packs I have checked in search of those, even reaching the point where I wondered if they truly existed. Thanks for posting those.

You are welcome. Yes they do exist I have 3 sets of these two still sealed. I have been an avid collector of almost everything DC for a long time now.

quote:
Originally posted by thoughtofyou13times:

Posts: 46 | Location: Sun Shine State of Mind | Registered: March 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Jess,

I have those Bloodlines without the logos, but I have absolutely no idea where I obtained them from. It would have been over 20 years ago.

Wasn't there some speculation that they may have come with a signed Superman comic, circa 1994, that may have been exclusive through Dynamic Forces ? Some kind of a $ 20 deal ? I don't know why it sticks in my head, that these cards were DF related.

These were not circulated from Dynamics Forces. They came in a sealed pack of comics that was very limited and contained TPB and later prints of superman comics. These are the rarest version and not to be confused with the No Logo Numbered version. There are TONS of the Logo Numbered and almost as many of the No Logo Numbered versions.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
OK, yes, that is probably where I got them from.

However, I should mention that I have also seen for sale a set of 4 promos, signed and numbered, with a Dynamic Forces certificate of authenticity. They come mounted in a black folder. However, I have only seen a scan of these, and I have no idea what the backs of the cards look like...The set was limited to 1993

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David R:
OK, yes, that is probably where I got them from.

However, I should mention that I have also seen for sale a set of 4 promos, signed and numbered, with a Dynamic Forces certificate of authenticity. They come mounted in a black folder. However, I have only seen a scan of these, and I have no idea what the backs of the cards look like...The set was limited
[QUOTE]

Yes Dynamic Forces did have some signed promos for the Bloodlines set here are the various versions for them and The Return of Superman. The Bloodlines are the regular logo numbered version.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are a few cards from the hardly ever seen Boeing set that was given out in 1999. The cards were in mini-boxes with each containing 8 cards: 1 header, a "Locations" card, and 6 random cards. I have seen two different headers: one with a red/blue left border; the other with a gold foil left border. The "Locations" card is always the same as far as I could tell. The random cards have photos or artwork of aircraft, spacecraft, or equipment on the front and background text on the back.

I picked up four boxes while at the Boeing booth at a job fair for several hours in San Jose, CA in 1999. At the time I had no idea if they were being given out at other events. I've tried to find more of them just to get an idea of the set number but haven't seen any for sale or trade in over fifteen years. I asked Rod Motonaga about them about twenty years ago, figuring he would have more information since he was both a former Boeing employee and a collector of the various cards the company had created over the years, but he hadn't heard of these. Rod passed away in 2017.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Very sad about Rod. I didn't know. We have lost so many awesome collectors in the last 5 years either through their passing or in their no longer being interested in collecting promo cards. The real damage to the world of promos is the loss, perhaps forever, of the collective knowledge these people had.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: promoking,

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

Yeah, Rod was a good guy. I talked to him on the phone a couple of times over the years. He was very knowledgeable about all kinds of cards. I bought a number of cards from him and we traded too. He always had an interesting assortment of promos and small manufacturer sets as well as the latest releases.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Very sad about Rod. I didn't know. We have lost so many awesome collectors in the last 5 years either through their passing or in their no longer being interested in collecting promo cards. The real damage to the world of promos is the loss, perhaps forever, of the collective knowledge these people had.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is promo card 3 of 4 for the Wild West card set (1994). I picked it up early in my promo collecting and realized its rarity after trying to find the other cards in the set. I've never even seen those and haven't seen another one of this card since then.

Meanwhile, the promos and prototypes for another Collectible Imagery set, Rare and Endangered Species, are easier to find. The two prototypes are harder to find than the four promos.

Jess

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a show promo I haven't seen lately. It's the Knight Wolf and Sister Death promo given out at the Heroes Con in 1994.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Answering the call only 16 years later, here's the 1993 Bike Week 4-card promo set. I hardly ever see it for sale so it does seem to be rare. It might have been a show promo somewhere or it might have just been sent to some dealers.

quote:
Originally posted by Card Master:
Hi All

Here is a 1993 Bike Week #2 of 4 promo card.
I cant find this promo card set in any book or guide
Help
What does the rest of the set look like ???
How was it given out ?????
Here is a pic of the front and back of card

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
About a month ago before these pictures were put up
I saw a set of these cards up for sale on the bay I do not know if it sold or not.
I considered putting them on my watch list but let them go I think i purchased another set of motorcycle cards from the same seller but can not seem to find it but will keep on trying and if I can pick it up or the seller I will come back on it
It was not expensive

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
During construction of Disneyland's California Adventure in the late 90's, Disneyland visitors had to park in temporary lots and take a shuttle. To help them find their lot, they were given trading cards with maps on the backs. There was a card for each of the 5 parking sections: The Lion King Parking Lots, Pinocchio, Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa. The "Pumbaa Section" was the 5th lot and was open only on unusually busy days. Because that section was not always open, the Pumbaa card became the rarest one in the set.

I saw a lot of 14 cards including two Pumbaas sell for $15 in October. That was a steal. The common cards go for $2-3 each with the Pumbaa being more of a $5-10 card - cheap for how uncommon it is.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a card I haven't seen for sale in a while, the Lion King A1 promo. It doesn't have the status as a holy grail that the SB1 promo from the same set has but it has been at least somewhat scarce since its release. It has the same front as as the common S1 promo. A few years ago, I had forgotten that I had it until looking at the back.

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
S...Skybox?

SB...Super Bowl?

A...?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post