Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2021
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new Top 10 list

1) Spider Man
2) Shang Chi
3) Venom 2
4) Black Widow
5) F9
6) Eternals
7) No Time to Die (James Bond)
8) Quiet Place 2
9) Free Guy
10) Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters might be able to make it to # 9.

If Eternals can make 9 M more it will be # 5. Otherwise, it's pretty much ALL Marvel this year.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Went to go see the Lindsey Stirling concert on Tuesday night and saw Spider-Man yesterday in 3-D. Both delivered way beyond my expectations.

For a movie that pulls from so many directions it could have easily been a disaster. Generally a 2.5 hour film has 30 to 45 mins of fluff that could be cut out. Spider-Man uses the time wisely. Nice to see the Critics and the Audience agree with a 94% to 99% rating.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Went to see 'The Matrix Resurrections' yesterday. Nice, nearly empty cinema thanks to it being a morning screening. There were 8 people viewing it including me, so no noise or disturbances to distract from the film Smile

Due to the nature of the film, it's actually quite hard to give away many spoilers. It's definitely another Matrix movie. It was more like the original than the sequels which worked in its favour. I was pleasantly surprised to find it held my attention throughout its entire two and a half hour running time. It did have a bit too much deep and meaningless, psychological babble at times with some Star Trek style techno-babble thrown in for good measure, but other than that it met my expectations. So good, but not great. I don't think it will break any box office records and may even struggle to make the top ten for 2021.

One spoiler, the closing titles do go on for a long time but there is a credit scene when they finish...just so you know Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
It did have a bit too much deep and meaningless, psychological babble at times with some Star Trek style techno-babble thrown in for good measure, but other than that it met my expectations.

The appeal of the first film is it was about asking the question and letting the audience think on the answer. Once the film makers started to answer the questions the story got dumb. I have seen the first half hour of the new movie and it looks about the same. Not bad but not great.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Went to see the King's Man today. I like what they wanted to do but didn't really care for what they actually did.

It's a bit of a mess. An fictional origin story attempting to fuse itself into real history with many scenes that leave the audience asking "Why?" There are also some scenes that feel like the production crew got lost in what they were making and then someone decided to stop spending money and wrap it up.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The new Top 10 list

1) Spider Man
2) Shang Chi
3) Venom 2
4) Black Widow
5) F9
6) Eternals
8) Quiet Place 2
9) Free Guy
10) Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters might be able to make it to # 9.

If Eternals can make 9 M more it will be # 5. Otherwise, it's pretty much ALL Marvel this year.

Seeing Bond tonight, Spidey next week, "Eternals" on Disney+ next month, Ghostbusters on DVD/BluRay (unless they put it with something decent at the Drive-In before then).

Actually saw Quiet Place 2 at a walk-in, the only movie I've seen that way in nearly two years. I never ever imagined something like that could happen, but here we are. I hope to go to cinemas a lot more in 2022.

Saw the others excepting "F9" (the next one should be called "Pause Break") which I won't see. I've missed the last 7 or 8 of them, so I'm afraid too much nuance will be lost on me as a result of my not having the proper subtext going in. Are there many parking lot donuts with the smoking tires and such in this latest one? How's Vin's grunt holding up?

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any of those movies yet unless you count the first 20 minutes of "Shang Chi" I saw with my brother before we had to go somewhere. It looked good so I'll watch that, the new Bond, and Spider-Man at some point - maybe that asteroid movie too.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Matrix has done poorly so far. A week into release, and only 25 M at the U.S. box office, and worldwide about 69 M.

That puts it at # 42 domestically for 2021. It would have to make at least 60 M to break the Top 20.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Matrix has done poorly so far. A week into release, and only 25 M at the U.S. box office, and worldwide about 69 M.

That puts it at # 42 domestically for 2021. It would have to make at least 60 M to break the Top 20.

Wonder how much theater money was diverted from Matrix revenue from being on HBOMax?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new Ghostbusters has only made 178 M much less than the 229 M that the 2016 film made, and the 2016 one was considered a financial disappointment. However the budget of the new one is supposedly half of its predecessor.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
The new Ghostbusters has only made 178 M much less than the 229 M that the 2016 film made, and the 2016 one was considered a financial disappointment. However the budget of the new one is supposedly half of its predecessor.

Minus the budget 2016 film made 85M
2021 film (w covid) made 103M

When you minus the budget on the top 25 films of 2021 the top 10 break out domestically to....

Spiderman 205M
Venom 110M 102M
A Quiet Place 100M
Halloween Kills 72M
Shang Chi 50M
GhostBusters 45M
Candyman 36M
Old 30M
Conjuring 26M
Addams Family 11M

Of course this doesn't take in the bucks made with direct to premium TV deals.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that 90% of ticket sales last weekend were for Spiderman.

The movie business can't last if the only things that make money are blockbusters.

Posts: 2201 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
I read somewhere that 90% of ticket sales last weekend were for Spiderman.

The movie business can't last if the only things that make money are blockbusters.

Hard to tell really. I mean it's fun to watch the box office numbers but honestly it is too simplistic of a formula to judge the financial success of a film. Given the growth of content starved outlets along with the consolidation of all things entertainment over the past 40 years it is impossible to really know what a movie actually makes.

I had recently watched Forbidden Planet and read that by today's standards it was a box office bomb. Given all the ways it has been distributed since it made me wonder what the current earnings statement would be?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:

I'm not sure what you can call the movie business at this time. The films being made to go to streaming platforms directly or almost directly are big budgeted movies. Take "Don't Look Up". Between DiCapro and Lawrence, they got 18M. Then there is the rest of the all-star cast in minor roles that had to combine out to another 12M at least. So 30M just for the "name" actors and nothing else. Somebody thinks they will make money on this.

BTW, from everything I've read and my own personal view, "Don't Look Up" stinks. Just the kind of unfunny "satire" on the end of the world that we really need to see right now. Roll Eyes

As for "Forbidden Planet", yeah it's one of those belated Si-Fi classics that wasn't much when it opened. Neither was "The Day the Earth Stood Still" or even something as more recent as "Bladerunner". The audiences of the 50's wanted big monsters like Them or The Thing From Another World, which is one I still watch often. More talky Si-Fi didn't work and that probably still holds true.

I don't know how "2001" ever got considered to be a masterpiece, but it did. I saw it once and thought it was terrible. It was of course Kubrick and I really think no one wanted to admit that they didn't understand his "genius" for fear it made them look stupid. Still don't. The Emperor's New Clothes. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I'm not sure what you can call the movie business at this time. The films being made to go to streaming platforms directly or almost directly are big budgeted movies. Take "Don't Look Up". Between DiCapro and Lawrence, they got 18M. Then there is the rest of the all-star cast in minor roles that had to combine out to another 12M at least. So 30M just for the "name" actors and nothing else. Somebody thinks they will make money on this.

BTW, from everything I've read and my own personal view, "Don't Look Up" stinks. Just the kind of unfunny "satire" on the end of the world that we really need to see right now. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Mykdude:

I will probably find a boring Saturday and watch this but my first impressions were a Conspiracy Theory Comedy based on When Worlds Collide or maybe Deep Impact

As for "Forbidden Planet", yeah it's one of those belated Si-Fi classics that wasn't much when it opened. Neither was "The Day the Earth Stood Still" or even something as more recent as "Bladerunner". The audiences of the 50's wanted big monsters like Them or The Thing From Another World, which is one I still watch often. More talky Si-Fi didn't work and that probably still holds true.

quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure it was so much audience demand more than the sci-fi film watching community was only just so big. Seems like most of the box office takes for those features were between 1 and 3 Million no matter what the budget was. Although I would think accurate information difficult it would be interesting to take maybe the top 10 from that era and give them a 2022 earnings report.

I don't know how "2001" ever got considered to be a masterpiece, but it did. I saw it once and thought it was terrible. It was of course Kubrick and I really think no one wanted to admit that they didn't understand his "genius" for fear it made them look stupid. Still don't. The Emperor's New Clothes. Big Grin

quote:
Can't say I am been a big fan of 2001 although I am sure it was beautiful to see from a technical perspective back then. Space was a "thing" and this was as close as most people were going to get to it. I didn't care much for Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon either. I think any film that breaks the standard formula will instinctively trigger critics to its praise. I mean anyone who watches movies as a job must be like looking for glitches in the matrix to get excited about.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding 2021 movies...

The Matrix continues to languish at at mere 30 M domestically. Even "Paw Patrol" did better. Are they actually going to do a FIFTH movie ?

Dune looks like it will be the # 12 film of the year at 107 M, which is not impressive at all. It made less than 400 M worldwide and yet another one is on the way. Cost at least 200 M to make. Not sure how the studios can afford to do another.

Based upon the numbers, Ghostbusters was not a huge hit. Maybe it's time to end that franchise.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Spidey's success was a special case, one of the few blockbusters that didn't stream online immediately. All the films that did will get a mulligan for lackluster ticket sales which includes consideration for the ongoing situation. There is also substantial value realized for the producers in how often the movies were streamed, with a lot of that info never being released to the general public.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The FINAL Top 10 list of 2021, domestically.

1) Spider Man
2) Shang Chi
3) Venom 2
4) Black Widow
5) F9
6) Eternals
8) Quiet Place 2
9) Ghostbusters
10) Free Guy

The Matrix is currently at # 35 for the year. NOT A HIT AT ALL

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So 2021 looks like it ended with at least three major bombs. The "Matrix Resurrections" has made only 35M domestically, but did better internationally with 90M. Still a total of $125M for an expected blockbuster will stay in serious red territory. I could see where they thought they could improve on the last ending, but I don't think that enough people cared about it.

Why they thought this was a good time for a redo of "West Side Story" is beyond me. It's made 33M at home and 21M internationally, for a worldwide of around 54M. The story is pretty specific to NY, even in the update, so international audiences should care less. Moreover, it's not a happy musical and was always heavy handed with its symbolism. And movie musicals are out of favor. It was a bad idea for a hit, no matter how it turned out.

Now "Nightmare Alley" did absolutely terrible. On a 60M budget, not including the marketing, it has earned 9M domestically to date. I don't think they have put it out internationally yet. Releasing against 'Spiderman No Way Home" got it pulled from theatres in the second week to get more Spiderman screens. It is film noir and is supposed to look dated, being set in the 1940s. It was one of those arty ideas, but hey, there has never been a mass audience for film noir. That's why those old movies are after-the-fact stylish to film artist types.

Having bombed, Searchlight is now expected to release a black and white version of "Nightmare Alley". I guess it hasn't lost enough money. If no one went to see it in color, with the cinematography being its big selling point, will a lack of color help? Searchlight is a division of Disney, who made Spiderman by the way. So I think this one may not have been such a bomb had it been made cheap like real film noir always was and marketed properly. Unfortunately it cost too much and the studio ruined any chance it had in the distribution. Maybe it will become an after-the-fact classic in 30 years. I kind of doubt it.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Having bombed, Searchlight is now expected to release a black and white version of "Nightmare Alley".

I just watched the black and white version. It was made in 1947!