Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Show Returns
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Quantum Leap returned after 2 months off, and apparently 2 new episodes into it, the ratings are in the basement, the lowest ever.

However, reportedly NBC has renewed it for Season 2

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The "Night Court" reboot premiers tonight on NBC with John Larroquette returning.

https://www.nbc.com/night-cour...jEAAYASAAEgJJPvD_BwE

Posts: 4011 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I checked it out because I watched the original show. A second episode followed the pilot. It had the same humor but the timing of the dialogue was off as it often can be on a new show especially when you can compare it to the old version. It has the same theme but played differently.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The "Night Court" reboot premiers tonight on NBC with John Larroquette returning.

https://www.nbc.com/night-cour...jEAAYASAAEgJJPvD_BwE

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I only caught the second episode, and I thought the new "Night Court" was really bad. There was laughter on the soundtrack after every line an actor spoke and none of it was funny. I really can't remember if the original was this stupid, but it didn't seem like it at the time.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heard on the radio that Night Court did surprisingly well, the best ratings for NBC's time slot in 5 years. No joke.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I saw the first two episodes of the new "Night Court" on Peacock+ last night. Loved seeing Larroquette as Dan Fielding again, truly one of the great sitcom characters, although in this day and probably at his age, he likely won't be tapping into the womanizing aspect of his personality, which was certainly good for laughs back then. On the original series, John had the Best Supporting Comedy Actor Emmy Award so on lock that after he'd won it 4 times in a row, he removed himself from contention.

I would've liked for him to have found one of Harry's funny hats in the box at the end of the pilot and briefly put it on, but the surprise snakes were good, too.

The strength of the show is, as with "Barney Miller" before it ("Night Court" was created by a writer from that show), mainly in each week's characters that are brought before the law. Those were well done in the first 2 episodes, so it was a promising start in that regard.

I wish Harry or Markie or Mac were here for this, all gone too soon. Frown
The bailiffs were always funny on the show, as well, starting with Selma and Florence, who both passed away during the original run. I'd love to see their replacement Marsha "Roz" Warfield appear in a guest spot. She seems to have retired from the business about 20 years ago, but fairly recently appeared in 6 episodes of "9-1-1". She's 68 years old now. Richard Moll, the actor who played Bull, is 80, but maybe he can make a cameo appearance.

Cheers to NBC for this one plus "Young Rock" and "Lopez vs. Lopez". I might have to give their "American Auto" sitcom a try.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I wasn't really a fan of "That 70's Show" on Fox-TV having actually been in a kid in the 70's and finding it inauthentic, but I went ahead and watched the first 2 episodes of "That 90's Show" on NetFlix to catch up with the original characters, now all in their late 30's, who will be appearing in various cameos. (All characters, that is, except the one played by Danny Masterson, who has some current legal troubles).

It didn't seem very 90's either, and the laugh track is fairly jarring since most sitcoms don't use them anymore, but the parents, now grandparents, remain funny, particularly the great Kurtwood Smith. The kids seem like a good batch of young actors. I might watch the rest of the first season, once I finish the rest of the stuff on NetFlix.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The animated "King of the Hill" is returning with new episodes on Hulu.

It previously ran on FOX from 1997 to 2009.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a pilot so far, but there is a reboot of "Matlock" in the works at CBS. Andy Griffith was the original. This one will have Kathy Bates in the title role.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
X-files is getting a reboot (not a revival) The director of the Marvel Black Panther films is the show runner.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was supposed to be an animated X-Files spin-off on FOX in 2020, about a group of misfits. It was called X-Files: Albuquerque, but it never saw the light of day

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to see how the show has been going but I'm still going through other stuff I've recorded. It makes sense that the Dan Fielding character was going to grow up and change at some point. I remember people commenting that "The Office" should come back with Michael back to the way he was but it seemed the whole point was to show his character maturing. That show should have ended when he left but it went on for two more seasons and it was a mess. I thought they managed a good wrap-up in the final episode with a change in management, some longtime characters leaving, and some of the recent hires staying.

Yeah, Iiked the snakes too. Nice touch.

I read that Night Court's creator, Reinhold Weege, died several years ago and then wondered what the process was in bringing back the show. I saw Larroquette on a couple of talk shows but he didn't get into how that happened other than how he was brought on.

Yes, the characters brought into the police station on "Barney Miller" were all well-written so there was a reality about that show and Weege brought that quality to "Night Court" though the humor seemed drier overall on "Miller."

Oh yeah, Anderson, Post, and Robinson died too young. I never considered that someone would try to revive the show with almost all of the main cast gone.

I'm glad Bob Newhart is still with us - a comic genius. I didn't watch a lot of "Big Bang Theory" during its original run but I liked that they honored him and brought him back.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I saw the first two episodes of the new "Night Court" on Peacock+ last night. Loved seeing Larroquette as Dan Fielding again, truly one of the great sitcom characters, although in this day and probably at his age, he likely won't be tapping into the womanizing aspect of his personality, which was certainly good for laughs back then. On the original series, John had the Best Supporting Comedy Actor Emmy Award so on lock that after he'd won it 4 times in a row, he removed himself from contention.

I would've liked for him to have found one of Harry's funny hats in the box at the end of the pilot and briefly put it on, but the surprise snakes were good, too.

The strength of the show is, as with "Barney Miller" before it ("Night Court" was created by a writer from that show), mainly in each week's characters that are brought before the law. Those were well done in the first 2 episodes, so it was a promising start in that regard.

I wish Harry or Markie or Mac were here for this, all gone too soon. Frown
The bailiffs were always funny on the show, as well, starting with Selma and Florence, who both passed away during the original run. I'd love to see their replacement Marsha "Roz" Warfield appear in a guest spot. She seems to have retired from the business about 20 years ago, but fairly recently appeared in 6 episodes of "9-1-1". She's 68 years old now. Richard Moll, the actor who played Bull, is 80, but maybe he can make a cameo appearance.

Cheers to NBC for this one plus "Young Rock" and "Lopez vs. Lopez". I might have to give their "American Auto" sitcom a try.

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did it seem that the show was made by people who only saw the 70's later rather than by those that lived through them? I kind of lost interest after Tanya Roberts left but still watched a few episodes later. I went from kindergarten to the first couple of years of high school during the 70's so I didn't get to enjoy them as an adult but it was a great time to be a kid (cereal box and Cracker Jack prizes, baseball/football cards, plastic animal toys, G.I. Joe, gum machine toys, etc.).

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I wasn't really a fan of "That 70's Show" on Fox-TV having actually been in a kid in the 70's and finding it inauthentic, but I went ahead and watched the first 2 episodes of "That 90's Show" on NetFlix to catch up with the original characters, now all in their late 30's, who will be appearing in various cameos. (All characters, that is, except the one played by Danny Masterson, who has some current legal troubles).

It didn't seem very 90's either, and the laugh track is fairly jarring since most sitcoms don't use them anymore, but the parents, now grandparents, remain funny, particularly the great Kurtwood Smith. The kids seem like a good batch of young actors. I might watch the rest of the first season, once I finish the rest of the stuff on NetFlix.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Who was clamoring for more "Matlock?" Why even call it "Matlock" when Andy Griffith was Matlock and he's gone. It's like some new kid singing Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly with His Song." I hear it playing in grocery stores sometimes. Why play that when you could play the original?

I heard that there's interest in reviving "The Rockford Files." Who other than James Garner could be Jim Rockford? Who could write a good Rockford Files episode now. A couple of the original writers weren't quite getting it when they did those movies in the 90's. It was still great to see those, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Just ordered a pilot so far, but there is a reboot of "Matlock" in the works at CBS. Andy Griffith was the original. This one will have Kathy Bates in the title role.