Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2021
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Just saw Jungle Cruise and Free Guy at the drive-in. Both were pretty good.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Addams Family 2 scheduled for October 1st has just shifted to a joint theatrical and home viewing release. The studios are losing confidence that audiences will be able to come out in large numbers for their holiday season movies, many of which have been seriously delayed already.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I was knocked out after getting Covid. My version came with the high fatigue and low appetite features. Totally recommend it for weight loss. Elephant

I did see Free Guy at the theater and thought it was fun. The down side is you pretty much saw or figured out the whole movie in the trailers.

Also saw Suicide Squad which wasn't bad but easily could have shaved off about 30 minutes. Certain scenes seemed to drag on past their usefulness. Love the weasel!

Nothing seems to be slamming it at the box office right now but looks like Don't Breathe 2 will hit a profit status.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mykdude:
I did see Free Guy at the theater and thought it was fun. The down side is you pretty much saw or figured out the whole movie in the trailers./QUOTE]

Yes, who is making these trailers? They are supposed to get you interested in seeing a movie, not show you the movie or give away key scenes so that you know what's coming.

After I saw the trailer for Old, there was absolutely no reason to watch the film except to find out the explanation for the Beach. And as it turned out, being M. Night, there was no explanation. An ending yes, an explanation no. So save your money and watch the trailer for free.

The trailer for Jungle Cruise has all the best bits in it and they are not that good. It reeks of cutesy banter. So save your money and watch the trailer for free.

On the other hand the trailer for Dune is so disjointed that you have no idea what's going on. I think that's because its what the film will look like. So save your money and watch the trailer for free.

You get my idea. Big Grin Glad you're feeling better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Top 10 (So far) of 2021, Domestically

BLACK WIDOW
F9
A QUIET PLACE PART 2
JUNGLE CRUISE
GODZILLA VS. KONG
CRUELLA
FREE GUY
SPACE JAM
THE CONJURING 3
BOSS BABY 2

Only the first 4 have made it over 100 M.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

On the other hand the trailer for Dune is so disjointed that you have no idea what's going on. I think that's because its what the film will look like. So save your money and watch the trailer for free.

You get my idea. Big Grin Glad you're feeling better.

Thanks! Definitely not recommended but watching CDC numbers things seem to be getting to a point where it may be unavoidable. Generally speaking.

I think Dune is my next 'must see at the theater' movie. Been very excited about this one. I was always in a weird place with the one that came out in the 80's. I didn't hate it but always felt it was a missed opportunity.

I'm sure I will have a generalized overall satisfaction with Jungle Cruise when I finally see it but nothing about it made me want to see it in a theater.

It really is a loaded question that if the box office should go away what will it mean for the future of the big budget film? I have a space in my home that I have always thought would make for a great home theater. Been seriously thinking about that lately. Cool

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Of course once you mix in and subtract all of the production budgets the whole list gets jumbled up pretty good.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The Top 10 (So far) of 2021, Domestically

BLACK WIDOW
F9
A QUIET PLACE PART 2
JUNGLE CRUISE
GODZILLA VS. KONG
CRUELLA
FREE GUY
SPACE JAM
THE CONJURING 3
BOSS BABY 2

Only the first 4 have made it over 100 M.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Paramount just announced that "Top Gun" and "Mission Impossible 7" are being moved to 2022 due to COVID.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings comes in strong with a $90M labor day weekend domestic box office. 146M World-wide on a $150M budget.

Free Guy should bust $100M domestic this week with 241.7M World Wide.

Don't Breathe 2 is in the hit zone with $41.3M on a 15M budget.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Don't Breathe 2 is in the hit zone with $41.3M on a 15M budget.

Studios are really going to look to put out these kinds of low budget horror/actioners with minimal or secondary stars, that are almost guaranteed to beat cost with any sort of distribution. How long can they hold off releasing the blockbusters that need to make 200M and better just to break even? How long are they going to keep filming big expensive movies when there is such a logjam already?

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So finally No Time To Die will open on September 30th in the UK and October 8th in the US. As of now it will still be a theatrical only release.

The final cut is a whooping 163 minutes, which makes it the longest Bond film ever. Hard to believe its necessary to carry that length for an action movie. Generally either there will be long scenes of needless exposition that hardly matter in basically senseless plots or numerous extreme action sequences that have an equal effect of burnout when overused.

I'm looking forward to seeing it actually. I just hope its a popcorn movie and not some endurance marathon. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Shang Chi" is red hot, and it looks like in the next 2 weeks it will pass F9 and "Black Widow" to become the # 1 film of 2021, domestically.

In response to this success, Disney has announced that the rest of its 2021 films will not be released simultaneously through streaming. They will all be theaters only.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah, still has a bit to climb for it's budget but Shang Chi is doing well. Especially with it not having a China release.

Looks like the new Candyman has climbed into the profit margin making nearly $50M on a $25M budget. Can't say I was a fan of the original so not much here for my taste.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be very upset if this film does not result in a Rami Malek autograph card. Smokin'

Now that the license is in the dysfunctional hands of Upper Deck my hopes aren't very high.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So finally No Time To Die will open on September 30th in the UK and October 8th in the US. As of now it will still be a theatrical only release.

The final cut is a whooping 163 minutes, which makes it the longest Bond film ever. Hard to believe its necessary to carry that length for an action movie. Generally either there will be long scenes of needless exposition that hardly matter in basically senseless plots or numerous extreme action sequences that have an equal effect of burnout when overused.

I'm looking forward to seeing it actually. I just hope its a popcorn movie and not some endurance marathon. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Shang Chi" is up to the # 2 spot of the year, and is only a few million away from # 1.

91 year old Clint Eastwood's new film, "Cry Macho" opened at only 4 M.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This weekend Dear Evan Hansen opens and early reports have it bombing already.

The studios have done very badly trying to bring Broadway shows to the screen these days. Even big hits like Cats and Hamilton haven't worked and Hansen is not in their league.

I don't think audiences like to see people singing to each other anymore. They like music and dancing when its part of a "show within a show", but not as sung dialog. There is a much different appreciation from when you watch live theatre and when you see it on film. A lot of what looks wonderful live looks corny, stupid and unbelievable on screen, where you expect a level of realism that is not necessary in a stage performance.

I saw Mamma Mia live on Broadway and it was a celebration with the audience singing along on wall to wall Abba songs. One of the most fun shows I've ever seen. The movie, with Streep and Brosnan of all people, was just terrible. I know it made money and earned a sequel that bombed, but it stunk first, it just made money. Big Grin

I think they should stop making movie musicals out of Broadway musicals for a long time.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Shang Chi" is up to 196 M here in the U.S.

It will be the first film to hit 200 M domestically since "Bad Boys for Life", in early 2020, almost 2 years ago.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Free Guy seems to be hanging in there at $114M. Worldwide it is doing much better than Jungle Cruise.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Oh Happy Day! Disney and Scarlett Johansson have kissed and made up over an undisclosed settlement. Nothing like a pot full of dough to erase the principles of the talent. Wink Black Widow could be back. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Venom 2 opened this weekend at a huge 90 M, better than the original. However the Sopranos prequel "The Many Saints of Newark" flopped.