Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrie Fisher RIP
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Carrie Fisher is reported to have had a massive heart attack on a plane and is in critical condition. I hope the story sounds worse than the reality and she will pull through.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10413 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The news just came that Carrie Fisher has passed away. I felt very sad hearing that, and not just because she has been a contemporary celebrity for many of us who collect non-sport trading cards, Star Wars in particular.

I feel sad because she was on a roll again. She had the new Star Wars movies. I don't know how much of a role she would have had in the next two, but she was a general now. Then there was her new book and the publicity tour. She was coming back to LA from that promotion. It seemed like everything was going for her, at least professionally, and then the rug got pulled out.

That's life I guess, but it went too soon for her at only 60. RIP Miss Fisher, Princess Leia will keep your memory alive.

Posts: 10413 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Shake Head

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It makes it even more sad when you think that she predeceased her mother, singer Debbie Reynolds, who is still alive and doing well in her mid 80s

Posts: 4012 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Very sad. I admit I've always wished they'd picked someone else to play Princess Leia, but now I can't think of anyone who would have done better.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I was hoping she was going to be OK, but it sounded terrible on Friday, and indeed it was.
I keep hearing that C-3PO line from the start of the original movie, "There'll be no escape for the Princess this time." Cue sad Artoo sound. Loop it. Keep it playing. Don't stop. I'll tell you when. Frown

I don't know how the ending of "Rogue One" could be made any more poignant, given its closing scene, with this terrible thing happening only a week or so after its release.
At least we get to see her again in Episode 8. All of that has been filmed, if I'm not mistaken. "Star Wars" can never and will never be the same again, so key was her character to it all. I always wanted to see her use a lightsaber. Sigh.

Condolences to her family, friends, and fellow fans, there are so many of us. I'm pretty sure she knew that. She was famous for twice as long as she wasn't, and largely for her talent. That's icon stuff.

Posts: 3329 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As if things could not get worse, now they just rushed her mom, Debby Reynolds to the hospital for a possible stroke

Posts: 4012 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
It's officially worse...
Frown

Posts: 3329 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Terrible news, Debbie Reynolds had a stroke and has died one day after the death of her daughter Carrie.

My condolences to the Fisher family, who must be reeling from one unexpected tragic event to the next. I'm not going to say anything trite, you can't find much comfort here, just that mother and daughter will be well remembered and many people who never knew them feel very sad tonight. Shake Head

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
She did a couple of great guest appearances on "30 Rock" a few years ago.

After hearing of her heart attack, I assumed she would be on the mend as heart problems are more easily treated these days. It was a sad surprise to hear of her passing. For me this year it was hardest to hear about losing her and Glenn Frey.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The news just came that Carrie Fisher has passed away. I felt very sad hearing that, and not just because she has been a contemporary celebrity for many of us who collect non-sport trading cards, Star Wars in particular.

I feel sad because she was on a roll again. She had the new Star Wars movies. I don't know how much of a role she would have had in the next two, but she was a general now. Then there was her new book and the publicity tour. She was coming back to LA from that promotion. It seemed like everything was going for her, at least professionally, and then the rug got pulled out.

That's life I guess, but it went too soon for her at only 60. RIP Miss Fisher, Princess Leia will keep your memory alive.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
As I heard the details of Carrie's heart attack I had little hope of her pulling through. I believe she never regained consciousness. Even though I know and have seen some of the great talent by Debbie Fisher, to me she will always be Carrie's mom. Her biggest moments were before my time and her influences and style were for those just a few years before me. As an 11 year old, Star Wars changed it all.

I met Carrie back at the 2011 DragonCon and was glad to have done so. She signed a rare Hildebrandt Star Wars poster along with Peter Mayhew. She was open, friendly, talkative and took as much time as possible with each fan.

Although I didn't really know these people, the likes of Carrie Fisher, David Bowie, Florence Henderson, Prince, Gene Wilder and John Glenn had their influences on my childhood and teen years.

While my most important teachers gave me the tools and attitudes to walk the paths in life that I have gone. These others often helped shape my dreams, imagination and sometimes interpretations of various life experiences.

It is both sad and strange knowing they are no longer there.

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post