Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2021
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
I will start with where I plan to be at the end of March. Bouncey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odM92ap8_c0

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I just don't like the scale they used to make King Kong equal to Godzilla. Didn't like it when he debuted in Kong: Shull Island. He looks out of proportion. He once climbed the Empire State Building, now he looks like he could flatten it. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I just don't like the scale they used to make King Kong equal to Godzilla. Didn't like it when he debuted in Kong: Shull Island. He looks out of proportion. He once climbed the Empire State Building, now he looks like he could flatten it. Big Grin

I really liked Skull Island. Just a fact if these two are going to fight some scale changes would be in order. As a full on monster movie I think I want to see Kong brought up to Godzilla size than the other way around. Pretty much plan on checking my brain at the door on this one anyway. Razz

Recently watched the early 60's version and thought it was hilarious how the scale seemed to change from scene to scene.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Detective Chinatown 3" opened in China--and made almost 398 M in that country the first weekend !

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
"Detective Chinatown 3" opened in China--and made almost 398 M in that country the first weekend !

I'm sure China is wide open. I hope Detective Chinatown 3 is every bit as good as Detective Chinatown 1 and Detective Chinatown 2 were. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently the "Tom and Jerry" movie did surprisingly well this past weekend.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Top 5 Hits of 2021 so far, domestically

1) Tom and Jerry
2) Raya and the Last Dragon
3) The Little Things
4) The Marksman
5) Chaos Walking

Only the first two have passed 20 M so far. The next two have made 10 M plus.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Went to see Godzilla vs Kong in IMAX yesterday. It is the ONLY way to watch this movie!

Very much like MEG it's a dumb story with dumb (but likable) characters and an all out UFC version monster battle in 3 glorious rounds!

Rented a theater next weekend so I can drag my whole family to it! Dance

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Godzilla vs Kong will be the early box office leader for 2021. I think the reviews have been even better because they want to pull in theater attendance.

I didn't know this was called the MonsterVerse, but OK. Not unlike the Marvel and DC universes, what they share is dumb plots, which I don't mind if they are fun plots like Thor Ragnarok.

But what I don't like is dumb plots that are explained in tedious detail, as though they were scientifically accurate or even possible. From what I can tell the human being scenes are the worst part of Kong vs Godzilla, as they were in Godzilla King of the Monsters to me. Just let them fight. Its all anyone is going for anyway. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Really? You think the MARVEL plots are dumb? Given the source material I have never felt that way. I typically find DC dumb because they try too hard to over complicate the source material....a comic book. Or they are spending too much time ripping off MARVEL. Cool

Godzilla vs Kong does have the dumb ideas but fortunately has so much monster screen time that the "tedious detail" can't happen. At times they are trying to explain things while you are watching something cool so you only half way pay attention to what they are talking about anyway. Big Grin

Looks like reviewer scores are dropping (to be expected) but audience ratings are hanging fairly high. I think this one is going to do well.

Will be interesting to see the foreign (esp China) box office on this one.

quote:
Godzilla vs Kong will be the early box office leader for 2021. I think the reviews have been even better because they want to pull in theater attendance.

I didn't know this was called the MonsterVerse, but OK. Not unlike the Marvel and DC universes, what they share is dumb plots, which I don't mind if they are fun plots like Thor Ragnarok.

But what I don't like is dumb plots that are explained in tedious detail, as though they were scientifically accurate or even possible. From what I can tell the human being scenes are the worst part of Kong vs Godzilla, as they were in Godzilla King of the Monsters to me. Just let them fight. Its all anyone is going for anyway. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Really? You think the MARVEL plots are dumb? Given the source material I have never felt that way.Big Grin
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry, comics aren't my thing anymore, never were really, When I did read comic books, a hundred years ago Wink, it was more DC than Marvel and the characters were not nearly as tortured as they are now, not even Batman. If the source material isn't old, I wouldn't know about it and I didn't read much Marvel at all, Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four were my main titles. FF4 was terrible on screen and Surfer would be difficult to do too.

Another thing is that I hate time travel plots, popping in and out of different eras and all. It's repetitive and its a lazy way to make nothing final and anything possible. So you can guess my reaction to Endgame. Big Grin

I'd rather just stick to mysteries, monsters and horror movies, but not the grim ones either. It's supposed to be entertainment. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another thing is that I hate time travel plots, popping in and out of different eras and all. It's repetitive and its a lazy way to make nothing final and anything possible. So you can guess my reaction to Endgame. Big Grin

Haha! And yet it was the Time Travel/MultiVerse insertion that pretty much re-engerized comics stuck in the decades old hero/villain story.

I agree it did tend to complicate things and it pretty much destroyed the casual comic reader because now they had to start following story lines across multiple titles. You couldn't just have your one favorite comic.

I guess there is a fine line between lazy and creative potential but I get your point. Knowing there is an embedded process that can eventually write your way out of any outcome up to and including death tends to cheapen things.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Kong vs Godzilla made 48M in North America since Wednesday with about 45% of theatres still closed and the open ones under audience restrictions. In China it was number 1 for one weekend and got knock out this weekend by local product. It still picked up around 70M total. Its got around 285M worldwide.

Imagine what the box office could have been.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I watched "Godzilla vs. Kong" yesterday. Yeah, the "hollow Earth" idea made no sense but the monster fights were great and the movie had a good ending. Who's left for Godzilla to fight? The aliens from "Independence Day?"

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Who's left for Godzilla to fight?

Jess

The Justice League, The Avengers. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yeah, the "hollow Earth" idea made no sense but the monster fights were great and the movie had a good ending.
Jess

I just tossed it all into the mindset of Greek Mythology. I checked my brain at the door very early in the film. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Godzilla vs Kong still crushing it! More than double of WW84 in the first week.

19 of us rented a theater and watched it again last night. Such a fun film!

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Interesting article on the direction for some films. Still can't find anything that gives an idea of what HBO/Max or PVOD translates to as in box office dollars.

Found another article that states for 2021 back end talent pay outs will occur had half the threshold. In other words if a film had to make 100 million for a talent bonus that number would now be 50 million.

https://observer.com/2020/12/h...os-movies-att-stock/

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Godzilla vs Kong hits number one again! 80 Million domestic, should hit past $400 million international by this weekend.

Will be interesting to see what Mortal Kombat does this weekend. It already has 10.7 Million international.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Checked out Mortal Kombat in IMAX. My expectations weren't very high but I actually liked it.

Looks like Friday box office haul is $9+ million on a $55 million budget.