Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Manufacturer    Ask Beckett Grading
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ask Beckett Grading
 Login/Join

Manufacturer
Picture of abroome
posted Hide Post
By the way, I wanted to mention to board members in the Cleveland area, we are here at the Strongsville, OH card show today, tomorrow and Sunday.
If anyone wanted to stop by, talk cards, ask questions, see some graded samples, drop off a few cards to test the waters or talk sketch cards!, please do!
http://www.ohiosportscollector.com has the location and show hours.
Tell me you are a Non-Sport Update board memeber for special deals.

Andy

Posts: 14 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I was curious how long is spent on a card to have it graded.

I realize it's probably longer if the autograph needs authentication.

But I'm curious how much attention an individual card gets.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5082 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
Picture of abroome
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
I was curious how long is spent on a card to have it graded.

I realize it's probably longer if the autograph needs authentication.

But I'm curious how much attention an individual card gets.

Ed

Since each card can vary and there is not a set amount of time required, I will briefly describe the process of grading a card to give you a sense of the time involved.
The grader will take an order and remove the first card from the order and then remove the card from its holder.
The card is first checked for authenticity and for any alterations. Grading an altered card can take the longest. The grader has to determine what all has been done to the card.
If the card has been deemed to be authentic, the grader will then grade each of the 4 primary areas of the card: centering, corners, edges and surface. In the case of modern cards, each of these areas will receive a subgrade.
The grader will examine the front and the back, assign the grades to the internal tracking label on the holder and place the card in an inner sleeve.
The order is then sent to the next step in the process, the label creation.
Vintage cards can take longer to grade than modern cards. Sometimes research is needed or a grading issue needs to be discussed with the senior graders. This adds time.
A card can be reviewed by 2 or more different graders depending on the situation. Nearly every card goes through the hands of 2 graders.

Posts: 14 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abroome:
quote:
Originally posted by jon@webjon.com:
That is excellent to know.

I've found a few graded counterfeit Katie Holmes autographs on eBay in the last year or so.
I alerted the seller to the fact that it was a counterfeit and they pulled the auction. I believe I still have that seller's contact information how should I have them go about getting restitution for this card?

Thanks,
Jon

That is an example our graders would need to see in person to review.
At the risk of bogging down the thread, if you want to shoot me an email about the card, I would be happy to discuss it with you.
Thanks Jon!

Cool, sorry for the late delay, I've been out of town, but since this isn't my card I've forwarded this thread to the card's owner.

I hope he will contact you.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi there. I want to make some custom cuts of some auto'd photos I have and have jsa authenticate and slab in your bgs holder. What's the biggest size cut that you will encapsulate in a regular size bgs holder?

Does it have to be the size of a baseball card or can you go bigger and still have it in the size of one that would hold a baseball card.

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 37 | Location: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Jam92102:

Not sure if you noticed but these questions go back to the beginning of the year. This was a short term feature we were doing at that point in time. I'm not sure that Andy even checks this forum any longer so you may wish to direct your questions right at Beckett Grading through their website or by calling them to get the quickest response.

Thanks.

Harris

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad!! LOL Thanks for the heads up!

Posts: 37 | Location: Greenwood, Indiana | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Flag City Collectibles
posted Hide Post
this is about outdated. I wish PSA & BGS would make more of an impact with nonsport cards. I love how cards look and are protected when graded.

Posts: 749 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post