Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a promo card (Harris Publications, Inc., 2000) for the Vampirella comic book series, "Vampi" which was an artistic departure in that it was done anime-style. The card was sent only to members of the Vampirella (Scarlet Legion) fan club. The front is chromium-coated with art by Kevin Lau, Kamning Ng, and Avalon Studio.

I found it while looking through a dealer's listings a few years ago (hadn't heard of it before then).

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is an unnumbered promo card with the designation, "CIWTB." It promotes the Thunderbirds Movie Trading Cards set (Cards Inc, 2004). Many of you will remember that it was a special card because it was only obtainable by signing up on Card Talk and also through mailaway offer in NSU. It was also a special card because only 200 were made. Thanks again to Darren Epstein and Cards Inc. for thinking of doing something special for members of Card Talk back in the early days of the forum.

There was actually a long thread about this card just before and after it was released:

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4453/m/505106415/p/1

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Hurray another one i've got. He was a nice man Darren, i used to enjoy talking to him at the shows.

Show's eh?...remember those?

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
There are some names from the past in that post - I'm happy to say I have one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I too can join the club as I have one also.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's promo card A6 for the first Avengers set by Cornerstone in 1992. While promos A1 through A6 appear to have been printed in equal quantities and are the common ones from the promo set, it seems A1, A2, A4, A5, and A6 have come up for sale less often than A3, A8, and A9 in the past 10 or more years.

The truly rare ones are A7 (serial-numbered out of 100) and the A0 variant numbered out of 10. There is also a variant of A0 that is not serial-numbered and that was briefly available for sale after the company went out of business.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have the A0 --- A9 but i am missing the A7. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's promo card N-1 (Maxx Trading Cards, 1996) for the "Mask: The Animated Series" card set that was never made. Collectors could obtain this one firsthand only by filling out a survey in NSU magazine and mailing it in back in 1998. Also shown is the thank you note that NSU sent along with the card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the Jurassic Park: The Ride 6-card set available in Dairy Queen restaurants for a short time in 1996. I assume it was a one per kid's meal promotion. Shown here are 5 card fronts and 1 card back (two different Tyrannosaurus cards in the set). It promotes a ride at Universal Studios and it's a rare set. Dairy Queen isn't as well-known for its kid's meals and there are a lot fewer of them than McDonald's restaurants.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here is the front and back of a card from a "World War II War Machines" promo set (Richards Group, 1993) as well as the box the promo set was packaged in. The regular boxed set of 100 cards is serial-numbered on the box but the promo set has a stamped sticker on an end panel of the box that says "PROMO SET."

A promo set was given to a dealer who ordered two or more uncut sheets of the cards. I'm not sure I ever heard how many promos sets were printed but there may be as few as 100 of them.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
During the last online promo card meeting, a couple of Card Talk members showed some cards we hardly ever see for sale or trade anymore. I think it was Steve Saunders who showed the "Birds and Flowers" (Bon Air Collectibles/Virginia Hobby Supply, 1991) 11-card prototype set. Here's card #1 from that set. The prototypes differ from the regular cards by having "PROTOTYPE" printed in black on the fronts.

The prototype set was hard to find by the late 90's and I hadn't seen another in years until Steve showed his a couple of months ago.

Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I listed those as Stamp Cards Series One: Birds and Flowers". There is a second series of 6, Wildlife America.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

There are five different ones for this set.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the Stamp Cards listing. The set title isn't on the card but I have seen the regular factory set and went with that name.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I listed those as Stamp Cards Series One: Birds and Flowers". There is a second series of 6, Wildlife America.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have the other ones and have them on the list to scan. They all have the same year printed on them and at least two of them were received by members of the fan club with their membership packet. I think all the cards were distributed that way but don't know for sure nor do I know if they were one or more per packet over a couple of years. I've never seen anyone offer all of them at the same time but have seen sellers sell the five separately from the anime one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
quote:

There are five different ones for this set.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that those Vampi chrome cards were available through several means. I recall back in the mid 90s they came in the Vampi fan club kit which you had to purchase for a certain amount. But I also recall picking up a second set of these cards through some other source. Weren't these also pack inserts in one of the Topps Vampirella sets? If not they might have come in a comic....

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

They couldn't have been released with Topps packs because they are all dated as 2000 and Topps had just 2 sets done in 1995 (and the oversized Mastervisions set in '96). Four of the five show art from comics from 1999-2000. I don't think any were inserted with comics but it's possible. They might have been given out at certain shows too. I went to the SDCC in the late 90's to early 2000's but didn't see them there.

I have seen two different auctions in which someone was selling the contents of a fan club kit and both had one of the cards. In either case I'm not sure everything originally in the kit was what was offered.

They aren't offered for sale very often. Some sellers ask a lot for them. I think I got them all for just under $20 with shipping.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I am pretty sure that those Vampi chrome cards were available through several means. I recall back in the mid 90s they came in the Vampi fan club kit which you had to purchase for a certain amount. But I also recall picking up a second set of these cards through some other source. Weren't these also pack inserts in one of the Topps Vampirella sets? If not they might have come in a comic....

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think any were inserted with comics but it's possible.

I have a vague memory of Vampirella cards being with something called Harris Comics or is that something diffrent

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I have a vague memory of Vampirella cards being with something called Harris Comics or is that something diffrent

Harris comics were doing the Vampirella comics in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Here's a link to some covers featuring the Vampi version. https://www.comics.org/series/19468/covers/

Some of the original version with some covers by Adam Hughes, one of my favourite artists.
https://www.comics.org/series/12774/covers/

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

I don't think any were inserted with comics but it's possible.

Wolfie a big clue is the Harris Comics logo bottom left hand corner

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post