Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hits and Misses of 2021
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The new "Ghostbusters" opens today. Wonder how well that one will do ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
North American grosses:
4 guy ghostbusters (1984) 242 Million
4 girl ghostbusters (2016) 128 Million
Half and half (2021) 185 million

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Ghostbusters" did a better than expected 44 M

The new Will Smith drama "King Richard" bombed at less than 6 M.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
"King Richard" is a means to get Will Smith an Oscar nomination. I doubt that the studio expected much by way pf a commercial success. It's one of those end-of-year prestige movies designed to get good critic reviews and industry awards. It seems to have accomplished that much.

"Ghostbusters" might actually be fun because it didn't try to copy the original and Paul Rudd is hot right now, so it's not just unknown tweener stars.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If Bond can make another 5 M, "No Time to Die" will be up to 160 M, and it will be in fifth place domestically for the year (so far), beating "A Quiet Place Part 2." Only Marvel movies and F9 will be ahead of it. We will see.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Went to see Ghostbusters Afterlife last night. Overall I really enjoyed it. The whole movie is basically a throwback/forward to the original so don't expect too much in the originality department. In spite of this the two movies feel distinctly different. The kids have their laugh moments but the majority of the humor responsibility seems to fall on Paul Rudd. I'm not sure a better movie on the subject could have been made,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
So Dune crawled past the $100M mark and basically died. Maybe part II can be a made for Syfy TV special?

Bond is a hit at 3/4 of a billion dollars worldwide.

Venom is still bringing in righteous bucks at $209M domestic.

Ghostbusters will pass $100M this week. On a budget of $75M it stands a chance of being a hit.

A standard formula Disney animated film Encanto took top spot this weekend but with a $135M budget it still has some work to do.

Resident Evil: Welcome to OUCH! $8.8M on a $25M budget.

Eternals hits $150M but with a $200M budget it needs to keep on rolling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
At 755 M, Bond is now the # 1 film worldwide, behind only 2 Chinese films.

I am guessing that at the U.S. box office it will end up being # 7 for the year, as "Eternals" is about to pass it soon.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

I guess when you have a population 1.4 billion and the government insists you watch a movie it is probably going to do well. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

????

Wouldn't that make it #3?

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Not much to shake up the box office this or next weekend.

West Side Story is out next week but can't say I cared much for the first one. I am sure that one with modern non-sensiblities isn't going to make me like it more.

Only 4 movies of interest left for 2021

Spiderman
The Kings Man
Matrix
Nightmare Alley

I will definitely see the first two in theaters and will let review numbers tell me if I want to support the last two at the box office.

Neither del Toro or the Wachowski's have been on much of a hit streak.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

????

Wouldn't that make it #3?

I think it is fair to say 'No Time to Die' is 2021's #1 hit worldwide. The chinese films have not been released worldwide and have made 99% of their money in China.

I'm pretty certain the new 'Spider-man No Way Home' will be the #1 in the US, elsewhere depends on whether they start putting restrictions on cinemas again.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Ghostbusters" is up to 102 M domestically, making it # 10 for the year so far.

I am guessing it may settle in between 120 and 130 M and may end up at # 9 for the year, once Spider-Man opens.

It won't be a massive hit like the Marvel films have been, and it won't make 150 M plus like James Bond.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Not much to shake up the box office this or next weekend.

West Side Story is out next week but can't say I cared much for the first one. I am sure that one with modern non-sensiblities isn't going to make me like it more.

Neither del Toro or the Wachowski's have been on much of a hit streak.

Nightmare Alley is for Del Toro lovers and it's supposed to look great from a cinematography standpoint. Otherwise I see no reason to redo the original Tyrone Power film, which was not well received at the time because fans didn't want their idol Power in a non-hero role. Be forewarned that Del Toro changed the ending back to match the book, which is actually much more appropriate than the slapped on reshot ending of the original after test audiences walked out in disgust, but I kind of question who is really interested in a 1940's film noir story these days except as art. This was Power's favorite movie role because he wanted to be known for the good actor he was and not for his good looks. I liked The Razor's Edge better.

I only saw the first Matrix and lost interest. West Side Story is getting good reviews, but again I saw the first one and I'm rarely thrilled with filmed musicals. Especially the ones with sung dialog. Younger people might be more interested in West Side Story and Nightmare Alley because they haven't seen the first ones. Then again when it's not Marvel or DC or something with CGI, I don't know if they even can sit still for straight drama, with or without music. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
West Side Story, which cost around 100M just to produce, is looking at about a 10M opening weekend. There have been a spat of Broadway musicals going to the movies in recent months, all the way back to Cats. They have all, to a greater or lesser degree, bombed. You would think they would see a pattern by now. Wink

Live theatre audiences and movie audiences are not the same and even straight dramas can look confined on screen. Broadway musicals tend to just look silly, even when done as well as can be expected.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, "West Side Story" bombed. And it looks like the Disney film "Encanto" has not been a big hit, either.

Here are the new Top 10 of 2021 so far, domestically

1) Shang Chi
2) Venom 2
3) Black Widow
4) F9
5) Eternals
6) No Time to Die (James Bond)
7) Quiet Place 2
8) Free Guy
9) Ghostbusters
10) Jungle Cruise

As you can see, 4 of the Top 5 are Marvel, and that is even BEFORE Spider-Man comes out this week.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Went to see 'Spiderman: No Way Home' earlier today. Interesting film. Not as much fun as the first two and could probably have done with being up to half an hour shorter. Other than mentioning that there are two trailer scenes, so you really do need to stay until the credits have finished rolling, I wont say anything more as I don't want to put out any spoilers.

One observation though. The film opened here in the UK yesterday and there were a lot of viewings available today, 15 in the cinema I went to. I went to the first showing at 11:30 am and the theatre I was in was practically empty with less than a dozen people watching. While I recognise that this is not exactly the time that most people will go to watch a film at the cinema and schools are still not closed for the holidays, this was still the emptiest cinema I can remember being in for over a decade. Not a good start to a run that is expected to pull in a lot of people. Just have to wait and see the official figures in the days to come.

On a lighter note, I now have a ticket for the new Matrix film for the day it opens next week Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I took my daughter to see Spider-man:NO way Home today. The theatre now has recliner chairs and I asked how many people it seats now, 160. Thanks to digital technology they can convert other theatres to match ticket sales. 6 of the 8 were playing Spider-Man and all but 1 was sold out.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Spiderman: No Way Home will blow up the box office this weekend, to the surprise of no one. Nightmare Alley is going down in flames as I predicted. It will run neck and neck with West Side Story for the biggest loser of December plus.

I do intend to see it eventually though as the reviews are very good and I know the story. I just don't think its the right time for it and certainly not against Spiderman. You also have to be in the mood to watch a very dark story with no redeemable qualities or characters whatsoever. Wink

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Spider-Man made an astounding 253 M in its opening weekend, the third largest opening in history.

That automatically makes it the # 1 film of the year, domestically.