Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Card Talk's Greatest Hits    pictures of rarer promos
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pictures of rarer promos
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:

Wolfie a big clue is the Harris Comics logo bottom left hand corner

regards

John

I always knew these glasses were no good John. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, two of the promos for the "Visions of Vampirella" set by Topps were inserted with Harris Comics issues. A few of the promos for "Vampirella Gallery" also by Topps were inserted in. The cards being discussed now were made by Harris Comics and have chromium fronts. I'll try to scan the other five today but here's the one with Julie Strain on the front:

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I don't think any were inserted with comics but it's possible.

I have a vague memory of Vampirella cards being with something called Harris Comics or is that something diffrent

Posts: 4395 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I have that chromium Vampirella set in a binder with a note stating "Vampirella chrome 5-card set released week of 10-15-06.

I also have a Wizard Vampirella card with a Harris Comics logo, shown here with a plastic case containing the same 5 chromium cards with a note on the back saying "5-card set 10-06"

Posts: 2508 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that the card set which came in the Vampi fan club kit was later re released through some other means. Back in the day Harris Comics had a mail order store with exclusive variant covers on comics which you could only get by sending away for. Maybe the cards were left overs which they sent to customers. I remember somehow getting a second set and thinking oh, these were the same ones which they previously sent me

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
I got my five Vampi chromes in that San Diego collection, and knowing the former owner, I'm 90 percent confident these had to have also been made available at San Diego. As a giveaway though I dont know.

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does that mean you didn't get the anime one?

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:
I got my five Vampi chromes in that San Diego collection, and knowing the former owner, I'm 90 percent confident these had to have also been made available at San Diego. As a giveaway though I dont know.

Posts: 4395 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcetodd
posted Hide Post
All five are anime Vampi cards.

quote:
Does that mean you didn't get the anime one?

quote:
Originally posted by pcetodd:

Posts: 2362 | Location: Maine | Registered: August 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a seldom-seen 8-card promo sheet for John Deere cards (Ertl Co., JPioneer Graphics, 1993). No one seems to know whether the sheet or singles were ever distributed. It may be associated with a toy insert. It measures about 7x 10 inches.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Among promo collectors, it's well-known that The Indian Motorcycles Trading Card Company made a promo for its Series 1 set (the "Indian Chief GBA" stamped "promo" on the back) with two other promos documented by the Promo Card Encyclopedia though no one has shown nor offered one in years. The promos for Series 2 are also well-known though there is the mystery of the "Model H" hologram variant that is blank where the serial-number is on the chase card variant - also where it says "promo" on the promo sent to dealers. Is it a blank version of the chase card or the promo that got by the printer or was it another one of those cards never officially released but leaked out on the market later?

What is not generally known is that the company planned a Series 3 made up of just 4 different hologram cards. A promo hologram was designed and a run of what is said to be between 100 and 200 cards was done before the printer learned he wasn't going to get paid. The company had gone out of business. The printer tried to recoup the loss by selling singles locally to whoever would take them. This was back when internet traffic was very light so word didn't really get out on the card until after they had trickled out, and even then, very few have reappeared for sale.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 8 cards from the seldom-seen "AC Comics Promo Pack" (1993) listed in PCE2008. It also lists a title card but I haven't seen one. The pack I opened had a folded piece of glossy paper that said "AC Comics Promo Pack!" and looked like a card from the outside. Otherwise, it had the rest of the cards listed.

I have read that at least some packs had a different group of cards switching out the "Scarlet Scorpion" card for the #43 "No-Nose Nanette" card which was given out in others ways (comic insert, factory set bonus card via Diamond). A couple of the other cards were also inserted with comics as follows:

n.n. "Rayda"; also poly FemForce #63
n.n. "Sky Gal"; also poly Sky Gal #1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the 10-card "The Ninth Gate" set (Artisan Entertainment) which promotes the movie of the same name released in 1999. One of the cards shows the cover of a rare 17th century book that figures prominently in the movie. The other nine depict engravings in the book that are also seen in the movie. It's interesting that someone decided to show the engravings rather than scenes from the movie in the cards but maybe someone thought people who saw it might want to have some way to look for clues later.

No one seems to recall where the set was given out but I think it was a theater giveaway and maybe just at the premiere showing. I do remember that it wasn't easy to find when it was new. I found it for about $10 at a collectibles show not long after the movie came out. That was a lot for a promo pack at the time. It held that value and I think it sold for $15 at most right up to when the recession hit in 2008. I lost track of its value after that and didn't see it for sale for years.

Jump to last year when I noticed the set was selling for $50-60. I don't know what drove up the going-rate but maybe the movie had picked up more of a following by then and there isn't a lot of merchandise associated with it to collect. I see people have talked it about online - different interpretations of what happened at the end.

In any case, it's a unique-looking set with the medieval-type artwork and pastel-colored backgrounds.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's an odd and rare card not directly associated with any of the Monty Python sets done by Cornerstone Communications. It promotes a t-shirt and provides contact info for the company on the back. No one seems to remember how it was distributed but it might have been sent with the t-shirt or perhaps given out to some of the company's Inside Trader Club members.

Maybe 5-10 years ago, it was a $15-20 card but I haven't seen one for sale since then.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are 8 different cards from the rare 9-card "10th Anniversary Walt Disney World Collector Card Set" (GE Horizons/Walt Disney Company, 1993). It was a promo celebrating General Electric's 10 years of collaboration with Walt Disney World. (1983-1993). The set was given only to GE employees in a 9-card page inside a specially-printed oversized envelope. Card fronts show attractions at Disney World; the backs provide background information on GE's involvment with Disney even before 1983.(two of the cards are blank-backed).

This set has two of the "Carousel" cards but is missing the "Grand Opening" card as listed in PCE2008 so it's a weird error version of the set which probably means someone else has two of the "Grand Opening" cards and is missing the "Carousel" card. I got this set for free so I'm not complaining. I've seen the full set. It used to sell around $75 but the last two sets I've seen sold for just $10-15. If you see it that cheap, buy it.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
This is one of the most intriguing promo card sets I've run across. It's very original in its design and illustrations. I agree with jess that the movie has acquired a cult like following probably accounting for the renewed interest in all things Ninth Gate.

quote:
Here are 8 of the card fronts from the 10-card "The Ninth Gate" set (Artisan Entertainment) which promotes the movie of the same name released in 1999. One of the cards shows the cover of a rare 17th century book that figures prominently in the movie. The other nine depict engravings shown in that book that are also seen in the movie. It's interesting that someone decided to show the engravings rather than scenes from the movie in the cards but maybe someone thought people who saw it might want to have some way to look for clues later and that might create some word-of-mouth and lead to repeat viewings.

It is an unique-looking set with the medieval-type artwork and pastel-colored backgrounds.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
This is one of the most intriguing promo card sets I've run across. It's very original in its design and illustrations. I agree with jess that the movie has acquired a cult like following probably accounting for the renewed interest in all things Ninth Gate.

quote:
Here are 8 of the card fronts from the 10-card "The Ninth Gate" set (Artisan Entertainment) which promotes the movie of the same name released in 1999. One of the cards shows the cover of a rare 17th century book that figures prominently in the movie. The other nine depict engravings shown in that book that are also seen in the movie. It's interesting that someone decided to show the engravings rather than scenes from the movie in the cards but maybe someone thought people who saw it might want to have some way to look for clues later and that might create some word-of-mouth and lead to repeat viewings.

It is an unique-looking set with the medieval-type artwork and pastel-colored backgrounds.

These are at least creative and I never heard of them. Not promos, but they remind me of the Tarot card insert set that was put in Penny Dreadful.

As for the Ninth Gate, it is a film in the same style as Angel Heart. It's about the Devil and it has a good cast and sounds cool. Probably picked up a new following with more people streaming old movies or something. I didn't find either ending confusing, just unsatisfactory.

The Angel Heart ending is actually pretty straight forward and you can see it coming. The ending of the Ninth Gate is more unexpected just because its senseless. There is no motivation for the characters to do a 180 and wind up where they do, leaving the viewer to only imagine the result.

Both of those films may have some cult interest now, but they were flops when released. They deserve to be flops.

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is card #6 from the 16-card "Pink Panther" set (UAP, 1996) inserted one per box of Dr. Oetker ice cream treats in Germany. These cards feature a different form of lenticular motion than we usually see in cards. Multiple images give the effect of the Pink Panther rocking in his chair and laughing within a sort of cloud of action with other action happening on his TV. Each card measures 1 5/8 x 2 3/8 inches.

These cards don't appear for sale very often so it's difficult to build a set at this point. I was lucky to have a friend in Germany who sent me samples of a few different sets (Space Jam, Flipper, and this) and found a couple online. Being a big fan of the 60's-70's cartoon, I also wrote to the company in German to ask if they had any leftover cards and they actually sent me what they had - enough different ones to finish my set, finish a set for a friend, and still have extras. They were very happy to get a letter from an American who made an attempt to write to them in German.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There are scattered notes on Card talk about the extremely rare, seldom-seen E.T. prototype from 1996. For those unfamiliar with the card, an "E.T." widevision card set was planned by Topps for release in 1996. A promo was distributed that year but the set was cancelled soon after. It was reported elsewhere on this board that Topps had already printed two 9-card sheets of the "Multi-Motion" (lenticular motion) prototype by that time. One of the sheets was framed and might be on display somewhere at Topps. The other sheet was cut into singles and at least one of them has reached the market in the years since.

One is said to have sold for just over $500 in the early 2000's. I heard another one sold for that but it was unclear if that person was talking about the same sale. A few years later, someone said one was sold for about $1000. Maybe someone else better recalls the known sales. One is said to be for sale currently.

I was able to find three views of the card, two showing Elliott and E.T. flying away on his bike with the moon in the background. I'm linking them here since it appears the previous links to photos have been broken for a while.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have an images of the front and back of the ET card.

Here is the front, alas it is not a brilliant copy.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

and here is the back

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the rare Country Gold #3 promo (Sterling Cards, Inc. 1992) featuring "The Judds." This another one of those "recalled" promos. Did any really get sent back? Some number did get released but we've seen a lot more of the other promos in the set. It became one of the Most Wanted promos of the mid-late 90's. I saw one for sale a couple of years ago but haven't seen one since.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cardscout182
posted Hide Post
G'day Cats...love the Monty Python T-shirt promo, might have to see if it's the one I have... Also I love the Judds promo, not really a country music fan, but pretty cool as a sample/promo card.. Thumb Up

Posts: 711 | Location: sydney nsw australia | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post