Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2021
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
However the Sopranos prequel "The Many Saints of Newark" flopped.

The name didn't help. Unless you live in the Tri-State area, no one even knows Newark and they certainly don't remember it has anything to do with The Sopranos. It also sounds like the last part of The Boondock Saints. Big Grin

Casting Michael Gandolfini seemed like a gimmick.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Oh Happy Day! Disney and Scarlett Johansson have kissed and made up over an undisclosed settlement. Nothing like a pot full of dough to erase the principles of the talent. Wink Black Widow could be back. Big Grin

Funny how it works that way. Once you get yours screw all the little people you were fighting for. Razz

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Venom 2 opened this weekend at a huge 90 M, better than the original. However the Sopranos prequel "The Many Saints of Newark" flopped.

Shang-Chi being the first post covid movie to break $200M

Going to see Venom tonight.

Sopranos should have never been a theater based movie.....just an HBO special. I still have not seen the series.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
"Cry Macho" and "Newark" are available on HBO Max, so in addition to their box office numbers, they will get some "credit" where the bean counters are for concerned for total minutes streamed there.

Same goes for "Black Widow" which was available for purchase on Disney+ from opening day, which alone more than accounted for that extra 40 million Disney just paid ScarJo to keep her on the team.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Re: The Many Saints of Newark

How many more times is Ray Liotta going to play a gangster (or a dirty cop) ?

His net worth is 14 M, but is it worth it, constantly doing the same thing ?

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Can't blame him for taking this one though, since the series probably wouldn't have existed in the first place without "Goodfellas" to keep mob stories culturally relevant through the 90's. Ray was in talks to appear on the show around season 3 or 4, but it never worked out. For Ray to swoop back in for some of that cash now for a role he can play in his sleep had to be a no-brainer. (insert picture/gif of Anthony Hopkins from "Hannibal" feeding Ray his own brain here)

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to watch it tonight. HBO Max is awesome.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
His net worth is 14 M, but is it worth it, constantly doing the same thing ?

Well he was a spokesman/endorser on the Chantix commercials before they found out that, in addition to making you stop smoking, it also drove you crazy and maybe increased risk of heart attack and cancer.

It got recalled, but there is always his mobster gig. Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The great irony of it all is that Ray Liotta is not even Italian-American in real life. He was adopted as a child, and given the name Liotta.

He says that he is mostly Scottish. Who would have guessed ?

He's done close to 100 movies since the 1980s, and it seems like he agrees to star in pretty much anything (sometimes 7 or 8 movies a year), possibly just for the money.

Trivia: In 2017, he was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well he was a spokesman/endorser on the Chantix commercials before they found out that, in addition to making you stop smoking, it also drove you crazy and maybe increased risk of heart attack and cancer.

It got recalled, but there is always his mobster gig. Big Grin

I wondered where those commercials went!!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

He's done close to 100 movies since the 1980s, and it seems like he agrees to star in pretty much anything (sometimes 7 or 8 movies a year), possibly just for the money.

I have no problem with that, I kind of respect actors who just want to work. Michael Madsen and Ironside are like that as well.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I saw it last night and Ray was pretty good in it.
He could definitely appear in more stories if the Sopranos tale is continued.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Saw Venom tonight, super fun flick! The end credit scene leads to the next Spider-Man movie.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Oh Happy Day! Disney and Scarlett Johansson have kissed and made up over an undisclosed settlement. Nothing like a pot full of dough to erase the principles of the talent. Wink Black Widow could be back. Big Grin

Funny how it works that way. Once you get yours screw all the little people you were fighting for. Razz

Not Black Widow, but Johansson has just announced that she will both star and produce Disney's "Tower of Terror" movie, based on the Disney attraction, same as "Jungle Cruise". Obviously she is getting more cash for this one on top of her multiple million dollar settlement with the studio.

They say all these horrible things about each other and then they praise each other. The Hollywood Reporter has called her a hero for the underdog. Really? These people lie in an echo chamber. Best not to even listen to their BS or you will never want to go see anybody in anything. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
No Time to Die Friday numbers are significantly lower than Venom's same day box office.

Venom opened at $37.4M while No Time to Die rolled in at $23.3M

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those were the Friday numbers on Bond. Let us see what the weekend numbers are. A few of my friends saw it. I don't want to give away the shocking ending but considering the events one wonders how Bond can possibly return.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to give away the shocking ending but considering the events one wonders how Bond can possibly return.

As I alluded to in another thread, although I was looking forward to finally seeing No Time To Die, this is not the Bond film I wanted to see. I'm sure it will make money, but how it is received in all areas is another matter.

One thing that seems to be mentioned all over is that Rami Malek gave an awful performance as the main villain here.

Going forward? Well it seems like the movies are just into reimagining everything. So just go to an alternate universe Bond, pick up him or her in any place and hope nobody notices. Big Grin

Won't matter to me. I'm sick of Craig. I don't care if I'm in the minority or not. His arc sucked every bit of fun and escapism out of the series and his Bond was a miserable man, living a miserable life, who did lots of stupid things. Even the song is depressing. Wink

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rumor has it Scarlett Johansson will play 007 in the next James Bond reboot while Disney is quite keen that Daniel Craig will accept the MCU role (new Black Widow) he's just been offered.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing that seems to be mentioned all over is that Rami Malek gave an awful performance as the main villain here.

I have to admit, I wasn't all that impressed with Christoph Waltz in Spectre. I'm just glad it produced an autograph card! Cool

So $56M for the weekend, I was going to call 60M earlier based on Friday's numbers. It is most likely going to be the lowest grossing Craig 'Bond' film domestically. International numbers are pretty strong for a first week.

I'm going to see it tonight. Will let you know any thoughts. The 2hr and 43m run time already has be a bit concerned. I thought Spectre ran a bit long at 2hrs and 28m.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Rumor has it Scarlett Johansson will play 007 in the next James Bond reboot while Disney is quite keen that Daniel Craig will accept the MCU role (new Black Widow) he's just been offered.

Hahahaha! So what you are saying is they will continue to make the same movies but just swap out the name. BRILLIANT!!! Smokin'