Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Responding to an ancient post, here is the 8-card set that promoted the New Beetle, Jetta, and Golf. They were in a pack given out at the 2001 North American International Auto Show. I've also seen sellers state that the packs were given out in 2000 so they might have been distributed at other shows too.

quote:
Originally posted by Joe McKinney:
It looks like that VW promo pack says Vapor, not Viper. Vapor and Reflex are probably the names of the colors on the cars (as in Vapor Blue and Reflex Yellow). VW uses some creative names for the New Beetle colors. I have a 2004 New Beetle brochure which includes colors like Sundown Orange, Mellow Yellow, and Harvest Moon. This catalog also lists a Reflex Silver.

I know VW has done cards for several models, including the New Beetle, although I do not have any of these myself. I have a VW Jetta, and whenever I go to the dealer for service I always check for trading cards. So far I have not found any.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

I have been meaning to reply to this topic of "The Artwork of Joe Devito" unnumbered prototypes because I have a few of them and can provide scans. It appears that there were images linked before but the links are broken now.

Has anyone confirmed that there were only 50 of each prototype made? They are certainly seldom-seen and I've seen them offered for sale only a few times in the past several years. The additional cool thing is that Devito signed most/nearly all of them. Another rare example of a promo autograph card. The backs of the prototypes are all the same.

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Card Master, those Joe DeVito promos are some of MY "holy grails." They are tough to find.

I have only 2 of them-- the red one on the bottom left and the one with the woman and the robot on the right in your second row.

Two of the others popped up on ebay in August (the one with the woman's face and the one on the top row, left) Unfortunately, I saw them after the auctions ended. Frown First and only time I have seen them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's a rare variant of the Mortal Kombat D1 promo card (Classic Games, 1994). The regular D1 is blank toward the middle right edge. This one has a show stamp for the Capital City Retailer Conference and was given out at that show.

One of these sold recently for $300 on January 29, 2022 with 6 bids (4 different bidders) after a starting bid of $49.99. It was more like a $10-15 card. It would be interesting to see if another one would go for that much.

[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/313840944576?

hash=item491260c5c0%3Ag%3AXRYAAOSwwHZh4NQF&nma=true&si=U8j4zFy88RsYn8u4L8iA15MriKI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557]https://www.ebay.com/itm/31384...rksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]

Here's an image of the front and back for after the auction expires.

I won this auction. & it certainly isn't a $10-$15 card!

I was part of a group that collected MK cards for close to 20 years.

Mortal Kombat Series II was incredibly difficult to complete. With the extremely limited print run & the 25 Finishing Move Cards that came @ 1/48 (1-Per-Box). I have some notes up on TCDB.com for that set.

As far as the D1 Capital Retailer, i found 2 within the last year on eBay (after around 18 years without even seeing what the card looked like). I paid around $200 for the first one. The second, my friend from USA bid on it for me. If you double back you will see that it was a split finish between my friend & another bidder. My max was $300 & my friend put in the bid 1 second prior to the other $300 bid!

There's another less scarce version of Sonya's D1 (Diamond Seminar). I have 4 of those.

Most scarce MK cards are (In this order)

MKI Sonya D1 Capital Retailer
MKII Finishing Move #6 Kitana Knock-Off
MKII Finishing Move #7 Mileena Man-Eater

For some reason most of us in the group were left with FMs 6/7s to complete as i guess they were short printed vs the other FM cards in the set.

Anyway, that's that Big Grin

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Here's another rare variant of the Mortal Kombat D1 promo card (Classic Games, 1994). The regular D1 is blank toward the middle right edge. This one has a show stamp for the 1994 Diamond Annual Retailers Seminar and was given out at that show.

I haven't seen one of this variant sell in years.

Ah i didn't see this posting prior to my initial response. This card is worth around $50-$75 range (many years ago). Could well sell for over $100 in the current market, but who knows.

Just to quote you again here ...

$300 for another Capital Retailer ...

"It would be interesting to see if another one would go for that much."

I believe around $300+, depending if i bump into that other bidder again that must be gritting their teeth @ losing in the manner they did.

Unless it was a last second Shill-Bid, in which case the joke's on me lol!

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: March 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At least one Capital promo sold for about $5 in the early 2000's (noted in PCE2008) and I think one sold for $10-15 around 2015 but maybe that was a Diamond one. I have to admit I lost track of the going-rate after that. I have the Diamond card but not the Capital one. Thanks for the additional notes - always great to hear from someone who closely follows particular cards.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tonyz:
I won this auction. & it certainly isn't a $10-$15 card!

I was part of a group that collected MK cards for close to 20 years.

Mortal Kombat Series II was incredibly difficult to complete. With the extremely limited print run & the 25 Finishing Move Cards that came @ 1/48 (1-Per-Box). I have some notes up on TCDB.com for that set.

As far as the D1 Capital Retailer, i found 2 within the last year on eBay (after around 18 years without even seeing what the card looked like). I paid around $200 for the first one. The second, my friend from USA bid on it for me. If you double back you will see that it was a split finish between my friend & another bidder. My max was $300 & my friend put in the bid 1 second prior to the other $300 bid!

There's another less scarce version of Sonya's D1 (Diamond Seminar). I have 4 of those.

Most scarce MK cards are (In this order)

MKI Sonya D1 Capital Retailer
MKII Finishing Move #6 Kitana Knock-Off
MKII Finishing Move #7 Mileena Man-Eater

For some reason most of us in the group were left with FMs 6/7s to complete as i guess they were short printed vs the other FM cards in the set.

Anyway, that's that Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This one has been mentioned before and I thought there was a scan of it linked already but I don't see it. It's the Bone #6 "The Hooded One" promo. It isn't often seen for sale. One collector speculated that there may be as few as 25 in existence but another collector has told me there are probably more than that. The artist, Jeff Smith, is said to have given out a number of them. This card is part of a set in which all the other cards were inserted in an issue of Card Illustrated magazine back in 1994 but the #6 card wasn't. It was part of some kind of oddball promotion.

Edit: Another collector has told me since writing this post that he was told that the card was available to dealers as a magazine re-order incentive. If it was and few dealers ordered extra copies, it would explain why the card is so hard-to-find now.

One of these sold for $175 in 2018.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone has one up for sale now (10.10am in the UK) for a BIN of $295 on the usual sales site.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 rare 1991 Impel T2 Carolco Pictures Promo cards. All purchased from one seller Pr-omo-king on eBay. I'm not sure if anyone has come across many?

It promotes the theatrical release of T2 & not the card set, which i found to be quite strange. Not sure if this was a commonality amongst promo cards?

Edit: I just noticed that Promoking was the OP & this thread began in 2004. Yikes! Smile

https://picclick.com/1991-Term...rd-132347655059.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr Tonyz,

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
At least one Capital promo sold for about $5 in the early 2000's (noted in PCE2008) and I think one sold for $10-15 around 2015 but maybe that was a Diamond one. I have to admit I lost track of the going-rate after that. I have the Diamond card but not the Capital one. Thanks for the additional notes - always great to hear from someone who closely follows particular cards.

Thank you. It was my pleasure. I certainly wish i could've picked one up for $5, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Especially with nonsports cards where there are a lot of sales of unknown gems & absolute steals ...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's another Joe Devito prototype (Dynamic Forces, 1994) signed by the artist. Dynamic Forces didn't end up making a regular set. FPG bought the license and did release a set in 1995. Card #52 in that set has the same art as this prototype.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the fourth of the five "The Artwork of Joe Devito" prototypes I have or have images of. Unlike most of the ones I've seen or heard of, this one is unsigned.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the fifth of the five Joe Devito prototypes.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was sent scans of the two Blackball Comics prototypes, P01 and P02 (Skybox, 1994). Skybox ended up cancelling the set. It was reported in one of the card magazines at the time that 2500 of each of the prototypes were given out during a tour but few have appeared for sale since. They've been mentioned here and there on Card Talk but it appears no one has shown scans here before.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #9 from the 10-card "Cyberforce" promo set. You could get 9 of them in issue #5 of "Cards Illustrated" magazine in 1994. You got 3 per copy so you could get 9 of them in four issues with some luck. The complication to getting the whole set was that #9 wasn't available that way and no one seems to remember how that one was distributed - maybe a mailaway offer or magazine re-order incentive. Few collectors seem to have it now.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is card #10 from the 10-card "Extreme Studios" promo set (Cards Illustrated, 1994). You could get 9 of them in issue #3 of "Cards Illustrated" magazine in 1994 but they were 3 per issue so you had to buy at least four copies with the right combination of cards (or buy/trade for them later). However, #10 wasn't bagged with the magazine and it's still unclear how people got it. It might have been a mailaway offer but at least one collector has said it was magazine re-order incentive for dealers. If the latter, it appears few dealers ordered extra magazines because very few collectors seem to have the card now.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's card #10 from the 10-card "Wetworks" promo set (Cards Illustrated, 1994). Like the "Extreme Studios" promo set, you could get 9 of them in an issue of "Cards Illustrated" magazine in 1994 (in this case issue #2) and they were 3 per issue so you had to buy at least four copies to get them all. The source hasn't been confirmed with this one either but it seems plausible that it was a mailaway offer or a magazine re-order incentive for dealers. Over the years, it has been seen for sale maybe just a couple of times.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a subset within a larger promo set. It's the 5-card "Black Web West Coast National" set (INKS Comics, 1993). These numbered cards were given out at the West Coast National in Anaheim July 2-5, 1993) to promote the "Black Web" comic series. There is also a 5-card numbered set with the same fronts but missing the West Coast National logo on the backs - the regular promos. The source for those cards is not generally known.

Over the years and especially since the late 90's, assembling the West Coast National set has become more difficult than the regular promo set. In my case, I found most of the cards in one bargain box at one late 90's show in San Jose, CA. After that, I think I was missing just one card from both sets. It wasn't a high priority to finish them. Sometimes I'd see one of the cards offered for some crazy price like $20-25. The regular promos are $2-3 cards and the West Coast Nationals are maybe $3-5 cards with the latter being rather uncommon. It's just a matter of checking periodically. Eventually, I finished both sets. There are still two I'm missing from the whole 13-card set: an unnumbered card mentioning SDCC on the back and another unnumbered card promoting the series (not sure I've ever seen those for sale/trade).

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I knew I had some Black Web cards and when I looked them up I discovered that I had 4 out of 5 of the regular promos and all 5 signed plus #5 signed in another colour ink. The signatures are in the blank space where the West Coast logo is placed. See image below:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John,

Of the regular promos, I have the following:

1 of 5: one signed in red and one signed in blue - both by "DB..."
2 of 5: one signed in purple by the same person who signed your 2 of 5; one signed in blue by someone "RS...
3 of 3: one signed in purple by the same person who signed your 2 of 5 - looks like the name, "Elam."
4 of 5: one blank; one signed in black by "DB..."
5 of 5: one blank

I also have one West Coast National singed by "DB..." along the side of the logo on the back.

I guess it could be the new hobby within the hobby seeing if we can find each Black Web card signed in black, blue, red, and purple by the three different signers. "DB..." also didn't inscribe "93" with each signature - another variant!

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
I knew I had some Black Web cards and when I looked them up I discovered that I had 4 out of 5 of the regular promos and all 5 signed plus #5 signed in another colour ink. The signatures are in the blank space where the West Coast logo is placed. See image below:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Back in February I posted a scan of a Bettie Page promo given out at the Glamourcon 4 show in 1995. Here's one from Glamourcon 1 in 1993.